www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1711938725528735/?locale=en_US

Trailer: 

- but I'm not going to watch it myself - often trailers spoil too much 😇

Some shots:

sc81ty.jpg

sc81u0.jpg

sc81u1.jpg

sc81tz.jpg

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

61 REPLIES 61

Yeah, I think Index will be my choice too - also for the big fov and awesome sound. And I feel this game was made for external tracking. I really don't mind using the CV1 for this game - but my CV1 is constantly available, sensors haven't been moved since 2017, lol. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

pyroth309
Level 14

Yea that's really the main difference for me. The quest 2 looks quite good though I am getting a random stutter but that's likely my router from playing over air link. I rolled over my good link cable this morning with my computer chair...on today of all days lol. I didn't realize I had knocked it on the floor while playing. Index has the bigger FoV, a bit better colors to me and the incredible audio. I don't have a good 3rd party audio solution for my Quest 2. I should probably invest in one but at this point I am kinda waiting to see what's coming.

Either way, no matter what HMD you have, this game is awesome. I had it quite playable on the G2 but I had to reduce it to like 70% and if I have to do that, i'd rather use Index controllers.

pyroth309
Level 14

I had to back down to 250% when I got to the Chiron station. I'm really loving this so far. Super immersive for me and it's so nostalgia quenching exploring things with Liv again. 10/10 so far and the best VR game I've played since Alyx without question.

pyroth309
Level 14

I got a good ways in now and this game is incredible. I unfortunately have to get on Kid duty so be a few hours before I can resume but this game is really awesome to me. The only thing stopping me from saying it's definitely better than Alyx or other games is no combat but it's on par at worst I think due to the story. Look forward to wrapping it up later.

I'm staring at the first ticks too, lol - and also got stuttering at that station. But I'm only using res 200% - have ms on and 90 Hz. Thought CV1 ss 2.0 would be better, but it also had stuttering. It does not feel like the game supports ASW 2.0 properly, maybe due to using its own engine, the CV1 stuttering was quite easy to see. 

Not sure the game is that well optimized, if we get stuttering, many users may have severe performance issues. 

I did experience some crashes, but seemed to happen more often with CV1 than Index, strange and could be a coincidence. 

RoadToVR said the game is just more of the same. Not sure what they have been smoking. Juno (AI), Popcorn (Cube-Sat that can communicate with you) and ticks (free moving alien life forms) and much more are new elements in the game. The interactions with Liv have increased and Liv has gotten 4k-ish ultramersion skin textures. Graphics and poly count look much better, especially in large locations. Soft shadows are now used, and volumetric light sources look denser. It's by far not just more of the same. The tram was completely new too etc.

Matteo mentioned he's using 120 Hz and res 140% with his Index and RTX 3090. Seems rather low res, but he has completed the game and must know the locations having the worst performances. 

Seems misguided going for 120 fps in this game though, as res using the Index will be so low that you'll get very blurry image quality or tons of jaggies. The "80 Hz + res 250% + no ms" approach does seem much better, might have to try that one later. It might be acceptable having a few reprojections through out the game, and now we know we can replay Lone Echo 2 in much better quality using existing hmds when the RTX 5090 arrives, lol.

pyroth309
Level 14

Yea I had to further back down to 230. Game is quite taxing in some areas and when you dip under 80 it gets choppy. At this resolution it really is a toss up between Quest 2 and Index visually. I've been swapping between the two interchangeably and they both look similar. Different pros and cons with each.

I'm running Quest on air link at max resolution, 72 hz and 3300 Encode width with a fixed 200 bitrate and link sharpening enabled. I had it at 3680 but that's what was causing a stutter in this game. Went down a little and it's been good since with my 3090. Not doing any supersampling so there's some jaggies but it's subtle enough for me.

As far as the game, it feels very much like Alyx in some of these levels with the biomass breathing effect on the walls and the ticks resembling head crabs. I've also got a device now that adds some combat like element. Game is great to me.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I had a little more trouble last night with high-res textures not loading. I was in a cargo area, and the textures on several large containers were a blurry mess. After hanging out in the area for several minutes, some of the proper textures eventually loaded, while others never did. I noticed a few other textures as well that weren't loading in. I'm not sure whether there is a particular setting that would help with this, or if it's just an issue with the game engine. Still having fun with it, though. I'm at the point where I'm just about to receive some chassis and tool upgrades.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

The only place I've had that issue is out in the open world, the distant textures don't always load but I imagine it's unavoidable due to the loading on the GPU. In all of the actual areas I haven't had any texture issues except at the most distant lods, those like to pop in. Are you on the High preset?