cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robinson the Journey is awesome with the RTX 3090 - Steam version works with native Oculus drivers!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Still some of the best graphics in VR - I just took these shots: 

20211127200403_1.JPG

I never get tired of this view - only topped by the intro in Alyx? 🤔 You got smooth locomotion and smooth turning

20211127194947_1.JPG

The most dense vegetation ever seen in VR - and it still is - Crytek's 3D engine is showing off some muscle

Unfortunately the Oculus version no longer works - that is the game instantly crashes with an error message, and this goes for Quest 2, Rift-S, CV1 etc - see all the recent negative reviews in the Oculus Store, here're the 3 latest reviews:

"This no longer starts when connected to Quest 2. Worked about 6 months ago. Devs please fix as I’d like to finish the game."

"I write this review because of a problem. Robinson: The Journey has been an awesome game. I bought and played it in early 2021, almost a year ago, and it worked fine. Now it doesn't even start, which is why I removed and reinstalled it, but it didn't help. I use Oculus Rift S. If Robinson: The Journey ever starts to work again like it did, I think it has value of 5 stars. Until then, it is not worth buying."

"some months ago it runs perfect with Link and virtual desktop. But now its not working anymore: not in Link/AirLink or virtual desktop. Support contacted. Oculus pls help!"

etc. 

Don't bother uninstalling and reinstalling, it's not going to help (I just tested that and lost all my save games) - probably Oculus broke something, because the game has been working perfectly for years, and the game has not been patched recently, and now the game does not work. 

20211127194750_1.JPG

Awesome dynamic shadows - don't be fooled, this is Crytek as great as they've ever been 

20211127194853_1.JPG

Dense high-polygon vegetation - and HDR-like lighting

For those unfamiliar with the game, this is by far the best dinosaur game in VR - totally feels like being in Jurassic World. 

Fortunately the game still works on Steam, and the Steam version supports native Oculus drivers - so if the Oculus version is broken, the Steam version still works perfectly and will provide same performance on Oculus hmds. Get the Steam version for just $5 here (offer ends December 1 2021):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/579820/Robinson_The_Journey/

Btw, don't be fooled by the PSVR release - the game has been massively enhanced for PCVR, just see the lighting and vegetation here:

robinson-the-journey-graphics.jpg

Even today the PCVR visuals in Robinson bow to no one

The visuals are demanding, but with high-end gpus you can turn up all settings to the max and never dip below let's say 90 fps. Today I just watched insects fly - especially the butterflies - everything looked so incredibly alive. I've completed the game before, now I'm considering going back. With no need for ASW due to the brute force of the RTX 3090, controls felt more natural than ever. 

Note that Crytek sort of takes over everything when the game is running. So Oculus Tray Tool does not work (you can change settings, but it won't be activated) - and the SteamVR res slider does not work either (that is changes won't take effect in the game). You can up super sampling to 2.0 inside the game, and this slider works both for Oculus and Steam hmds, but while ss 2.0 looks great with the Rift CV1, it does not look that great with lcd hmds. Using Rift CV1 ss 2.0 with all settings maxed out in solid 90 fps still is an awesome experience. Do use normal antialiasing, as the temporal setting even using CV1 is way too blurry. 

In short, don't despair if the Oculus version isn't working and neither Oculus nor Crytek care, just get the Steam version. That's what I just did. 

The original trailer still looks fine though 🙂 

- and here're some screenshots from Crytek - and the game does actually look like that:

ss_6e602226e68482d753a8b329fc9284b785f0a9a7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_862d04ec0fd023eb614217c4468e11c9b40b9afd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c664aca3dd696b12cd96cb50a442eed3548af46e.1920x1080.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

ss_1d7203e219fb4625a888597cf8363b1f79e78dc9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9bfe27e1d672f3a43f0017ef2cc855646cdc589e.1920x1080.jpg    

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

9 REPLIES 9

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Since there's often no response in here, really feels like we're down to about 5-10 active posters (apart from those seeking support for some issues), I exposed the problem to a much larger crowd. My post has been upvoted more than 150 times now, so I'm not alone liking this awesome game - and thinking it's really bad that the Oculus version does not get fixed. See the feedback here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/r40qyn/robinson_the_journey_no_longer_works_in_the_rift/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Great game! Even after all this years!

