cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most wanted PCVR games in 2022 - and 2022 is looking awesome!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The potentially most interesting VR game next year might already be arriving in January - namely the AAA game Hitman 3 (jump to 1:20):

hitman-3-PC-VR.png

The next most interesting VR game - or maybe even the best - may be Hubris - it already looks incredibly awesome:

ss_58df854e837be4c37e06969555c1abd5cd6cc5cc.1920x1080.jpg

If I had to guess, then the third most interesting game in 2022 could be Wanderer - but I like adventure games a lot:

ss_795dff0595adb20f6f64346cef56bc1b0c3a8df7.1920x1080.jpg

- also Green Hell VR is looking great:

ss_8a6f25ac671e6db366c8602f1fb1b32797e9ae03.1920x1080.jpg

Then again, Firmament from Cyan (the makers of Obduction VR and Myst PCVR) looks incredibly awesome too:

p13w44D.JPG

For those wanting more action, Vertigo 2 seems to have reached a very high quality level judging from the latest trailer:

screenshot-datacave-1638479851699.JPG

Another gem probably arriving next year is Moss: Book 2:

Mountains_4k_02.jpg

For now Moss: Book II has only been announced for PSVR, but the same happened in 2018, when Moss launched for PSVR in Feb 2018 and 4 months later for PCVR with high-res textures and more (that was June 2018). Let's hope that we'll get the real VR Moss 2 version no later than Summer 2022 🤞

Potential hits

There are many more great PCVR games arriving next year, although some seem to have trouble getting done, or have failed to impress me enough in the trailers and more. Still I hope we'll also see District Steel in 2022:

- and hopefully Undead Citadel:

- I have my doubts when we'll see N1NE: The Splintered, but it also should arrive early next year:

I do have high hopes for Project 4 (next game by the makers for Boneworks), Blunt Force, Low-Fi and LONN.

So looking forward to another awesome year for PCVR, even if this year with the games shown here may be close to the best year ever for PCVR:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Best-VR-games-and-apps-so-far-in-2021/m-p/877238

Btw, I may have missed several awesome PCVR games arriving in 2022, do write a post if you've found some needing to be on the list of greatest upcoming PCVR games in 2022! 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

35 REPLIES 35

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Two more games have arrived, which both are candidates for the most awesome VR games this year, namely Shores of Loci:

The above is the old trailer from January 2022 - find the new trailer and new screenshots here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Shores-of-Loci-a-new-potentially-amazing-puzzling-VR-a...

- and then there's LONN:

- again the above is an old trailer - find the new one here and many screenshots:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Cyberpunk-VR-game-LONN-is-arriving-later-in-2022-new-a...

But both games deserve their own threads. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Some more potentially great games arriving this year:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1903670/Peaky_Blinders_The_Kings_Ransom/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1074670/Trial_by_Teng_A_Twilight_Path_Adventure/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The Bonelab Release Date trailer has arrived:

To me it looks very bad - but this may be the Quest version as all dynamic shadows have been removed (at least I failed to see any). If the PCVR version has been Questified by having all dynamic shadows removed, I will not support this game. 

But on Steam, devs have not replaced the announcement trailer or added the new release date trailer - so there may be hope. 

Btw - here's an example of the awesome dynamic shadows in Boneworks - if some have forgotten what they looked like 😉

RuneSR2_0-1664012092730.jpeg

kojack
MVP
MVP

The NPCs just happened to pose exactly over dark patches of ground by coincidence. 🙂

(From yesterday's Bonelab gameplay video by Node https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55zPYtUflw )

firefox_kmeiGBxg7d.jpg

firefox_7aVNxtvFlA.jpg

Also note the text on the shadow setting in Boneworks. I assume the same for Bonelab.

Boneworks_Oculus_Windows64_EcPLcSAjT3.jpg

I just loaded it up. In the starting room, only the spotlight in the corner of the ceiling casts shadows. The rest of the room lighting doesn't. So whether you see shadows or no depends on the type of lights in the room.

The spotlight:

Boneworks_Oculus_Windows64_0CenqhG80Y.jpg

Shadow when standing under the spotlight:

Boneworks_Oculus_Windows64_Bf7ZdUxFz6.jpg

No shadows from the glowing wall lights

Boneworks_Oculus_Windows64_wQqfbn13Au.jpg

Anyway...

They've said there will be avatar modding on release and game modding later.

Apparently it is going to be cross buy too, but I haven't seen official confirmation yet (I read that the official discord says cross buy in the faq), but I haven't gone looking for it yet).

