cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORE GAMES FOR FEMALES

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a huge gamer!! I'm a 51 year old female and the #1 thing I'm frustrated with the gaming world is the LACK of games for women!!!! It's obviously men design these games given all the violence and fighting ones they have but it SUCKS there aren't more for women! I believe we females are a huge untapped market and there should be more games for women  Like wedding themed, magically themed, raising kids themed, virtual dating themed,  designing homes, just cool settings, fairytale, harry potter, witch,, goddess, gardening, shopping, running a business, beauty salon, just to name a few. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating that we have all these game design companies and yet not one has shown serious interest towards women gamers & customers and created a descent selection to that of games for men! 

26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@blkcat33
"gardening, shopping, running a business" 
To be honest most probably use VR to get away from that .. For me thats real life not virtual 🙂
However ye there isnt much like that for the Quest itself but some good choices on the Rift if you have a decent PC and use link.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd still say that there are fair few games that are unisex though. Sure, there are plenty that are mainly revolved around killing other players but there are also a fair amount that involve puzzle solving and exploration too.

But at the end of the day the vast majority of gamers out there are men so the vast majority of developers will target that demographic because they want to have the cash to cram as much alcohol and drugs into their bodies that money can buy. And that isn't made by releasing The Princess And Unicorn Magic Fashionista Butterfly & Fairy Simulator B) 😄

Developers will ALWAYS go where the money is. And the money lies in dark, horrific, black magick, torture, violence and death with oodles of blood and guts with a bit of gratuitous sex thrown in here in there for good measure. 😄

Javelin396
Adventurer
I'll have some of whatever snowdog is having

Richooal
Consultant
So, I guess that the real problem is that not enough of you females are game developers. You need to encourage females to design female games.

I mean, what you're asking for is kind of like asking for more male netball uniforms to be made available.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

dylan_lineback
Explorer
Video games aren't even gender specific. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a free game SuperMarket for the Rift which is Umm..
I dunno i had just as well pop to tesco for the real experience.

https://youtu.be/flq9igrS1IY

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

So, I guess that the real problem is that not enough of you females are game developers. You need to encourage females to design female games.

I mean, what you're asking for is kind of like asking for more male netball uniforms to be made available.

Yup, I got in trouble in a game industry Facebook Group I was a member of a while back by suggesting a similar thing when one of these ladies was complaining about the lack of women in top level jobs in the industry.

It all comes down to numbers at the end of the day. The more women there are in the industry the more chance there is of them getting top level jobs. Someone accused me several times of being a misogynist for even suggesting that more women need to apply for jobs at the bottom level to eventually get jobs at the top level.

Seemed like common sense to me but I was set upon by a bunch of crazed feminists ???

kojack
MVP
MVP
Not just as a gender issue, but generally there's potentially a lot of people who don't want violence and killing in VR. It's a lot more visceral, people who find a violent desktop game fine may find that VR crosses a line into the uncomfortable.
As well there's a lot of parents buying Quests for their kids, and may not want them playing Boneworks or Saints & Sinners.

There's a fair number of non violent games, but we could have a LOT more. My mother (71) loves Titans of Space and Mission ISS on my Quest 2.

I teach game dev at a college and its great to see an increasing number of female students getting into the game design and VR courses. Sadly not many on the programmer specific side yet.

Possibly the move to finger tracking on the quest will help. Normal controllers are gun-like. Shooting style games are probably the first thing many think of when they first pick up a VR controller, they naturally fit that style. But shooting really doesn't work with empty hand tracking. So maybe that will mean people will be more inclined to make far more varied interactions in games.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Mum (who has been saying that she's 35 for years but I suspect she may be older seeing as I'm 49 and I don't think that's possible these days, I suspect she may be 70 but I wouldn't dare to say so lol) loves playing Elven Assassin and killing Orcs and Trolls 😄

There are plenty of guys that don't like killing anything that moves and plenty of girls that do. But either way the vast majority of gamers love to kill things, so the vast majority of games involve killing things and aren't Princess And Unicorn Magic Fashionista Butterfly & Fairy Simulator games because you're going to make money from the former and rent arrears from the latter B)