cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first Unity game: Nowhere Dread

DreadfulD
Honored Guest
Hello you rift people!

I have finally finished my first Unity game, and my first first-person game, and it's for the Oculus Rift DK2. Nowhere Dread is a short horror game which takes around 5 minutes to complete and is about as cliche as it gets!

edited:

Download links:

WARNING: This game contains flashing lights which can potentially trigger seizures.
WARNING: This game contains jump scares. Do not play if you have a weak disposition. Not for children.

LATEST: v1.1b https://www.dropbox.com/s/2agc5y77zh7k25u/NowhereDread_1_1.zip

Screenies:

If you have some feedback, or if you discover any bugs or just something I implemented incorrectly or not optimally (this was my first Oculus Rift game after all), please comment in this thread.
32 REPLIES 32

MisterDeum
Honored Guest
Yeah you scared the shit out of me. The mini-game is excellent. This is well optimized, no judder and my PC is not a war machine at all. Everything is clever in this little demo. Except the ending with the spinning chair and the eyes ... WTF ?! It was so dreadful, the ending was not in the same mood ... Plus people will get sick ... I was not but barely ... and I am resistant to motion sickness. Please more ! Thanks again 😄

DreadfulD
Honored Guest
Thank you!

Yeah the ending is really screwed up (pun intended). The first time I tried it myself I had to hold my head since I couldn't help trying to correct the position of my head. It's really amazing what you can do with the Oculus Rift.

MisterDeum
Honored Guest
Nice pun ! 🙂 Yeah we need more VR experiments ! Playing with the effect over mind and brain is very interesting ! The spinning was "good" but was "not good" included in Nowhere Dread. It was like a totally different universe, I don't know if you catch my drift here. You have mastered something simple - but difficult to achieve - in Nowhere Dread. After a few seconds I was totally believing that I was in the room, thanks to the surveillance camera and the little game on the side. Little scene like this one taking you in an alternate world and catching you off guard are excellent. It was a clever set-up. You know what to do !

DreadfulD2
Honored Guest
New user account since I had to fix a few user details.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to make the ending of the game a bit calmer to make it less likely that you get sick from the motion. I also replaced the flashing lights in the end with a single light to lower the chance of anyone getting a seizure from them.

So the flickering lights were removed and replaced with a single fading light (which fit the atmosphere much better), and I put in an extra seizure warning in the start menu of the game as a precaution. I ask anyone who downloaded the test version to delete it (and please don't share it with anyone) and wait until I release the fixed version in a few hours.

Burns
Honored Guest
I only played the newer version of your game, and I have to say this was excellent. My brain was really thinking that I was in that room. My body moved and playing that zombie-minigame on the other screen really gave me "presence". The spinning at the end made me feel really uncomfortable. Hope to see more!

This could be interesting for the developer (SPOILER!😞

I think my body got a shock or something playing your game. Not sure how to call it.
When I was able to see the monster behind me at the sreen, I was really scared and didn't want to look back.
When it then walked to the camera and made the screen show a whitenoise, I thought the demo was over.
When it then grabbed me through the screen, it catched me so offguard i screamed for my life like a little boy.
The game catched me offguard a few moments after when the monster comes down from the celling too.
When I took of the headset after the end I realiced that my heart was beating very fast and I felt like having an atrenalin shock like the one I get from rollercoasters. Now to the interesting part: When I then stood up to get me some water, I feel on the floor, unable to stand. My body was so shocked my knees were trembling. It took me some moments to be able to stand up again. I never had this before after playing something with the Rift, and I played Dreadhalls, Mental Torment and so on.

My point is: I want to make you aware of how shocking your game can be. I am serious. I hope nobody is going to suffer a heart attack from a game like "Nowhere Dread".

Hope to see more from you! I would gladly pay for something as great as this!

DreadfulD2
Honored Guest
Oh dear. Maybe you're right. I put in a warning for jump scares in the menu as well. It's been re-uploaded.

Again: Please delete any previous versions of the game and please do not share it with anyone. I don't wish anyone to get a seizure from playing it, nor a heart attack. God, I'm having some serious anxiety over this.

floydfreak
Honored Guest
This was brilliant!

Very creepy too 😮
Lots of good things to mention like the background sounds, shadows, the mini game and I loved the way you even got the arms to move slightly when you turn your head..
I WAS there 😛

I hope you're very proud of this DreadfulD!

DreadfulD2
Honored Guest
Thank you!

I would be proud for finally finishing a first person game but I'm currently just very anxious that somebody might get hurt playing a game like this. I have a bit of an anxiety disorder myself so I tend to focus on things like this.

Anyway, the version with the new warnings is up (are they readable with the DK1?). I would appreciate it if everyone who downloaded the previous version would replace it with this one. And if you can think of something else I need to fix, please tell me.

acarrilho
Explorer
Really...? You made a horror game, and suddenly remembered some people have cardiac deficiency? 😄 Man, you can't feel accountable for people's health problems, which are ultimately their own responsibility. Some forms of entertainment are not for everyone. We wouldn't have horror anything if the authors accepted that sort of responsibility.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64