www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1711938725528735/?locale=en_US

Trailer: 

- but I'm not going to watch it myself - often trailers spoil too much 😇

Some shots:

sc81ty.jpg

sc81u0.jpg

sc81u1.jpg

sc81tz.jpg

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

151 REPLIES 151

TheTonaZ
Level 5

Thanks! that was very kind from you.

Actualy i tried searching before posting, no luck.

Thank you again.

RuneSR2
Level 15

Saw this new review in the Store - and to me it nicely captures the game's current situation:

"Beautiful Nightmare

Well, what to say.... Such a beautiful story destroyed by bad graphics with lot of bugs. Where to start? My rig is I9-10850K, 64GB RAM, fast nvme for os, another nvme for data, RTX 3070, Quest 2 with link cable (or airlink, doesn't matter). You put all settings to high - game is not playable, glitch after glitch, crash randomly several times. Memory usage on 3070 is almost full (7.9 from 8GB) and this is first problem- you would need 24GB on card maybe to get textures loaded in full i presume. GPU utilization over 90%. On opposite side you switch all to low- game crashes less BUT graphics is just very bad. It's much worst than Echo 1, textures not loading, you are not able to read text etc. Don't know what had been done to original game engine but something went wrong, why reinvent wheel? When all settings are on LOW - GPU utilization is around 70% and 7.1GB memory usage on card. Funny enough CPU utilization in both settings is less than 20%... I bought this game for story and hoped for better graphics (long develop time). Story line feels strong for now but technically this game is broken. Devs knows that... looks like they had either tight timelines from oculus, something is broken inside their team or they focused or other more important(money, money) projects. Do not recommended in this state, unfortunately 😞 "

Checking RAD - they've gone silent on Twitter - not a word since the game launched Oct 12:

https://twitter.com/RAD_Studios

On RAD's Homepage, Lone Echo 2 doesn't even exist - no trace of the game:

https://readyatdawn.com/

https://readyatdawn.com/games/

And we get no patches, although it's evident bugs are plenty, even extremely severe bugs. 

In some ways it's like the game doesn't really exist - no support apart from some meaningless chatter in RAD's Discord channel. 

Seems to me that all funding has been removed, no resources available for fixing the game at all. Or maybe it'll come if the game sells enough copies and reach some milestone - which might be difficult with all the bad reviews due to severe game crashes. Right now there're only 268 ratings in the Store - that's much less than Medal of Honor: Above & Beyond (which has 359 ratings in the Rift Store and 1516 ratings on Steam - so that's about 2,000 ratings, and if I remember correctly Medal of Honor did reach a lot more than 300 ratings the first month - and of course Steam mattered).  

I'm not convinced Lone Echo 2 lacks optimization, but maybe - on the other hand the graphics are so extreme I really consider a RTX 3090 close to the minimum for the game - and this way RAD may have made another game for the top 1% of the PCVR players... 

If RAD can't fix the crashes, at least they should implement a new way to save your game more frequently. Can't be that hard - unless you're all out of funding. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

TheTonaZ
Level 5

May i say something? He got some serious deep issues with his PC.

Game runs fine on my 2080ti - Ryzen 7 (very much less than his pc), with some fps dips in heavy environments, but if i put lightning on medium it is fine again. Graphics are NOT that intensive.

VR gaming really needs a clean and functional PC. If someone have no clue how to mantain a PC healty, it is his problem.

Of course, and surely the game works fine for many/some - but I've read every review in the Store and many more on Reddit. It's my firm impression that many have severe issues with the game and that the devs aren't responding in a normal (or expected) way. I got crashes too - my rig is extremely streamlined for VR, not even Office is installed, only Win10, Oculus app and Steam 😉 

Medal of Honor Above & Beyond had several patches in very few days, which is expected as very big games usually have bugs you don't see before tons of players start playing the game. About 1 month after Lone Echo 2 has launched, not a single patch has arrived - that would be fine if this game didn't have (m)any issues, but that's not exactly the impression I get from reading user reviews. 

@RuneSR2  A LE2 patch just came out today, finally.  Looking at their discord channel it does not seem to do much for some.  I'll give it a go later today to see If it works better or not.

