cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viveport Video - great app for watching short films (Oculus Video no longer works)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just went through all games and apps last night. To my amazement I saw that one of my favorite apps had less than a 3/5 average rating based on about 1000 ratings:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/926562347437041

Of course user experiences will vary and depend on expectations, and this app won't play all your own movies flawlessly, then again I don't think this app was ever intended to be good at that. 

Instead I find the Vimeo short film collection utterly amazing, and during the last year available films have been constantly updated. Watching short films (normal 2D, Vimeo) is the one thing I use in this app. Sure you can see some 360 degrees videos too, but the resolution is usually horrible (=very blurry) and I don't care for these videos. But sitting down in my own VR cinema watching awesome short films is beyond amazing - and there're more than 1000 to choose from (I think, the list simply goes on and on). 

Some of my favorites:

And I know we can't discuss politics in here, but I guess I'm allowed to show a movie available in Oculus Video that I like a lot  o:)  😉

Maybe this thread could be about short films you've seen in your Oculus Video VR cinema - did you see anything that maybe moved you more than a normal full length movie?

EDIT: Oculus Video no longer works with sound in the Vimeo videos, thus the app basically is dead and has been removed from the Oculus Store:

oculus-video.jpg

- fortunately, Viveport Video still works with Vimeo short films, but does not have as many Vimeo videos as Oculus Video. Viveport Video gets new Vimeo videos several times each weeks, so it's all good/fine:

VP_video_working_1920x1080_v2.jpg

Get Viveport Video here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606180/Viveport_Video/

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2151091991592678/

https://www.viveport.com/4f5f140a-0928-4fcb-8023-93dc212eac17

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

46 REPLIES 46

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
No idea why Oculus Video has such a low rating. I was addicted to it for 2 years. I remember going through so many videos on a nightly basis.

I haven't tried Vimeo in awhile though. Don't remember having any issues with them. I'll check it out in a bit.

Linda_Ly_944023
Honored Guest
Don’t wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Don’t wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.

Yeah, great idea, but kinda hard to get that perfect moment with no sound in my Vimeo videos  :'( - and no one seems to care about this awesome app anymore, posted on Reddit too - no comments  😞 

Btw, Oculus Video does not work with Revive.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

There has been no sound when playing Vimeo videos for a full year, I get the feeling Oculus not longer cares about this app. 

But I do. I love this app - being able to watch a neverending stream of awesome Vimeo-provided short films is one of my favorite activities in VR. 

I did think maybe something was wrong on my end, maybe some Windows driver etc. So just tested the Oculus Video app with the new rig - and guess what, there is still NO SOUND coming from Vimeo videos. Sound is working perfectly in the app when playing all other videos, only Vimeo videos are silent. 

But since this app basically is totally dead with no sound in Vimeo videos, the sound issue is really big.

I've contacted Oculus support - again 🤞🍀

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Oculus Support was unable to help - well, she tried, but after asking which browser I was using and to record a video of the problem I kinda gave up on Support - that is after having tried to communicate that I've tested Oculus Video on more than one PC and sound in Vimeo videos was constantly gone.  

Seems Oculus has now solved the problem by removing Oculus Video from the Store: 

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/926562347437041/?locale=en_US

Owners who already have the app can still use it, but the app is no longer available for new users - thus won't be updated. 

This is sad - often I'd spend maybe 10 - 25 % of my time in VR watching the many Vimeo short films, also you can find Oscar nominated (and Oscar winning) short films in the Vimeo collection. 

Thus the loss of Oculus Video was a profund one, at least to me - for more than a year I couldn't do what I often liked most in VR. I simply lost my favorite Home Theater - which I even preferred to my Sony 85" tv, because the perceived screen size is much bigger in VR, often felt like being in a real theater. Even posted on Reddit about the Vimeo video issue, but no response or help. Seems like I'm the only one loving these short films, lol. 

Fortunately it seems not all is lost in VR...

h3tld3diuhv31.jpg

Maybe we have too much content in VR, at least I've asked several times about other apps supporting the Vimeo short films in VR - but never got an answer. Sat down and talked to my Uncle Google last night - and finally he had a suggestion:

Kinda felt like having to install some software from the old archenemy, but beggars can't be choosers, lol. Also you don't have to install Viveport - Viveport Video is available in the Oculus Store! 😮

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2151091991592678/?locale=en_US

And lo and behold - the Viveport Video has 300 free Vimeo videos and is constantly updated - not totally the same as Oculus Video, but actually much better in many ways - my fresh review from the Oculus Store:

Unavngivet.jpg

Now I'm really getting ready for some summer vacation - now where my Home Cinema is back, better than ever! 😀

Just a few examples of what you can find on Viveport Video - great stuff:

- and perfect for those who don't have much time for watching full-length movies. Also available on Steam (and of course Viveport, lol):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606180/Viveport_Video/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Today's top picks from Viveport Video 😎 

MV5BMjM5MTc0NTg2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzIxNzY4MTE@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMjMwNzI0MzU1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDI0NTg0MDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Missing Scarf is only 7 minutes - yet 7.4 on IMDB 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, these are the winners and the nominated short films for 2021:

Unavngive123t.jpg

I have not found any of these using the Viveport Video yet, but there are 300 short films and I have not had time to thoroughly check them all. Also some may only be available for shorter periods of time, or may not be available right now. If you find one of these movies, do let other persons know by replying to this thread, thanks! 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just a small note. When using the Viveport Video app several users have complained that you need to login or sign up for a Vive/HTC account. That is not true - you can just choose to take a quick tour without signing in. Doing that will give you full access to all the free videos, including the Vimeo videos. 

Right now, on Viveport Video, you can watch the Oscar nominated short movie "Shok" - it's 21 min, this is the trailer:

- and it's probably also on Oculus Video, if you don't care about sound 😉

Btw, I just tested the Index res 300% and Rift CV1 ss 2.0. Even if Index has higher res and less SDE, I do prefer the CV1. CV1 clearly has much better sound for movies, especially the bass, and it's easier to see the limited movie res with the Index. The CV1 SDE does provide an advantage here. Maybe Index would win with 4K movies...

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@RuneSR2  Personally I don't like watching downloaded videos in VR.  I much prefer to watch them on a large screen TV.  However, I do like watching movies on my Quest 1 and esp. my Quest 2 with Amazon Prime.  It's like having your own 150in TV, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers