cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus VR Action game

abhivc
Explorer
Hi,

We are working on a VR action game for Oculus Rift.

While reading the oculus submission guidelines, one of the pre-requisites is that the game should be 90 FPS. 

Has anyone had any experience in submitting games to the Oculus store which had slightly lower FPS and the game got accepted. Is is a deal breaker?

Thanks for your time.

Warm Regards,

Abhi
8 REPLIES 8

Domitjen
Adventurer
It is a dealbreaker, u need to have a constant 90 fps at all times or it will induce jidder/motion sickness and everyone will have to rely on ASW to kick in.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Yeah

You really need 90 FPS. Ofc it really does depend on one's PC.

IIWY, I would aim to be hitting 90FPS 99% of the time on a [EDIT 1060] or equivalent.

Richooal
Consultant

IIWY, I would aim to be hitting 90FPS 99% of the time on a 1070 or equivalent.

GTX 1060 is recommended, so I would hope to be getting 90fps on my 1060 on most games.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer

Richooal said:

GTX 1060 is recommended, so I would hope to be getting 90fps on my 1060 on most games.

True enough! 

I edited my post.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Don't forget the CPU side of things. OH has a minimum spec of an old AMD FX series, they have about half the single thread performance of an I5 from 4 years ago but do have a bunch of threads available. If using DX11 or OpenGL 4.5, make sure to separate the graphics rendering thread and the main game engine thread. Even if you do no additional multi-threading, that will make one hell of a difference on CPU usage. I only bring it up because so many games both new and old fail to do that.

abhivc
Explorer
@Domitjen 
@andysonofbob 
@Richooal
@BeastyBaiter 

Thanks a lot for the valuable insights and comments. I guess we will have to rework the game to 90 FPS to make it acceptable for the Oculus store.

abhivc
Explorer

Richooal said:

Thanks Richooal!  We are using GTX 1060 so now we need to optimize the game for 90 fps.

abhivc
Explorer

Don't forget the CPU side of things. OH has a minimum spec of an old AMD FX series, they have about half the single thread performance of an I5 from 4 years ago but do have a bunch of threads available. If using DX11 or OpenGL 4.5, make sure to separate the graphics rendering thread and the main game engine thread. Even if you do no additional multi-threading, that will make one hell of a difference on CPU usage. I only bring it up because so many games both new and old fail to do that.

Thanks Beasty. I will check it out with the programmer.