cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and upcoming potentially great PCVR games 2020-2021

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This thread is dedicated to games not previously discussed in this forum (sorry if I did include some). Just trying to collect a few potentially great upcoming VR games. 

Some titles that caught my attention are:

Despatch - release Nov 13 on Steam - only compatible with Rift
https://twitter.com/be_despatch/status/1323901583571275776

Z-Race - Jan 2021

Tarzan VR

Hinge

Lonn (has been mentioned before in here, but maybe more exposure is warranted for this game)

Frostpoint VR

RYTE - The Eye of Atlantis

Pieces of Eight

A Wake Inn (Q1 2021)

Naau: The Lost Eye (release date 2020)

Sword Reverie (spring 2021)

Zenith (2021)

Pistol Whip 2089 (2020)

Hyper Dash (for PCVR 2020)

Ilysia

Green Hell (2021)

Project Wingman (Q1 2021)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

71 REPLIES 71

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some say Hinge is looking like an AAA-ish VR game, I'm not disagreeing - based on the trailer. The official trailer just arrived - the game is out Nov 27 (2020 ;))

https://youtu.be/IL3My3ImoGY

6ec5v6xfuf1l.jpg
k80jvt5m09iz.jpg
4tljrhhhdbsx.jpg
06t95za55dq6.jpg

I do hope the game contains npcs - I'm not that fond of beautiful lifeless environments. Hinge is 36GB, thus it's a big one 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Despatch is out - but seems no one is going in 😉 

I'll buy and try later today  o:)

Sci-Fi Meets Experimental Escape Room Gameplay

“despatch: Entity Astray” is an outstanding combination of Sci-Fi adventures and experimental Escape Room Games. Impressive AA graphics, detailed environments, futuristic effects and a complex level design make “despatch” a remarkable VR game. Developed and optimized for Virtual Reality, “despatch” creates an immersive VR experience. By completely entering the dystopic situation, players become one with the protagonist’s journey. A strange situation requires every gamer to study the mechanics and to adapt the environment in order to create new escape paths.

The VR game “despatch: Entity Astray” has a complex game design and a perceived multi-level environment. Several solution approaches and environmental storytelling bring refreshing versatility to the gaming experience. The execution of every solution approach and additional decryption of the hidden meta story offer various play-throughs. Replay Value: Strongly recommended!

[...]

Immerse yourself into an extraordinary Sci-Fi adventure! Imagine waking up in an unknown environment. It’s dark. You have no idea where and who you are. Only a small alarm light flashes somewhere in the room. Something seems off. Why are you there and what is the mission? Discover unknown environments, find out who you are, identify the line between good and evil and help dispatch shape the universe of tomorrow.

Start your VR escape room game adventure now and bring light into the unknown darkness. But this is just the beginning. The beginning of something bigger. This is the beginning of an infinite adventure of galactic scale. The future starts now! Be despatch and witness the beginning of a brand-new Sci-Fi VR game adventure!

Source: https://despatch-universe.com/about/

https://youtu.be/WzgQHaASaTY

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451360/despatch_Entity_Astray/

BTW, it's no longer a Rift only game - it also supports Index, but my spider sense tingles thinking about using lcd in a very dark game that looks like made for oled (CV1) - lcd often feels like taking a knife to a gunfight  😄  

hyhsuguzh6nl.jpg
kov77ihgn4rv.jpg
ffizv1w61u37.jpg
ihta327d5uyh.jpg
7l3dv53a8ok6.jpg
c22ngy1rezaq.jpg
n4pric6mst2h.jpg
wqaa1e19r4d4.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

It's not a bad game, but gpu demanding (=lacks optimization). As suspected the game supports native Oculus drivers - I furthermore suspect that this game was developed using the Rift CV1. It's so dark you can notice the spud, but not so dark that the spud is easily seen and annoying - thus devs seem to have found a nice balance between darkness and spud, lol. Not sure I'll bother checking this game with a lcd hmd, I believe this game profits a lot from oled.

