cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW DATA - The Best VR Game So Far

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You might have heard of (or played)  RAW DATA which released yesterday as an Early Access game (July 15th 2016). It's a sci-fi first person shooter currently for the HTC Vive.  I bit the bullet and bought the game £23.99 (normal price £29.99) and just had one of the most intense VR experiences I've had since owning a current gen VR headset - it simply blows all the other shooters I've played out of the water.  The robot enemies are a little lacking to be honest and would be much better if they were human but the overall the immersion and presence is incredible. The production values are way above most games and it feels like a proper VR experience even in its current state. You basically hack, duck, dodge, shoot and survive whilst being able to teleport around the room in pant wetting first person action. Brilliant!

Aside from being excited about the game, I'm posting this here because this needs to be on both VR headsets it's just too good to be limited to just the Vive.  Now that there's talk of more cameras being usable for the Rift and Touch releasing sooner rather than later I believe people need to pressure the devs to make this compatible with the Rift. I assume once they can work with Touch they might just do it. If you own a Vive though, then you must get this.

From the official FAQs:

Will Raw Data be available on Oculus, PSVR or any other platform?

• We are a platform agnostic studio and are interested in bringing Raw Data to other platforms. For now we are focused on development for HTC Vive.
Will Raw Data allow local co-op between both Rift and Vive?

• This is something we're looking into and will update when we have an answer.

GAME ON.

Official Website : - http://rawdatagame.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZOKS-vzBro

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
46 REPLIES 46

kzintzi
Trustee

zboson said:

I am really looking forward to the reviews of Oculus room scale vs. Vive room scale. I suspect that the Vive may still have a few areas where it is competitive.

I hope so - competition is how we'll end up with 4k screens, haptic gloves and other such things... if the market is stagnant and there is noone to compete against it'll be slow going...

video cards are only as good as they are now because of NVidia and ATI going head to head.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

aszeto68
Honored Guest
it's free to play for 3 days on Steam right now or buy it at 25% off!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/436320/

Wheatabits
Expert Protege
Will it work on the Rift today?

CrashFu
Consultant
This is probably the only "vive game" that I'm really seriously interested in at this point.   If they release it on Oculus Home, I'll buy it in an instant.  If it stays exclusive to the Steam platform and they just add on Rift and Touch support, well ... I'd have to think about it.

Regardless, I agree that this looks like a really good VR game, and one of the few SteamVR games to actually appear to be room-scale and not just standing-scale.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
Ok performance issue solved : 

There's a setting in the game called Mirror Window(and also in the config file named Engine.ini at C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\RawData\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor)

In there, the line :

[SteamVR.Settings] 
WindowMirrorMode=0

It should read as 0. I found it was set to 1 and was the cause of all my performance issues with a system using a 1080.

Oddly on another system this was set to 0 by default!

Thankfully this was all that was needed to stop the poor performance.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
So how does/will this compare to Robo Recall?  Has anyone played both?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Iblysi
Heroic Explorer

Zoomie said:

So how does/will this compare to Robo Recall?  Has anyone played both?

Unless your someone from the press, i doubt anyone has been able to demo Robo Recall yet.
But i did play Raw Data at a friends house. It's an ok game, but not a game i would spend $40 on myself. Robo Recall seems more Lighthearted, and if the Bullet Train tech demo is anything to go by. it will play good as well.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I watched Super Hot on the thread on this forum the other day.  Pretty excited for that one.  It looks pretty innovative and I enjoyed watching Jack Septiceye play it a few months ago (non VR).  To be honest all three of these games look pretty similar at the basest level.  I think they'll be great fun, but my ranking for excitement probably goes Super Hot, Robo Recall, then Raw Data a close third.  
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

falken76
Expert Consultant
All of these games look like the same old thing.  This is another wave shooter right?  Can you teleport around like Arizona Sunshine?  Or is it a set level and you can teleport around within that level?

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

Zoomie said:

I watched Super Hot on the thread on this forum the other day.  Pretty excited for that one.  It looks pretty innovative and I enjoyed watching Jack Septiceye play it a few months ago (non VR).  To be honest all three of these games look pretty similar at the basest level.  I think they'll be great fun, but my ranking for excitement probably goes Super Hot, Robo Recall, then Raw Data a close third.  

Oh Heavens I cannot stand him. I am not sure whom is worse, him or Pew. The only good thing about watching him play with Touch is the hope he may smack his face in the wall or punch himself in the mouth.

falken76 said:

All of these games look like the same old thing.  This is another wave shooter right?  Can you teleport around like Arizona Sunshine?  Or is it a set level and you can teleport around within that level?

Super hot = stationary play though you can shuffle about your play area if you need to reach something.
AZ = teleport
Raw Data = strafe/move, turn/pitch on Touch and gamepad
Robo Recall = teleport?