cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rise of the Tomb Raider 3D stereo query

GogglesNZ
Explorer
Has anybody managed to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in 3D stereo?
I can not make it work with my CV1 despite the SBS view in the options menu.
My 3D Nvidia version 376.53 and GTX 970 graphics card displayed the earlier Tomb Raider game so beautifully.
Any talk of a 3D patch in the future?
Here's hopeing.
10 REPLIES 10

jimirillo
Honored Guest
I gave it a go a while ago using SBS with bigscreen beta. I found the 3d stereo effect really good although the sensation that trees and leaves were constantly about to smack you in the face got a bit annoying after a while, I was using latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX1070. What problem are you having when trying to get it to work?

GogglesNZ
Explorer
Thank you for reply, I am really interested in how you managed to see it in 3D.
Now, I don't know what Bigscreen Beta is.  Can you please tell me what nvidia driver number worked for you.  I have read that a recent windows 10 update automatically resets the nvidia driver to 376.53 (a driver that is not findable on the nvidia website !).
The problem I am having;  Firstly, just trying the nvidia 3D stereo with the nvidia glasses on my regular flat monitor screen, no stereo, just the normal 2D picture.  The earlier Tomb Raider game works really well, nvidia 3D stereo on my flat monitor screen.  (Beautiful, beautiful).  Secondly, trying to get the stereoscopic effect with the Oculus Rift, had a big problem, not sure of the exact steps I took.  I used Virtual Desktop, set the viewer to SBS, added, for the first time, a game (rise of tomb raider) and on one occasion I saw two side by side images (not good) and on another occasion one image, very poor quality, which may or may not have been stereo.  Then a big problem.  On exit my monitor refused to come out of a very poor resolution state, could not reset it to normal 1680 x 1050, tried Display Settings and Nvidia Control Panel.  Even switching off and then on failed to set home screen back to normal resolution.  I had to restore whole PC system from a Clonezilla backup (made two days previously :smile: ).
Do you have any further thoughts on this, look forward to hearing from you, thanks again.

jimirillo
Honored Guest

Bigscreen beta is a free app that you use on the rift and it gives you an environment with a virtual monitor, much the same as virtual desktop.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1018613041536358/

I ran this, and ran Tomb Raider within this (much the same as you did with virtual desktop), then go into the tomb raider settings and set the side by side mode, at this point you will see 2 side by side images which will start to make your eyes go funny, hit F6 and bigscreen will switch to SBS mode giving you 3d tomb raider. I've probably made this sound more complicated than it is, once you see it, you'll know what you're doing.

I don't think the NVidia drivers are relevant as long as the game runs as it doesn't use 3d vision, so this should also work with AMD cards, but for the record, I'm using 376.53.

I've also used this with Trine 2 and I believe this will work with the other Trines and the other Tomb Raider (although I've not tested these myself).

jimirillo
Honored Guest
With your other problem (the monitor not coming out of the poor resolution state) it's possible that your graphics driver crashed (my rift caused a similar problem but I was just getting a black screen, I thought my graphics card had failed so pulled it out and put it in another machine only to find it was fine, so using a spare card, I uninstalled all of the NVidia drivers and software, put my 1070 back in and let it reinstall itself and low and behold, all was fine). So if you get that issue again (hopefully you wont) try removing and reinstalling the NVidia software as it might be easier than a full restore.

GogglesNZ
Explorer
Thank you Jimirillo.
It is late evening here now, I look forward to trying your Bigscreen suggestion tomorrow.  Thanks

vision
Explorer
Sry about off topic but have anyone here ever played this game with 4K 3D ?

It's so amazing with 65" 4K LG TV & passive 3D, I love this game 🙂

You need high end pc and compatible 4K 3D passive tv (only few LG models can do this, I was lucky).

Via Nvidia 3D Vision you can only play 1280 x 720 & 60Hz or 1920 x 1080 & 24 Hz but with this hack you can play 3840 x 2160 & 60Hz in 3D !!

You can use official patch or 

http://helixmod.blogspot.fi/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/919928/3d-vision/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-2016-3d-vision-fix...

More information frome here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/818183/3d-vision/gtx-970-4k-3d-vision-gaming-success-with-l...

http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your-passive-3d-monitor-or-3d-hdtv-work-with-3d-vision/

GogglesNZ
Explorer
Hi Vision,
Your TV sounds great, glad it works for you, but much too complicated for me.
Hi Jimirillo,
Following your encouragement I tried again with Desktop and it did give 3D stereo.  F7 (half SBS) produced a better closer image than F6 (SBS) and of course F2/3 to bring the screen nearer is good.  No graphics card crash, hurrah.
Bigscreen Beta looks interesting, it did give 3D stereo on the virtual room screen, but there was annoyingly a superimposed in front smaller screen with my desktop also showing 2D Rise of Tomb Raider.
I'm content now that I know 3D stereo is possible with Virtual Desktop, but of course you do loose some of the excellent resolution of the game.
All the best.

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
I managed to get Doom (2016) and Skyrim (Extended Edition) working in 3D. Shadow Warrior 2 didn't work and I read somewhere that people struggle with Directx 12 release games.
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

truefive
Protege

jimirillo said:

Bigscreen beta is a free app that you use on the rift and it gives you an environment with a virtual monitor, much the same as virtual desktop.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1018613041536358/

I ran this, and ran Tomb Raider within this (much the same as you did with virtual desktop), then go into the tomb raider settings and set the side by side mode, at this point you will see 2 side by side images which will start to make your eyes go funny, hit F6 and bigscreen will switch to SBS mode giving you 3d tomb raider. I've probably made this sound more complicated than it is, once you see it, you'll know what you're doing.

I don't think the NVidia drivers are relevant as long as the game runs as it doesn't use 3d vision, so this should also work with AMD cards, but for the record, I'm using 376.53.

I've also used this with Trine 2 and I believe this will work with the other Trines and the other Tomb Raider (although I've not tested these myself).

jimirillo said:

I gave it a go a while ago using SBS with bigscreen beta. I found the 3d stereo effect really good although the sensation that trees and leaves were constantly about to smack you in the face got a bit annoying after a while, I was using latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX1070. What problem are you having when trying to get it to work?

Hey.

I know how to set up everything in bigscreen, but the option for 3D in Tomb Raider is'nt available (greyed out) for me.

Any ideas?