cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone echo keeps crashing

Kitkat0981
Explorer
Purchased this game yesterday and keeps crashing.

i have Rift S with i7-9700k with RTX2070 and 32gb ram.

i tried several things in the forums of changing settings and graphics and still keeps crashing. Requested refund says I played more then 2hrs yet I haven’t even done 10% of the game.

for being the most expensive game in the store this is REALLY BAD !

what next?

from what I read the developers are not interested in providing any support.
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well mine continues to crash to bug-splat very early on, usually within 2-5 min after starting the game.
I have tried multitudes of different settings, have tried installing to different library locations, nothing I have tried makes any difference at all.

Attached is a copy of my crash file log. If anyone smarter than me on this stuff sees anything that might be a clue I would sure appreciate it. Seems to me there are a lot of references to some kind of font issues but I don't know.
At this point I am ready to uninstall again for good. While I would like to have been able to play this thing all the way through, I have too many other great games none of which I have an issue with that I can be playing.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

OK, I just played LE for just over 1 hour without a shutdown.  I should note that I reduced the in-game AA to None.  Like Rune's said in the past AA is not that big a deal visually with the cv1 (seemed to help more with my Vive Pro for some reason).  Also, might help reduce loads, who knows, time will tell.

Also, I temporarily disconnected my Flight Sim USB sticks.  I have found a few Oculus store apps that do not like them plugged in for some reason (glider island and voxel) so I thought I'd see if it made any difference with LE.  Probably not, but I'm just trying to eliminate potential problems.

I don't think I had more than 1 or 2 crashes with Lone Echo, and I've completed the game - that was back in 2017. I have been testing the game from time to time, also using Index - never crashed, but I might not have played for more than 30 min...

I maxed out everything, but deactivated MSAA completely - but I did activate temporal antialiasing (seems to provide near-perfect AA using CV1, thus no need for MSAA). Deactivated resolution auto-adjustment (or whatever it's called) - but I did activate all high-performance options etc. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

MistaN147
Honored Guest

Deadaus said:

Similar issue with my set-up. i7-8700K OC to 5GHz (stressed tested stable 12hrs), RTX 2070 latest drivers. Seems problems came up when I discovered the Performance Boost mode and enabled it half way through game.. Would play fine for 15 mins or 30 mins then crash. Disabled it recently and no crash yet...

Seriously, people saying it's caused by RTX is so BS. I have tried the game on 8700k stable 5GHz and stock clock on both 1080ti and 2080ti. The game crash on both cards. 

Frogacuda
Explorer
I played through a couple of times when it was new, but going back I am having these stability problems as well. Playing with a Quest 2. Crashes every 10 mins or so. Intel 8600k, conservative overclock to 4.5Ghz. Everyone here seems to be on intel, and unlocked "k" series chips too, so that might be part of the puzzle.

But also, if I run it through Virtual Desktop it's totally fine, and I know others have said they had luck with Revive. So I think there's also an Oculus SDK problem here as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep there is a big problem for many with this game, never runs for me crashing to desktop once I start playing it every time. None of my many other games have any issue at all, so this one no longer resides on my system.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Yep there is a big problem for many with this game, never runs for me crashing to desktop once I start playing it every time. None of my many other games have any issue at all, so this one no longer resides on my system.

Did you try to Revive it using G2? Many seems to be in luck with Revive, like:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/k5vu63/just_finished_lone_echo_using_revive_and/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/k5vu63/just_finished_lone_echo_using_revive_and/

Have not tried even using Revive yet with my G2, I may have a go and see with Asgard's Wrath at some point. Kinda in deep right now with my second run through of Half Life Alyx along with my combat flight simming , all keeping me busy.
Not sure I will ever allow Lone Echo to be installed again.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

Thanks for the reddit link mate.  I'm looking forward to trying this with my Vive Pro and my nice new Index controllers (coming early next week!).  I tried LE with Revive (1.9.2) a few days ago and it looked fantastic with taa and aa.  Even bigger and better than with my good old cv1.  Vive controllers were hard to manage everything though so hopefully it will work better with Index controllers.  From you link it just sounds like I'll need to remap a couple of things (thrusters away from thumbsick clicking and grip to grab).  Thanks again mate.

Don, played around for about an hour without any game/system crashes.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

K0MIN0
Honored Guest
Just wanted to add what I've found thus far since i was experiencing the same issues with an 9700k and 2070Super, crashing every 5 minutes or so.

I also had a mild OC on the CPU and since setting that back to base clock it hasn't crashed yet after say just over an hour session. also i'll note im using the Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop. Haven't tried the old driver mentioned earlier though, but in my case 80fps at high quality settings is good enough for me, not that I was CPU bound anyway (I had tried 90fps but that introduced too much stuttering IMO).

Thanks to this thread anyway for the tip! 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

Thanks for the reddit link mate.  I'm looking forward to trying this with my Vive Pro and my nice new Index controllers (coming early next week!).  I tried LE with Revive (1.9.2) a few days ago and it looked fantastic with taa and aa.  Even bigger and better than with my good old cv1.  Vive controllers were hard to manage everything though so hopefully it will work better with Index controllers.  From you link it just sounds like I'll need to remap a couple of things (thrusters away from thumbsick clicking and grip to grab).  Thanks again mate.

Don, played around for about an hour without any game/system crashes.

Same here - works perfectly with the Index and Revive 1.9.2 - but doesn't look good with lcd. Actually I really dislike using lcd for this game - taa is extremely blurry and even with res 200% and 4xMSAA jaggies are everywhere. A clear win for oled and especially the Gold Solution you have - the Vive Pro!