cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting oculus home....

lepter
Protege
Well, after much reading of this forum, I see that I have no choice but to quit using oculus home to buy my games and buy all my games on steam. The reason is that I have filled up my 500 GB c: drive with VR games, bought another drive for extra space but discovered that oculus hasnt given its software the basic function of giving users the option of setting up another instalation folder ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE! I do not want to have to buy another drive and REINSTALL ALL MY SOFTWARE AGAIN!
Steam gives the option of choosing were to install each game...better get some better coders who can direct the software to another folder. Of course it means oculus will be getting ZERO revinue from me and by the look of the numerous threads on this subject....im not alone. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!
28 REPLIES 28

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
I used 'vrBackUpper' to move my library to another drive painlessly...I'm not sure if I am allowed to link it here but a quick google will find it for you...'Oculus Mover' (on the same site) didnt want to work for me but there is a download link for vrBackUpper at the bottom of the page (something to do with 64bits I think)...but then you could have found it and had it installed and working in the same time it took you to write your rant.
 😉
Regards
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

BrockKane
Expert Protege
I get his frustration. It really shouldn't be an issue to pick any drive upon installation of a new game. It's a no brainer. That being said, having to Google, and install a 3rd party app, to do something so elementary, doesn't make one feel all bubbly inside.

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer

BrockKane said:

I get his frustration. It really shouldn't be an issue to pick any drive upon installation of a new game. It's a no brainer. That being said, having to Google, and install a 3rd party app, to do something so elementary, doesn't make one feel all bubbly inside.

I totally agree with you...in fact in my early CV1 days I myself asked this very same question on these forums (how to move my library) but isnt that the nature of of using a PC rather than a console?...or a Rift rather than a GearVR? etc etc
I actually enjoy the fact that I am not having my hand held through everything...I find it fun finding my own way.
I apologise if my help doesnt lead to the perfect solution. For plug 'n' play I would reccommend the PSVR...I hear that is pretty simple to get working...or just stick with the Steam mess like the OP has said.
Cheers
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I setup Oculus Home to install on the D drive just fine; so I dunno what problems people are having who claim that installation can only happen on the C drive. All of my VR games from Steam and OH reside on my D drive.

Setting your installation up on something other than the C Drive from the beginning would have been the smarter move. The C Drive always gets filled up quick.

lepter
Protege

CodeTen68 said:

I used 'vrBackUpper' to move my library to another drive painlessly...I'm not sure if I am allowed to link it here but a quick google will find it for you...'Oculus Mover' (on the same site) didnt want to work for me but there is a download link for vrBackUpper at the bottom of the page (something to do with 64bits I think)...but then you could have found it and had it installed and working in the same time it took you to write your rant.
 😉
Regards

Fair enough, but I shouldnt have to install ANOTHER peice of software and then faff about transfering ALL the software to another drive. I should be able to spread the files across multiple folders/drives, just like steam does!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lepter said:

Fair enough, but I shouldnt have to install ANOTHER peice of software and then faff about transfering ALL the software to another drive. I should be able to spread the files across multiple folders/drives, just like steam does!

So you've been running out of C Drive space since the Steam days... and you are still defaulting new platforms to C?? C'mon now!

Yes, I agree that Oculus Home should eventually be as user friendly as every other software on the market. But just as such a thing can be reasonably expected of Oculus, it is also reasonable to expect the End User to learn to avoid the C Drive as a default platform for entertainment software.

lepter
Protege

Zenbane said:

I setup Oculus Home to install on the D drive just fine; so I dunno what problems people are having who claim that installation can only happen on the C drive. All of my VR games from Steam and OH reside on my D drive.

Setting your installation up on something other than the C Drive from the beginning would have been the smarter move. The C Drive always gets filled up quick.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. I built my PC on a budget just for VR gaming with the idea of upgrading in the future as the need arises. My C:\ drive was a reasonable 500GB but figured that that would be enough to tide me over until I would need another drive and had no reason to think oculus wouldnt be able to change the library folder. Steam has no issues with sharing multiple folders/drives to install its software so why ocullus cant manage it also is a total mystery to me. Guess oculus just doesnt want my money, with many other people in the same boat.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lepter said:
Hindsight is a beautiful thing. I built my PC on a budget just for VR gaming with the idea of upgrading in the future as the need arises. My C:\ drive was a reasonable 500GB but figured that that would be enough to tide me over until I would need another drive and had no reason to think oculus wouldnt be able to change the library folder. Steam has no issues with sharing multiple folders/drives to install its software so why ocullus cant manage it also is a total mystery to me. Guess oculus just doesnt want my money, with many other people in the same boat.

Fair enough. I did find a decent article with instructions on how to accomplish changing drives with the least amount of pain involved. Hope it helps!

https://www.vrheads.com/how-change-oculus-home-file-directory-windows-10

lepter
Protege

Zenbane said:

lepter said:

So you've been running out of C Drive space since the Steam days... and you are still defaulting new platforms to C?? C'mon now!

Yes, I agree that Oculus Home should eventually be as user friendly as every other software on the market. But just as such a thing can be reasonably expected of Oculus, it is also reasonable to expect the End User to learn to avoid the C Drive as a default platform for entertainment software.

"So you've been running out of C Drive space since the Steam days... and you are still defaulting new platforms to C?? C'mon now!"
Nope...I never said that. I built this PC just for VR and used my old steam account to get the games alongside oculus home. Its not rocket science to add that functionality as steam does manage it quite easily. Not everyone has multiple drives on their PCs and if I had known about this issue at the start, I would have set up my PC different. I only discovered this issue when the need arose, much to my annoyance. Its a lesson learned but my point is that I shouldnt have to learn it because Ocullus should provide this basic functionality. They dont so im stuffed. Steam will have to have my cash. Oh well.