cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo II launches October 12! (delayed from August 24)

kojack
MVP
MVP

YAY!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/lone-echo-ii-launch-date-and-price-revealed-plus-discount-for-lone-echo/

It is a Rift exclusive game, but supports Quest via Link/Airlink.

From today until the launch, Lone Echo 1 is reduced to $9.99us.

Lone Echo was a great game, I can't wait for the sequel.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
32 REPLIES 32

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

while it's impossible to get perfect blacks with the Q2, it is far from the grey's and blotches (except for the odd compression artifacts) that some users report here and at reddit imho.  

another example of how good the Q2 lcd panels are imho and how wireless WH is so much nicer to play sitting on my swivel chair rather than worrying about a cable.

Agreed on both counts. I think that black levels tend to get tied too closely to the hardware at times, which might be why some of those users blamed their unit. But those of us who have been tinkering in VR from the CV1 release (or prior with the Demo Kits) are aware that Software plays a huge role in both Black Levels and Glare.

I still remember when Oculus released a huge update to the Rift, which reduced the initial Glare it had at launch, while having mixed results with its impact on Black Levels. Most games ended up having reduced glare and maintained the same black levels as before the update. But some games were negatively impacted, and the black levels became the ugly grey blotches we hear about from time to time.

One such game was, Eve Gunjack.

I loved Eve Gunjack, and completed it start to finish when it was first released (2016?). But after that big Rift software update for Glare reduction, the entire "black outer space" background in Eve Gunjack looked quite terrible. It was grey and blotchy everywhere, and made the game rather unplayable for me.

The hardware hadn't changed; the problem was entirely software.

My experience with Quest 2 and black levels has been great. I have shared many of those screenshots here as well, with games like Star Wars Squadrons and Affected the Manor. The black levels were near perfect.

Lastly, the freedom from cables really is amazing. Even with a good cable management system, any drastic movements would result in some "tugging" of the HMD, which is very immersion breaking. It doesn't matter how good the sound quality or visuals, if your HMD gets moved while in VR then immersion is broken.  Even the feel and sound of the cable moving is immersion breaking.

I didn't realize how distracting the cable is until Quest 1. Although Quest 1 had its own immersion breaking issues for me due to the heavy weight. I couldn't enjoy Quest 1 for longer than a few minutes. But Quest 2 has done an amazing job of getting the weight down enough to tolerable levels.

I am excited to see what comes next in the world of Stand-Alone VR HMDs. Hopefully Valve will release something that forces Oculus to step up their game. We need a strong Quest competitor, and Valve is poised to do it.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Just saw the blog post about Lone Echo 2 and came here to post about it, only to find I'm two days late. Anyway, great news! I think I too will revisit Lone Echo with my Quest 2 to experience it with higher res, better clarity, and greater freedom of movement.

Congrats to the fine folks at RAD for finally getting this game to the finish line!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Just popped into the game and spent some time floating around in outer space... Boy, does this game ever look nice on the Quest 2 screen!

I got a bit of stuttering a couple times, because I had it set to 1.5x in-game resolution (from when I last played on CV1), and my Link res was set to 4128x2096, so probably pushing my GTX 1080 a little too hard. Dropping the in-game res to 1.25x seemed to work well enough, and still looked stunning.

I was playing over tethered Link and seated, so of course I ended up swivelling my chair and bashing my controllers into my desk... I'll have to switch back to AirLink next time and play in a different room where I can move around more freely.

Anyway, it felt good to get back into an Echo chassis and fly around again, and I'm even more excited for LE2 now!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Just played Lone Echo until 2am for the second night in a row. Found all the Cube-Sats! I guess now I'm committed, I'll have to see it through to completion for the second time before LE2 releases.

--weird, I wrote this comment early Sunday morning, but it apparently didn't post.

I think we need to make an "I found all the Cube-Sats in Lone Echo" T-shirt 😂 But a great club to be part of - not sure how many members it has 🤔 😁

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I think in my first playthrough I missed some of the interior ones, and I don't think you get another chance at those once you head out into space. I had made sure to get them all before going outside in my second run, which I've resumed after a years-long hiatus.

I thought there might at least be an achievement for it, but I guess Lone Echo pre-dates the achievement system in the Oculus app.

I found all the cubes on my first playthrough, and really enjoyed the bunny easter hunt. Granted, I cheated and watched a YouTube video to find them all lol

There were a couple that took me a long time to find, like the one at the tip of one of the solar panels on the exterior of the Kronos (I did eventually break down and look at YouTube to find that one). I also spent a long time flying around in open space looking for the last of those ones, before realizing I missed one at the first satellite that I had visited.

I had one weird bug that caused me a bit of a setback--I was just finding the final few at Primary Dig Site, and died of radiation exposure (because I didn't deal with the quest objective there before going off to find the Cube-Sats). When I spawned in the Echo pod, my head was out the top of the cage, and I couldn't move. I clicked both sticks to re-centre, and that put me inside the pod, but the exit handle was missing, so I was still trapped. I reloaded many times, and even tried with my CV1, but it was the same every time. I thought my playthrough was ruined, but I finally figured out that I could load a previous save from 10 minutes earlier, so then I just made sure not to die at Primary Dig Site. Now I'm paranoid that if I die again in this run, I'll have the same problem with the spawn pods. I'm about to do the processing line objective, which I recall killed me a few times on my first run, but at least I should have a save point right before it.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Ready At Dawn have just announced that Lone Echo 2 has been delayed until later this year in order to meet the quality they want.

https://medium.com/ready-at-dawn/ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-ii-development-update-august-2021-a85cda17c...

😞

No new date has been announced, just "later this year".

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2_0-1628783869569.png

- but fair enough, we've got tons of new/other/older content, of course we can wait a little more - like Carmack said:

john-carmack-its-done-when-its-done-quote-on-storemypic-e959d.png

- and this does look awesome and worth the wait 😍

1_G6NPIB0JvxYNGbqW50hRlw.JPG

This may be the last great PCVR shot for a looong time, better make it count to the max. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"