cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Re)discover The Climb - true PCVR as awesome as ever!

RuneSR2
Level 16

On Reddit I've seen several users moaning about not getting The Climb 2 for PCVR, instead Oculus only makes the game available to bottom-end VR solutions like the Quests, which have about 1/30 of the RTX 3080 gpu power. 

Even if Crytek made an awesome job disguising the severe shortcomings of the Quests processing powers, reviewers weren't fooled:

"it feels like the game is knocking up against Quest 2’s modest compute overhead, which necessitates some lower res textures, and also what I assume is a very strong use of FFR (fixed foveated rendering), as you can clearly see the border between higher resolution sections in the middle of your field of view and those ‘feathered out’ in the periphery."

Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/the-climb-2-review-oculus-quest-2/

"Despite the fact that the visuals are clearly held back by the mobile processing power of the Oculus Quest, The Climb 2 still manages to look absolutely breathtaking at times. When you’re in the thick of things, clinging on for dear life, desperately scanning the side of a cliff trying to find the next handhold, you don’t tend to notice the muddy up close textures, but they’re still there. Or when you’re standing at the top of a mountain and looking out at the gorgeous landscape you don’t usually notice that the water isn’t moving or that the natural landmarks are a tad blurry, even though they are [....] the city levels didn’t look as good up close as the mountain regions [...] The Climb 2 is held back visually by its target platform"

Source: https://uploadvr.com/the-climb-2-review-vr/

Instead of moaning about not getting the Climb 2 for PCVR, why not simply enjoy Climb 1, which still is an amazing game? Personally I've had the game for more than 3 years, and didn't complete more than like 25%.  And this Rift game has an awesome rating of 86 % in the Store. 

I get the feeling that many PCVR owners have not completed The Climb - for those maybe it's time to rediscover the game? Also many Rift owners still have never tried The Climb, and in that case don't complain that you cannot play the iron version, while you in fact have full access to the gold version, lol 🙂

Maybe try to Revive it with Reverb G2, Vive (Pro) or Index? The Climb may shine like never before in high-res hmds maybe even powered by a new powerful Nvidia or AMD gpu? Maintaining 90 fps using Rift CV1 and ss 2.0 easily can require a RTX 2080 Ti or better. Thus The Climb may not really have aged the last 4 years, as only recently we've gotten gpus which allow us to experience the game it all it's glory (or close).  

If you've completed the game, maybe that happened a long time ago and another run could be fun? (Note that very early birds may have completed The Climb using Xbox controllers, but the game has long ago been updated to fully support Touch.) 

Some shots, also to show the amazing lighting - and just check out the textures on the glove (click on the image to see full size) - the Climb truly shines when you start to increase super sampling (ss), I'm using ss 2.0 for the CV1:

Unavngivet.png

789675.JPG

234t.JPG

Climb_Alps_Easy_EnvShot_Glove_Shot_Final_1080.jpg

Climb_Alps_Easy_EnvShot_Mountain_Peak_Final_1080.jpg

    

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

2 REPLIES 2

RuneSR2
Level 16

Just tested The Climb using both Index and CV1.

Valve Index - The Climb works perfectly using Revive 2.1.1. Knuckles emulate Touch with no problems. But The Climb uses temporal antialiasing which creates a slightly blurry image quality. Like in Squadrons, you can increase temporal sharpening to make the game look less blurry, especially great when using lcd hmds. I tried to completely deactivate antialiasing, it didn't make that much difference, still not many jaggies and slightly blurry image quality (but not bad in any way), so I suspect there's some basic (temporal) antialiasing integrated in the engine (disabling Lone Echo antialiasing and jaggies are everywhere with the Index, not so with The Climb).I used SteamVR res 150% res - and I really need that RTX 3090, lol. Well I did get like 45 fps in 90 Hz with my oc'ed GTX 1080, but motion smoothing works worse than ASW 2.0. A few in-game locations worked better using 120 Hz, because then I got 60 fps compared to 45 fps using 90 Hz, and 60 fps are a lot smoother. Note that in-game res setting does not work, when using Revive super sampling must be set in SteamVR. If SteamVR res is changed while the game is running, you need to restart the game for the increased res to take effect.

Oculus Rift CV1 - now super sampling 2.0 works perfectly when set in-game. I got 45 fps using maxed out settings, including maximum temporal sharpening. Image quality is very sharp - not blurry at all. Blacks and colors look awesome - and I don't notice the SDE when moving. Text was much sharper than using lcd hmd thanks to pure ss 2.0. Clearly this is the way this game is meant to be played. I can see the ASW 2.0 kicking in several places - I think a RTX 3080 or better will be perfect if you want to play this game using the best in-game settings and a CV1. If you want to use Reverb G2, you might wanna wait for a RTX 5090, lol.

In short - really no problems using either Index or Rift CV1, but I preferred the image quality with the Rift CV1 due to the very sharp temporal antialiasing and the better performance. The index might shine more using res 200% in solid 90 fps, but that'll require a monster gpu (maybe RTX 3080 can handle it, but I'm not sure).

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Level 16

Just took the discussion to Reddit too, yup I'm immune to downvotes - I do not care 

RuneSR2_0-1615049765820.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/lyzvtc/time_to_revisit_the_climb_and_experience_the_true/ 

Still fun that a VR game from 2016 may need a RTX 3090 for 90 fps using an old Rift CV1, if you max out the in-game settings (so you don't add anything, you only use the settings provided by the devs in 2016). 

So it's no longer about Crysis - but can your rig run The Climb? I mean really run The Climb? 

RuneSR2_1-1615049949458.png