A patch has gone live to implement the following:

Fixed an issue causing loading screens to happen in the Exterior areas of the game, specifically in:
Powerlines and Generators A
Harlan's Ship
Research Facility
Spaceport
Manufacturing
Astraea Wreckage

Fixed a crash that occurred when using Multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA).

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Awesome - I hope - I have not been playing the game for some days, also to make it last longer and to await a patch. And had too much work. 

My dream would be to have all textures etc loaded onto the video card to avoid loading screens - which might also reduce crashes - I'll probably give the patch a try later. 

Maybe I'll need a drink before patching, lol - at least now I got 30 - 60 min before the crashes - what could possible be worse... 

(Maybe a crash every 5 to 10 min?)  

4cfc644e76854d6cfe92f58219d2273a25-14-courage-the-cowardly-dog.rsquare.w1200

RuneSR2
Level 15

Just patched and tested the game. Performance feels the same. Had a long session, about an hour, and tried to stress the game loading many locations, and eventually the game still crashed. Maybe it's better than before, but need to test it more. 

I also ran a few of saves in detailed areas and while I never got any crashes I did get a few textures changes (low-high res) kick in a few times.  So, no obvious fixes with this patch that I can tell.  Also seems to be reported the same on their discord channel.  They say that LE2 has been fully tested with nvidia series 3000 gpu’s but not the case with my 3090, lol!

I think someone like Carmack needs to jump in and give the developer a hand fixing all this.  A bit embarrassing if this is truly the last AAA pcvr title from Oculus Studios.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Kinda feels like the devs were forced to release the game too early. It's really a gigantic game when doing all the subquests - I'm already at 16 hours, might easily be 24 hours before I'm done. Lone Echo took me about 10 hours including all the subquests (and for those thinking I'm slow - did you find all the 30+ CubeSats - with no help?). 

Having to QA/QC such a massive game may be a colossal task - and might not really be possible/feasible, before you get feedback from thousands of users to pinpoint specific flaws. So no hard feelings - I'm really happy to see a patch  - and hope we get some more! 

RuneSR2
Level 15

Just saw this Lone Echo 2 review, which greatly fueled my hypertension, lol:

le2.png

I don't usually consider other persons for unintelligent, idiots or imbeciles, but sometimes our views upon specific matters just differ greatly. Like here. Unfortunately that user is not alone, even well-known reviewers have done something similarly:

"Lone Echo 2 feels fantastic to control and is very comfortable to play both standing and seated, but up to this point, I’ve described one mechanic in an eight-hour story-driven VR experience."

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/lone-echo-2-review-oculus

So Lone Echo 2 is short as a demo - and just 8 hours for $40?! 

I hope @pyroth309 can forgive me for providing a few details about his savegame - after a severe problem I got his savegame which was about same location as my previous savegame. I noticed Pyroth309 spent about 11 hours to get to this location (about 70% through the game I assume). Maybe my old savegame had even more hours, I don't remember. But Pyroth had completed many subquests - and later I tried another similar savegame, same location, but with no subquests done. Game time was at only 7 hours in that savegame. So a massive difference of 4 hours - and I think Pyroth is much faster than me to complete the subquest, because I spend too much time floating around checking textures and ... stuff 🙂 

My point: This game is only a "demo" or 8 hours long if you hurry through the game and do no subquests at all. If you don't hurry, the game may easily be at least 16 hours. I'll probably need 24 hours - and that's not even counting all the quests I have to do twice because the game crashed and didn't save. Note that the game time measured is the lowest time you have - every time you die, you go back and that time is not measured. The more you die, the more uncounted game time you have. I have a lot of uncounted game time 🙂

It greatly annoys me having a reviewer from IGN telling the world that Lone Echo 2 is a short 8 hours experience, when the game has so much more to offer. Instead of thinking the reviewer is plain wrong, maybe there're are also things the developers could have done better. Maybe by showing how many of the subquests you found and completed when leaving certain sections of the game. Problem is that most subquests are hidden - you only find them by exploring. The more you explore, the more subquests you get. If you don't explore and just follow the main quests, the game may indeed be completed in 8 hours and you may have no clue that you missed most of the game.

In short - explore - find all the subquests - complete all the subquests - and Lone Echo 2 might really not be much shorter than Asgard's Wrath 😉