cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Cross Buy

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
I really hope that the Quest offers up a cross buy system for those of us that have already invested a ton of money into our Rift game libraries.

I will honestly buy a Quest day one if the games I buy that are cross platform are honored on both.

I do want to check out the Quest, but it's hard for me to essentially double dip in software.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

39 REPLIES 39

JonJonXD
Expert Protege

Can you play all the games you bought on a Wii U on your Switch?

Quest is an entirely different platform. Games can be ported but require significant development. One is ARM and the other is x86. I have not seen many ports of games that are free. It's a little bit like expecting the games you bought on Xbox to work on your PC for free, they both play games and are from Microsoft, right?

Oculus does NOT make games, they are a front end shop. It's up to the devs and they have to incur additional development costs.

Very valid points for sure.

I guess I am not seeing this as an entirely separate platform, but rather another device in the same eco system.

I always think of Sony with this, as before the Vita failed, they did a fairly good job with cross-buy on that platform, and many continued that even after it was deemed a flop (the indies). Part of what makes that successful is a good dev kit to allow for easier porting between each platform, if at all possible.

The real question becomes, do we invest in the new mobile based platform, or continue to hold out for CV2?

I personally consider the quest to be VR next gen, so I may just have both, but we will see.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

JonJonXD said:

I guess I am not seeing this as an entirely separate platform, but rather another device in the same eco system.

That is a bit too much wordplay though. It is a separate device in the same ecosystem, but developers do not code to an eco-system, they code to a platform. And the devices reside on separate platforms. An eco-system can have multiple platforms just as it has multiple devices.

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

JonJonXD said:

That is a bit too much wordplay though. It is a separate device in the same ecosystem, but developers do not code to an eco-system, they code to a platform. And the devices reside on separate platforms. An eco-system can have multiple platforms just as it has multiple devices.

Yup, a little bit like the Apple App store ecosystem, there is a Mac App store for macs and an iOS App store for ipads and iPhones, they share the same ecosystem, even log in, billing etc .. but are two entirely different platforms.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

JonJonXD said:

Yup, a little bit like the Apple App store ecosystem, there is a Mac App store for macs and an iOS App store for ipads and iPhones, they share the same ecosystem, even log in, billing etc .. but are two entirely different platforms.

Not 100% true though - there are some cross platform apps that works for both tablet and phone for example. Same for MAC and tablet. They do split their phone and MAC though for some strange reason, but then again some apps companies if ask will honor a cross platform request if ask. Honestly - at the end of the day I feel like its going to come down to what does the application maker want to do with their program. I do hope they will play fair and maybe not charge as much if you already own the application on one device. It would make the most sense while still giving a value to having it on both system.

LZoltowski
Champion

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

JonJonXD said:

Not 100% true though - there are some cross platform apps that works for both tablet and phone for example. Same for MAC and tablet. They do split their phone and MAC though for some strange reason, but then again some apps companies if ask will honor a cross platform request if ask. Honestly - at the end of the day I feel like its going to come down to what does the application maker want to do with their program. I do hope they will play fair and maybe not charge as much if you already own the application on one device. It would make the most sense while still giving a value to having it on both system.

iPhone and iPad are still the same platforms.. same CPU/Hardware, same OS just different form factor.
.And yes as I stated from the start many moons ago, it's all up to the devs.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Not 100% true though - there are some cross platform apps that works for both tablet and phone for example. Same for MAC and tablet.

Wrong. They are not "cross-platform" in those cases because it is the same exact platform residing on different devices.

In any case where the same app works on two different platforms (this is true "cross-platforms") then it is the Dev's who coded to the two different platforms.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I made apps for MAC OS - it really isnt that hard to cross platform it on on their devices really. Its like one switch honestly when you compile the code. As for MP - at least the screens I have seen - the apps are split between tablets, phones, and computers. Tablets giving their own category seems to have been split off from phones meaning apple doesn't 100% see it as the same platform. Even though the same code/application works fine of both devices no problem. Ive seen companies still charge for both devices but still allow it to be install in the same hardware at not extra cost aka phone to phone but charge from phone to tablet.

Correct I am using the term loosely here because they use the same code across their devices mostly. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

I made apps for MAC OS - it really isnt that hard to cross platform it on on their devices really.

Cross device is not the same thing as cross platform. You are creating synonyms where they don't exist. The Oculus platforms are not OS's, they are software platforms that reside atop an existing OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

I made apps for MAC OS - it really isnt that hard to cross platform it on on their devices really.

Cross device is not the same thing as cross platform. You are creating synonyms where they don't exist. The Oculus platforms are not OS's, they are software platforms that reside atop an existing OS.

I am not talking about. I am talking about cross device that run the same code. Much like how apple does it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
 I am talking about cross device that run the same code. Much like how apple does it.

Cross device running the same code is typically the same platform, but you are still talking about an OS which is not what this topic is about.

Oculus SDK's across the various platforms are different. And they are not an OS.