www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1711938725528735/?locale=en_US

Trailer: 

- but I'm not going to watch it myself - often trailers spoil too much 😇

Some shots:

sc81ty.jpg

sc81u0.jpg

sc81u1.jpg

sc81tz.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

157 REPLIES 157

darkgio6
Protege

Well guys, I disabled XMP in the BIOS, set all to max, and it worked for about 1 hour without a crash. What was weird is that when I disabled it, the first boot crashed. Got back to the BIOS and set all to default ("optimal settings" is what they call it) and it worked.

The settings change list in the BIOS, before rebooting, didn't show anything (because XMP was the only thing that I've turned on) but somehow it worked. Maybe there was a feature bugged in the BIOS settings that requiered a proper roll back to default settings to work properly.

Anyways, you saved me. Thank you very much

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

It's been more than a week, and less than 200 ratings in the Rift Store - this is way too low, and even lower than Medal of Honor, thus my non-spoiler gloves are now off - people need to see some proper screenshots and know a bit more about the story. I'll start with the toughest crowd 😅 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/qcp2r2/lone_echo_2_best_graphics_in_a_vr_game_and_the/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

Yea I should have mentioned XMP profile turn off again, but since we talked about it earlier in the thread I didn't bring it up again.  That has been a problem for many games and systems. I've seen people that just turning XMP off wasn't enough, they had to declock the ram down to like 2166 to get it to stop crashing. Ram instability can be a hard problem to detect because you can play numerous games without a problem...and then one slams it the right way and it's crash city.

With Lone Echo 2 having such long load times, I imagine a lot of data is flowing through RAM which it's trigging crashes that other games don't.

But yea, as I mentioned previously, I fought an xmp nightmare on my old system and went through 6 sticks of Ram before I could find an acceptable one in both speed and stability that wouldn't crash.

This go round, I went with a high end gaming motherboard with high quality ram and I haven't had any problems with anything. When I first got this system I ran a memory stability test for like 30 hours and couldn't cause a crash...because I didn't want a repeat of last build.

As much as I hate leaving reviews and rarely do lol, I guess I'll leave one for Lone Echo 2 since I had a great time.

Awesome, do remember to mention you had no crashes 😉

It's been hard work, but now I'm done - just added:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/qcw6zi/lone_echo_2_best_graphics_in_a_vr_game_and_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/qcv70z/lone_echo_2_best_graphics_in_a_vr_game_and_t...

Lol, really a bad idea posting 20 LE2 shots on 3 different SubReddits,  but these have about 500,000 members in total (although some may be the same). I've spent like 5 hours answering questions and the like. Now gonna enter the Lone Echo 2 portal and see you all tomorrow 😉

@darkgio6 wrote:

Well guys, I disabled XMP in the BIOS, set all to max, and it worked for about 1 hour without a crash. What was weird is that when I disabled it, the first boot crashed. Got back to the BIOS and set all to default ("optimal settings" is what they call it) and it worked.

The settings change list in the BIOS, before rebooting, didn't show anything (because XMP was the only thing that I've turned on) but somehow it worked. Maybe there was a feature bugged in the BIOS settings that requiered a proper roll back to default settings to work properly.

Anyways, you saved me. Thank you very much

Weeeeeeellll.... it crashed again, and again, and again

There isn't even a pattern for the crashes. It works for one hour, crashes. Start again, it crashes after 2 minutes. Back to the checkpoint, it crashes after 10 minutes... and so on.

I uninstalled the whole game and Oculus platform, reinstalled everything on a different drive. Same results.

At one point I started watching at the audio devices. Maybe there was some conflict. I'm using a bluetooth receiver connected to the original speakers because the flex died (common for the CV1). It works with everything but it was worth to check if this was the problem. Tried default PC speakers, tried monitor speakers. Same results.

I hope they patch this soon because the game looks awesome.

Again, I've read tons of crashing reports from Lone Echo 1 the last 4 years. People have done close to everything trying to solve it - but I've seen no clear evidence of what's really wrong. Not sure it's a problem users can fix - I think there's a problem with the code being exposed in certain conditions. 

Also had a severe crash last night, not sure the save game works, can't even load it, it crashes every time. Might have to go 30 min back to the previous save game... That's a first. 

With 50 devs behind Lone Echo 2, some must have had crashing issues too - sometimes I wonder if we don't get a patch because it's something devs have been trying to fix for 4 years and somehow they cannot 🤔

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, if anyone wants to see Harlan in full res - Index res 200% High setting, then he's here - you'll need to click on the image to get the full size:

Spoiler
20211014214728_1.jpg

Bummer - that didn't work - this forum automatically changes shots to 999 x 999 res. But this should work - the image should be 1604x1604 - for 1 eye, thus Index panels here get like 3208x1604 close to the panel res (super sampling has been applied already, this shot is what's being sent to one panel):

http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikelimages/22102021-1.jpg

Seems I may have to eat some of my previous words (and I guess @pyroth309 will let me hear for my stubbornness for updating drivers for years to come, lol), but it seems that updating to the latest Nvidia driver may have had a nice effect on Lone Echo 2. I really dislike updating drivers just for one game, but Lone Echo 2 is a special game - and the most important one I have right now.

I've just had a 3 hours session - no crashes, perfect performance. Well, 80 fps/Hz, but res 200%. It's not real science, just observations, but I got the impression that performance is better with 496.13 vs. my old 471.11. Texture seems to load slightly slower than 471.11 - saw some missing textures where I normally don't see missing textures. So far never been able to get 3 hours with no crashing - in fact the game worked flawlessly today. 

Could still be a random stroke of luck, need to put in more hours. 

Btw, even if 471.11 may seem old, BableTechReview for long recommended 472.12 - and just today recommended changing to 496.13:

https://babeltechreviews.com/geforce-496-13-driver-performance/

Quote: "Based on our previous results and findings, we recommend Ampere and Turing users to update to the latest GeForce 496.13 driver. Its raw performance and smoothness or frametimes consistency level are overall on par with our previously recommended driver 472.12 using both NVIDIA GPU architectures."

I know that many with severe crashes are using the latest drivers, so the above info may not necessarily be of any help.