cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepar3D v4 ... Available 30th May

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, Lockheed Martin has unveiled the realise date for version 4 of Prepar3D... Announcement

Orbx have posted some details about compatibility and availability of the product range, plus some very nice looking screen shots. Orbx announced a while ago, the scenery update from v3 to v4 will be free

Other third party companies like HIFI Simulation (Active Sky etc), PMDG and a few others have already announced that they're working on updates for v4, and they'll be free upgrades for existing owners of v3 content.

Virtual Reality... P3d v3 already has native support for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. The hot-fixes for v3.4 also added Touch support. V4 now has fully clickable VC's. 

Personally can't wait to get my hands on the new version.
6 REPLIES 6

flibberflops
Expert Protege
I think the Headline news (oculus wise) is that P3D V4 will have full native VR mode with an interactive cockpit (using mouse to click switches and stuff)

The move to 64 bit should help with the microstuttering that has plagued it before (fingers crossed)

I believe in your post above you got things a little mixed up, which may confuse other people. The current version of P3D (3.4) already has native support for VR, but it is view only. You cannot interact with anything. You can however purchase the 3rd party add on (flyinside). It was this product that was recently updated to include Touch support (not native P3D). To be honest the although the Touch support works fine with flyinside, it doesn't really fit well with a flight sim. The main principle of flight games are that you are sitting at a desk holding some kind of joystick/yoke. Holding Touch at the same time, doesn't fit. Let alone reaching forward to toggle a virtual switch and punching your reality desk!

Some might ask, why use P3D instead of the silky smooth Areofly FS2? Well FS2 is great and smooth, but it is nowhere near finished. There are some many parts of the simulator yet to come, which means you can't really do anything at the moment except basic flights in limited areas. P3D however is a fully formed sim and has a truck load of 3rd party support so you can "add on" to hell if you want.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Just hope we have a VR GUI to go with it - I really dislike the current (v3.4) system whereby you have to choose the VR 'view' once you are inside the aircraft and as soon as you go back to the GUI you have to take the headset off.

Otherwise, I'll definitely get this, but think, as with v3, I'll wait until the first couple of patches are out and my add-ons are updated to the 64bit engine.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@flibberflops ... your very right, the details I posted regarding VR implementation in P3D v3 were quite remiss... will edit when I get chase.

It was FlyInside v1.8 that added Touch support, and yes, it's horrendous to use. Current Native VR support does only allow for viewing / flying without any direct interaction within the VC. Version 4 is to bring a fully clickable VC into VR. As Brixmis said, the current implementation within P3D isn't the best, having to access VR through the Views menu. Personally, can't see them changing it for v4. 

So for now, Flyinside still looks to be the best method for flying in VR with P3D. However I'll certainly give the native support a try.

Interesting times for flight simmers.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Touch support is horrendous ? Bit harsh mate 🙂 Early implementation I know, but it will get better 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I agree with it being horrendous - but not for operating switches etc, I had few issues with that. It's what happens when something causes an emergency, when you are losing the aircraft and need to get your hands back on the controllers right now! I refuse to drop my Touch to grab my controller. Even with the strap on, it will hit the desk or my HOTAS and I won't risk that.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I'll down grade horrendous, to dam awkward to use :wink: ... still don't like it, so I don't use it.