Hell yeah, can't wait.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I think you're right - Boneworks also did not have dynamic shadows everywhere, but these were activated in certain locations. I guess it'll be the same for Bonelab. The devs, Stress Level Zero, did explain the shadow problem some years ago:

"A single shadow casting camera has the same processing overhead as 12-24 additional enemies on the CPU (I know that seems crazy but thats the cost). There are some places with shadow casting lights you can turn on if you really want but we personally prefer having more enemies to fight. (Also hope you have a very good CPU)."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/boneworks/comments/e0nm9q/first_trailers_showed_dynamic_shadows_now_no/

Then again, I just played Half-Life 2 VR Mod, awesome dynamic shadows are everywhere - I don't feel any performance impact. Same for Garden of the Sea, great dynamic shadows - I get solid 90 fps using Index res 500% in both Half-Life 2 VR Mod, Boneworks and Garden of the Sea - so the performance penalty must be very limited. For example compared to Obduction, where I can't even do res 200% many places without dipping below 90 fps - and that's using the Rift CV1 and an oc'ed RTX 3090! But Obduction has truly amazing shadows. 

Devs recommended RTX 2060 Super for Boneworks, and a RTX 2070 for Bonelab, so basically the same. They also wrote on Steam that we can expect same performance from Bonelab as in Boneworks - so I guess it makes sense if most in-game settings will be same as Boneworks. 

Now, I'm running Boneworks in solid 90 fps using Index and res 500% + 2xMSAA, all other in-game settings maxed - that's 45 mill pixels per frame combining both eyes. Boneworks is highly optimized, but is a very low-poly game using the most awesome high-res textures and nice dynamic shadows in selected locations. Still means that the devs have a great headroom for much more advanced graphics, not sure that potential is being used more in Bonelab, we'll see - but I'll be disappointed if I get solid 90 fps using Index res 500% and 2xMSAA again, lol 🙂

Forgot to mention - Brandon from Stress Level Zero confirmed on Twitter that BoneLab is cross-buy:

12.png

Cool.

I only need the PC version, but having Quest 2 version as well is a bonus (and handy for showing it at work).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I just played Boneworks tonight, and it's really a strange experience. Feels more like some weird kind of art experience than a real game. Devs write many places, if this is a tech demo, and in many ways that's what it feels like. I greatly appreciate the atmosphere, but have a hard time deciding if Boneworks is a satisfying experience or a waste of time - so I've taken long breaks from the game.

I'm in the Throne Room now, the very last level, plan to finish it before Thursday, lol.

The are no dynamic shadows in the Throne Room, but the light and the textures do make the game shine nonetheless. So of course I'll buy Bonelab Thursday and check it out 🙂 Would be great with a good story this time, although I doubt it'll happen... 

kojack
MVP
MVP

It does have a tech demo feel, but then again it's about a developer inside of a corrupted unfinished tech demo within a shared universe with all of their games besides Hover Junkers. 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I was just considering the list of top games expected this year - so we got:

Hitman 3 VR

Wanderer

Bonelab (I'm confident it'll arrive Thursday 🙂

Green Hell VR

Red Matter 2 (not known last year)

Ultrawings 2 

- but we're currently missing:

Hubris

Moss 2 (but never officially promised)

Firmament

Vertigo 2

Saints & Sinners: Chapter 2

I think Moss 2 will arrive for PCVR, and probably also PSVR2. Moss 2 devs may find it easy to port PCVR to PSVR2 or the other way around. So Moss 2 PCVR may be moved to 2023. Devs did say they were working on many platforms and would not release until the quality was great for each platform. Rumor has it that sales have not been good for Moss 2 on PSVR and Quest (maybe $40 was too much), which further may make devs want to release for PCVR and PSVR2.

Firmament has been announced for PSVR2 (and cancelled for PSVR), and may be delayed to 2023 due to devs focusing on PSVR2. 

Vertigo 2 has gone somewhat silent, not much activity from the dev on Steam - we'll see about that game. The game is made by one person, who wrote on Steam that it's difficult to finish the game in his spare time due to his daytime job. 

Hubris VR may still launch this year - the recent playable demo was impressive. Devs still write on Steam that the game will launch this year. 

Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 is still on for 2022 according to the Steam webpage - but probably around Christmas time.

Undead Citadel could make it too - the playable demo released a few month ago was great - but that game could easily slip into 2023. 

Hellsweeper VR - if done right - could become my game of the year - it's still on for release this year. The new trailer looks awesome:

I guess 2022 still is looking great! 🙂