cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Running TF2

mikesig
Honored Guest
Hey, all: I downloaded the orange box version of TF2 on steam (not the beta, the actual tf2) and added the command line -vr, but TF2 is not working properly. The valve/steam logos are in normal 1200x800 resolution, as are the menus. When I get into the game, it splits the screen in half, but not oculus-style (i.e. the Tuscany demo). Running vr_configure also does nothing: it elicits no response from the console. Note that I have the rift plugged into my laptop via HDMI as a cloned monitor, and the Tuscany demo runs perfectly fine. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
56 REPLIES 56

Klepto
Honored Guest
I just posted almost the exact same thing. I've got the same problem. Adding this reply to track and to confirm the problem.

SirKnightTG
Honored Guest
I too was just about to post this very issue. The split image is not pre-warped and moving the oculus around does nothing for the view. I guess Valve broke VR mode in a recent update.

AGr_
Honored Guest
I'm having the same problem, I just got my Rift today and this was the first thing I was trying to get working 😞

bizarrobrian
Honored Guest
Add me to the list of people having the same issue. I switched from hdmi to DVI but it didn't make any difference. Did they recently push an update or something?

Zyxt
Honored Guest
Same here, looked all over the place for a fix but couldn't find any.

RichardSJust
Honored Guest
+1

Notes:
The tuscony demo works great.

TF2 in the console vr_calibration is recognised as a command but doesn't do anything
When loading a multiplayer the screen splits but not in vr mode.

mikesig
Honored Guest
At this point, it looks likely that there was either a new update to TF2 that bonked the Rift support or that downloading it today caused us to get a new version that doesn't have the proper Rift update but also makes Steam think it's the latest version. Has anyone with the problem had TF2 on their PC before today?

jherico
Adventurer
I discovered this trying it out on a new machine, but moving back to a machine I had working last night still exhibited the problem. Yeah, looks like Valve broke the one working game.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

braaad
Honored Guest
I just tried it also, not working.

I haven't played TF2 in ages and it had to convert file formats or whatever it does.

I just get a plain split screen with no head tracking. All other games work fine.