cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onward VR has come a long way!

Moon920
Protege

A couple nights ago some friends were talking about picking up Onward so I told them to let me try it first because back in December 2016 I experienced some game breaking issues.  I didn't understand how the game had overwhelmingly positive feedback. Well, two nights ago I fired it up an hour before I wanted to be in bed. I played for 4 hours.  All of the issues I was experiencing seem to have been resolved.  I'm definitely recommending it to my friends, especially the military types and Arma III fans.  I heard the guy that created this game is just one college drop out kid but as of February 2017 he hired some help.  The community is buzzing about a major patch this month, can't wait!

Here are some highlights from the past two nights of playing Onward  😄
WARNING: time index 17:21 is NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tb2rQ31dk

I also tried Pavlov VR on Oculus.  The game launches however there seem to be some major issues with Oculus yet.  Really hope they get that sorted out, the look and feel of that game were great.  It's a lot like Onward except faster pace and more quick game modes.  I think it's meant to be more Counter-Strike'ish where Onward is more like Arma III.
27 REPLIES 27

Moon920
Protege

KillCard said:

Does this game have a native Oculus mode yet? or does it still force you to use SteamVR?

I think you have to use SteamVR but I prefer SteamVR for all my Oculus games because you can browse and interface with your desktop while your headset is on, customize your home environment, plus the games are cheaper on Steam and I know my refunds will get processed.  I don't know why you'd want to use the Oculus interface, it's missing a lot of key features.

lovethis said:

I would have had to ditch the hoodie before playing this game. I keep meaning to pick the game up but is there a tutorial before you start playing? I hate games that just throw you in at the deep end with other players and you're left asking how to do this that and the other.

My basement is freezing, I'm in Green Bay, WI and it was snowing this morning.  There are only a handful of heat vents in my basement but I'm not complaining, nothing is worse than a fogged up HMD.  

There is a video tutorial but it plays in Steam but it annoys me that there isn't a controls menu so I can check the button to pull out the tablet for example.  I'm sure they are working on something better.  The learning curve is a little steep but the community of players is very cool and even though there is no team balancing mechanic, if you tell people you're new they'll switch teams to make it as fair as possible.  I've even been in a game where a guy went against 3 new players.  In-game just about anyone is more than willing to hang back and help you understand the controls.  When you tell people you're new they almost always welcome you to the game, these are obviously not COD players.

Expediter
Expert Protege

lovethis said:

I would have had to ditch the hoodie before playing this game. I keep meaning to pick the game up but is there a tutorial before you start playing? I hate games that just throw you in at the deep end with other players and you're left asking how to do this that and the other.

You have the shooting range to become familiar with the weapons , how to load them and how to switch between full auto burst etc. I think the wiki has all the button info you need and also how to add advanced settings to steamvr for super sampling if your vCard can handle it. 

Other than buttons and and how to access your radio and tablet for objective information there is not much more to learn. 

What makes this this game fun is your own personal skill that increases and the adrenaline rush you get with a good team rushing / defending objectives. It's a lot of fun imo. 

danknugz
Superstar

Moon920 said:

KillCard said:

Does this game have a native Oculus mode yet? or does it still force you to use SteamVR?

I think you have to use SteamVR but I prefer SteamVR for all my Oculus games because you can browse and interface with your desktop while your headset is on, customize your home environment, plus the games are cheaper on Steam and I know my refunds will get processed.  I don't know why you'd want to use the Oculus interface, it's missing a lot of key features.

lovethis said:

My basement is freezing, I'm in Green Bay, WI and it was snowing this morning.  There are only a handful of heat vents in my basement but I'm not complaining, nothing is worse than a fogged up HMD.  

There is a video tutorial but it plays in Steam but it annoys me that there isn't a controls menu so I can check the button to pull out the tablet for example.  I'm sure they are working on something better.  The learning curve is a little steep but the community of players is very cool and even though there is no team balancing mechanic, if you tell people you're new they'll switch teams to make it as fair as possible.  I've even been in a game where a guy went against 3 new players.  In-game just about anyone is more than willing to hang back and help you understand the controls.  When you tell people you're new they almost always welcome you to the game, these are obviously not COD players.

some people are cliquely and prickly however its not all roses. for example the other day i was the last one left on the attacking team and i actually won the match, but since i took my time and didnt rush the objective (you know, cause people like, defend it), these dumb pricks are all whining and cryig after the match "that was painful" and vote kicked me, and of course youll run into the guys who truly believe they are navy seals and are all loudmouthed and think theyre super cool and everyone should enjoy their company 
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Moon920
Protege

danknugz said:

some people are cliquely and prickly however its not all roses. for example the other day i was the last one left on the attacking team and i actually won the match, but since i took my time and didnt rush the objective (you know, cause people like, defend it), these dumb pricks are all whining and cryig after the match "that was painful" and vote kicked me, and of course youll run into the guys who truly believe they are navy seals and are all loudmouthed and think theyre super cool and everyone should enjoy their company 

I've only been playing 2 days and I'm happy to not have encountered turds.  Grats for pulling out a win, you shouldn't have been vote kicked.  I'm with you, the rounds are only like what, 6 minutes?  If they don't have patience to wait 4 minutes to re-spawn they're playing the wrong game.  The stakes of potentially waiting 'dead' for 4 minutes is part of what jacks my adrenaline in games like this.

So far everyone and I mean everyone I've encountered has been very polite, supportive and helpful.  Couple of goofballs as you might notice in my video but they make me laugh.

I wouldn't mind getting paired up with some navy seal loudmouths as long as they sounded halfway professional, certain improves immersion.  What you said reminds me of this old Battlefield video, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA2ihDhbWDk

jayhawk
Superstar

danknugz said:

Moon920 said:

KillCard said:

lovethis said:

What game are you referring to? Pavlov or Onward?

danknugz
Superstar
onward, but moon920 is right, in general the community is older and generally friendly/helpful.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

I wouldn't mind getting paired up with some navy seal loudmouths as long as they sounded halfway professional, certain improves immersion.  What you said reminds me of this old Battlefield video, lol.

That video is hilarious!  I'm impressed that he never broke character -- I would be laughing my ass off trying to say all of that!

As far as this thread goes, I would point out that there are multiple threads already praising Onward, but I fully support spreading the word that this game is awesome.  

Tied with Elite Dangerous at 4.8 star average on the user review thread! (though admittedly with far fewer total votes)  https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/39560/oculus-rift-community-reviews-directory-games-apps-please-vote/p1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really wish Onward was in the Oculus store - I know a lot of people are saying other wise - but I don't need anything else - just the game. Got to play it at a friend house was worth the enjoyment:)

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

Moon920 said:

Amazing how a bunch of retarded bums start hating on that guy, like something is wrong with him and ask him if he's home alone. That guy asking that probably lives at home with his parents.

DarkTenka
Trustee

Moon920 said:

KillCard said:

How do you get SteamVR to run without massive frame/tracking drops? It runs like absolute ASS for me with just about every game on it.