www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1711938725528735/?locale=en_US

Trailer: 

- but I'm not going to watch it myself - often trailers spoil too much 😇

Some shots:

sc81ty.jpg

sc81u0.jpg

sc81u1.jpg

sc81tz.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

157 REPLIES 157

darkgio6
Protege

I'm here to report same issue with crashes.

My rig CV1 + 2080Ti + i9 9900KS + 32GB RAM. All stock clocks.

I've found that it crashed more frequently when I rised the resolution scaling. But still, it crashed a bit less when it was at 1.0

Also I've got a lot more stability when I lowered all settings to Medium, but then I tried textures at High and it crashed again. I guess that instead of working poorly when the settings are beyond what the hardware can manage, it just crashes.

I never had crashes with the first game. I did two full runs without a single hiccup. My PC never crashes with any other game, but this one won't let me play for 10 minutes straight.

I'll try playing it with low settings (something I don't love) to see if it's really a buggy software issue.

pyroth309
Visionary

That's unfortunate, try turning off the auto resolution scaling. That feature is known to crash cards in other games, worth a try.

Feeling more fortunate that it ran flawless for me lol. It was still a 10/10 experience for me with the loading issues, bugs, and other issues..but I wouldn't give it a 10 if it crashed on me like that obviously. Shame.

@darkgio6 I've only had a couple of LE2 crashes/bug splats (which I reported) with my Q2/rtx3090/Air Link combo.  I'm using High settings (I would think your 2080ti should be ok with high as well) and I simply disabled the in-game graphics setting to disable auto-res scaling (scroll down to see this) and I have not had a LE2 crash since. 

Also, I've left the in-game SS at 1.0x since my Q2 at Oculus Desktop device graphics at 80Hz and full right res slider already looks fantastic.  Looks much better than my old Rift cv1 ever did with LE1 at 2.0xSS.  I also disabled auto-res scaling on LE1 btw.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@pyroth309 wrote:

That's unfortunate, try turning off the auto resolution scaling. That feature is known to crash cards in other games, worth a try.

Feeling more fortunate that it ran flawless for me lol. It was still a 10/10 experience for me with the loading issues, bugs, and other issues..but I wouldn't give it a 10 if it crashed on me like that obviously. Shame.

Going to try it right now!

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@darkgio6 I've only had a couple of LE2 crashes/bug splats (which I reported) with my Q2/rtx3090/Air Link combo.  I'm using High settings (I would think your 2080ti should be ok with high as well) and I simply disabled the in-game graphics setting to disable auto-res scaling (scroll down to see this) and I have not had a LE2 crash since. 

Also, I've left the in-game SS at 1.0x since my Q2 at Oculus Desktop device graphics at 80Hz and full right res slider already looks fantastic.  Looks much better than my old Rift cv1 ever did with LE1 at 2.0xSS.  I also disabled auto-res scaling on LE1 btw.

Thanks. I'm trying disabling auto-res scaling right now.

darkgio6
Protege

Well... it crashed again with auto-res scaling off and VRS off.

I also played with SS at 1.0 in game and high settings on all 3 of my headsets that I tried. Guess I'll restate my settings for troubleshooting purposes.

Quest 2 I ran air link with full resolution slider right, 72 hz, 3300 encode resolution width, and 200 encode bitrate and Link Sharpening enabled. Everything else default. That was about the best I could get it for my rig which is a 3090 and I9 10900K after a lot of tinkering. 72hz doesn't bother me so I ran that for the additional overhead. I did try 80hz though and it worked fine for me when I tried. I only played a couple of hours with Quest 2 but never had any issues and it looked great. 

For Index, I settled on 200% Supersampling in SteamVR with Motion smoothing forced off (engages too soon in a lot of revive games and adds stutter). I also had Advanced Supersampling filter off. I ended up playing most of the game on Index due to the FoV, audio(just have stock audio on Quest 2) and the better colors than my Q2.

With G2, performance was rough for some reason. Wasn't sure if it was something with Revive or the game but I ended up having to go down to like 70% SS to stop a weird stutter I was getting. At that level of SS, I preferred the FoV of Index for flying around outside. Made a big difference for immersion for me personally.

As always YMMV.

@darkgio6 wrote:

Well... it crashed again with auto-res scaling off and VRS off.

Doh, well was worth a try to know for sure. Sounds like Devs need to patch.

@darkgio6  Maybe try it again with auto res  (adaptive res) off and VRS on.  Not sure but I think VRS may actually help reduce load a bit based on its description.   Also avoid adding any AA (-none).

Also, what SS are you using and are you also using OTT to apply this.  I use OTT to mainly manage audio and turn on/off ovr runtime services.  I leave it's global SS at 0, asw=off, and also set ovr priority to above normal (does not seem to make much difference normal-high tbh).  I also use OTT to finetune some games/sims.

Probably going to remain a mystery for some I guess.  Too bad, really.

Edit; saw one person solved bug splats was to go into bios and disable ram XMP.  Just thought I’d mention this.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

XMP has been mentioned several times, and it would make sense that although gpu and cpu overclocking are the usual suspects, Lone Echo 1-2's problem may lie elsewhere. 

I've also been reading all LE2 reviews in the Store, and clearly technical issues are the cause for the rather low rating of about 8/10 - while the first game is 9.4/10. Many also have severe crashing problems with LE1, but LE2 also suffers from problems loading textures which LE1 did not. 

I think the devs were kinda forced to release the game now, surely it would have benefited from a playable demo to iron out the rough spots before the full release. 

Having spent much time reading about crashing problems with Lone Echo it feels like old problems are carried over to the Lone Echo 2, and now are even worse. The devs seem to concentrate on users' rig being the problem, but I don't think that's true. I'm not going to try turning off XMP - my rig works flawlessly with all other games - and last night I did play LE2 for more than an hour with no problems. 

I do hope that Oculus/Facebook provides RAD with sufficient resources to follow up on the complaints and to patch the game - with so much feedback I do hope something will emerge... Also strange with no patch so far - with a game this size, errors will be many. Medal of Honor had many patches delivered in no time, but I hope RAD is spending the time gathering info to make one high-quality patch instead of many small ones... 

Btw, for what it's worth most of the time I'm getting crashes seems to be when new dialogs are starting - like when loading/playing voices. It's totally impressive that I can enter and exit the Argos with no visible loading at all. But surely the game is constantly loading assets and textures, and Lone Echo 2 may be more than many rigs are able to handle. I do wonder if the crashes are the price some of us are paying to avoid tons of loading screens.... 🤔 Alyx has way more loading screens and no texture problems that I know of. Furthermore, Lone Echo 2 is only 21GB, while Alyx is 65GB, but LE2 seems to have a great number of high-res textures too. Thus LE2 may use highly compressed data which needs to be decompressed while the game is running - this may take up much cpu power, and could of course put a burden on ram too - where even the slightest XMP problem could be a major issue. But I'm just guessing. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"