Graphics settings are either medium, high, epic or ultra. Using CV1 ss 2.0, Ultra might require a RTX 3080 or similar for 90 fps. I chose High, and that's fine thanks to my great buddy, Mr. ASW 2.0  B) I get 90 fps from time to time with those settings. 

The game seems to have an interesting story - not sure what it's about yet - but reminds me a lot of Red Matter without any Russian themes, lol. Graphics did remind me of Lone Echo, but it's still slightly below Lone Echo quality. Devs said graphics were AA quality - I might not necessarily disagree - and that's judging using High settings (and ss 2.0, which might be a lot more demanding than Ultra + ss 1.5). Lighting and shadows are great. 

Controls are a problem, there's only snap turning and controller directed movements - thus no hmd directed movement. You do get full locomotion though - but no choice for left or right handedness. Feels old school and like made by devs who have been sleeping for the last 2 or 3 years - and thus have no idea of how modern VR controls should be. 

For the price this is a nice experience, although controls need more polish. I've only tested using CV1 and Touch - might be much worse using a lcd hmd and non-Touch controllers, because I'm convinced this game was made for the Rift. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I guess everyone is getting ready  B) Because it's happening today!  ❤️ 😮  

nyle dimarco disney GIF by ABC Network

https://youtu.be/aaoD5vrBLiw

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112100/Tarzan_VR__Issue_1__The_Great_Ape/

kuvm70qb7n8m.jpg
andnpq2snah4.jpg
q9ymunf5ban9.jpg
h0d59avyodmr.jpg
pc9tv9cprlr6.jpg
9vj49nyxb5pu.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, just watched the above video - and what HMD is preferred by Tarzan (missing a liana vine could mean death, better get perfect tracking! ;)) 

aarv4xjjid2t.jpg
Index 1

tezb1kddpssx.jpg
Index 2

be3e1svv1dcm.jpg
Index 3

od3mk4641saa.jpg
Index 4

vqcw6vtx4hoa.jpg
Index 5

Yup - it's confirmed, Tarzan only uses the Valve Index!  B) (Btw, all devs in the video used the Index, I did not just include the Index pics.) 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
PD is on the spot, he does do a nice job showing the game:

https://youtu.be/KXHFd-O0Qf0

Although many textures are very low-res, there are also many nice/great textures, but none even remotely close to Alyx. Still the game looks great - and I like being able to just explore.
Did go into the water and it suddenly got deep - and in my mind I started hearing music from Jaws, and I was very quick to get out of the water :blush:
Performance and image quality are great with the Index - 4xMSAA, render scale 1.0 and all other settings maxed make the game look close to the best it can. Will need a 3080 to use render scale 1.5, but MSAA seems most important to reduce jaggies. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, Tarzan VR supports native Oculus drivers. I think I prefer the Index to CV1 ss 2.0, even if the many low-res textures do improve with CV1 SDE - but the great textures look a lot better using the Index. Also Index fov is much bigger and increases presence. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmm, still haven't found a solution to the potential shark problem in Tarzan. I even offered my 12 year old son some coins for swimming out and fetching a few boxes - but he refused  :s Also mentioned he could pick up one small kitchen knife in case a great white wants him for lunch  o:)  

Thus the water in Tarzan VR really looks amazing:

ky3crz1wkbpf.jpg

- but it may contain a little too rich animal life for my taste, even if cell-shaded!

pz1l1vtm19yx.jpg

- not sure meeting a large 8-legged Jumping Jack on land is much better though...  :#  

b2qqqs4jqa27.jpg

pyroth309
Visionary
Nice list. Will definitely check out some of these. Already had Green Hell, Hinge, and LONN and a few others on my wish list. I'll have to check out the Tarzan game.

Here's a couple off top of my head that I'm looking forward to that are due soon also.

N1NE: The Splintered Mind

Blunt Force

Soulkeeper Chronicles. (It's the remnants of The Soulkeeper which was scrapped in favor of this. This one will also release on monitors)

Devs have been working on this game a lot as well, reworked physics and such based on Alpha feed back. They say it will release first half 2021.

This has my eye, made by the developers of Form (one of my favorite VR games period) and Twilight Path. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOD8jQURnM