cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Powers United Shutting Down

MowTin
Expert Trustee
“We recommend that you delete the game prior to March 1, 2021 to avoid dead space taken up on your device,” the supposed email concludes. The game did have a single-player mode, but it only activated if you couldn’t find people online and replaced them with AI partners. It seems like that requirement could keep you from accessing the single-player portion too.
While it was definitely empowering to embody some of our favorite Marvel characters, we felt the game was far too repetitive in its design.

https://uploadvr.com/marvel-powers-united-shutting-down/

I don't play the game anymore but I hate to think that I paid for a game that I can no longer play. I can still play Doom 3 if I want or Half-Life. 

Anyway, this game was a flop because Oculus doesn't know how to make good games imo. If this had a decent single-player campaign with coop and multiplayer it would have worked better. 

More evidence that they don't care at all about PCVR players. 

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
26 REPLIES 26

Malakite
Explorer
This certainly infuriates me as well.  Thanks for taking our money then taking back what you sold us.  

rstriegel
Honored Guest
I received the notice too. I have unanswered questions, but they provided no contact method.

Can we still play single-player?
Who do we contact with our complaints over this action?
I paid good money for this. Will I receive compensation? 
Are all our games at the same risk?
Should we be contacting the press to remind everyone we don't own what we paid for?
This seems like a good example the press could use to remind the community of the risks of digital content.

pyroth309
Visionary
Can't say I'm surprised. Of all the Oculus games I got hyped about, this one by far let me down the most. Shallow gameplay and super repetitive. It got boring in 20 minutes. Was a shame and now with it shutting down with minimal updates, feels like it was just a cash grab. Hard to believe the same company that made this made Asgard's Wrath.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've probably played it like 5 times, the prequel was nice (=single-player)... 

It's  still here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1298930313503250/

As shown, it fully supports single user - you do not need to play multiplayer, I've only played against bots - which was fine. 

It's kinda "against the rules" to delete games - especially because this game does work fine with bots. Maybe I should play it today ...  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I get why they may do that with MP content................ and it seems they are offering refunds which is something

but I hope VR sports challenge stays for those who have it already.
there seems to be no downside for keeping it. that said, i have
literally played it once since i got it so i wont lose sleep over it.

is it dissapointing.... absolutely. But Steam online games have been
pulled in the past, nintendo did the same with wii stuff and MS have
done it too.

For single player stuff however valve do it the right way..... remove
from sale but let existing owners re download at
will........................ Outrun, duck tales and some of the lego
games spring to mind here but there are others i am sure (they are just the ones I own personally).

Mountain goat mountain was pulled years ago, but i still have it.
(great little number i would be sad to see it go, i dunno how that would
work if i uninstalled it, perhaps the answer to mountain goat mountain
question sheds some light onto the VR sports challenge.)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
They've now made the same announcement for Ripcoil (also a Sanzaru game). It's no longer available to buy, and for those who already own it, it will be dead on March 1, 2021. I didn't play it a lot, but I quite enjoyed Ripcoil. At least I didn't pay for it--they started giving it away for free to Rift owners at some point.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Huh, I'd mostly overlooked MPU because of the reviews I'd seen. Checking now, and yeah it has been delisted as far as I can tell. If it's an online only multiplayer game with bots only being given if nobody else is online and waiting for a match, then yeah server shutdown would remove the "single player" too.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Digikid1
Consultant
I had this on my wishlist but waited for a sale on it that NEVER HAPPENED.

Guess I will not be getting this at all now.

kojack
MVP
MVP

but I hope VR sports challenge stays for those who have it already
VR Sports Challenge has now been confirmed as being pulled from the store too. But it will keep working for people who already have it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better hurry up and play Asgard's Wrath (also by Sanzaru) before that vanishes too. Three of their four VR games are being pulled.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2