It could be enhanced a little to new Touch controllers use style, but visuals are best!

> Since there's often no response in here, really feels like we're down to about 5-10 active posters (apart from those seeking support for some issues), I exposed the problem to a much larger crowd.

Hope Metaverse will allow to post to all those places with one click 🙂

(if a post will be a single "media/content object" in it)

😄

Thank you for great posts with lot's of screenshots!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

My 10 year old son just tried the game - well, starting with 90 minutes in The Climb (he never gets motion sick or the like) - and then Robinson. That worked great, because he was now used to the climbing. He had the most awesome "Jurassic Park"-like moment when standing in front of a real-ish long neck 🙂  

Screenshot 2016-06-17 13.32.29.JPG

Just found the above image on the internet - my game looks much better, maybe time to take a few shots 🤔

Robinson The Journey still is one of my favorite VR games - not even Alyx does dense vegetation better (Alyx really has no dense vegetation).

Its a pretty game, but i got stuck where the i had to bring the dinosaur to gate, some of the control is painful.

Tonberry_Qing
Retired Support

I just watched a playthrough of this game and it looks really cool. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Plays well with my Q2/rtx3090 wireless with Air Link.  Visuals look very good with your recommendations.  Too bad my Index controllers don't work properly (hands switched over the wrong way) because the visuals with my amoled Vive Pro look even better.  Oh well, worth the $5 for my own pet dino, lol!  Cheers.

Edit; found a fix for Index controllers.  Need to turn them off in game, then turn them back on starting with the left one.  Still pretty hard to select some things like talk to the Dino though.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Awesome, yes got the switched hands too using Index, but never when using CV1. I'll try your tip tomorrow with the Index, thanks!

Btw, if I remember correctly the game has the same issue as The Climb, meaning the game does not react to the OTT or SteamVR res even when Revived, only the in-game slider made by Crytek works. And Robinson needs high res to reduce the TAA blur using lcd - but the game still looks amazing using CV1 ss 2.0 (ss 2.0 is the max in-game setting).

What I also like is that you do need to think to solve the puzzles, some aren't easy. And like The Climb you'll be climbing a lot in Robinson, but the story makes the climbing feel natural to being in this world - while climbing in The Climb lacks a deep purpose apart from the sport.

And you have two companions, not just one, and the AI isn't bad.

I guess most think that Crysis 1-3 are the best games ever made by Crytek - but I disagree, even with the cumbersome controls Robinson is the clear winner to me. You can't beat a full-blooded Jurassic Park VR adventure using the CryEngine to the max 🙂

Btw, here's what Crytek said about Robinson and their CryEngine:

"Robinson: The Journey draws inspiration from the reaction to our Back to Dinosaur Island 1 and 2 demos, which showcased some of the immersive possibilities that CRYENGINE can power with VR technology.  Dinosaur Island 1 offered an introductory experience, while Dinosaur Island 2 brought in a new layer of interactivity. The response to both really helped validate what we were doing internally with Robinson: The Journey, where we’ll be delivering a full game experience, giving players the unprecedented sense of presence that only virtual reality can provide.

Of course, at Crytek we’re both a developer of games, and a developer of our engine. As we welcome in this new era of interactive entertainment, creating games in virtual reality is no longer about whether the hardware works. It does. Instead, it’s about software and how you use it. It’s about developing new ways of telling stories and creating new game mechanics. More succinctly, and perhaps most excitingly, it’s about imagination.

Robinson: The Journey is one of our visions for what a game can be in this rich and barely explored new medium. With CRYENGINE, you’ll be able to realize your own vision."

https://www.cryengine.com/news/view/sony-and-crytek-bring-robinson-the-journey-to-life

I'm even having more fun with this with my Q2 wireless with Air Link now I found this little Fix to add to the Robinson config file.  I was using in-game 2.0x SS and AA = normal, rest on high.  Adding this fix made everything picture perfect.  Probably the best I've ever seen in VR.  I got this fix from the Steam discussions forum btw.

if ingame 2x still not fits your expectations add this to

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Robinson The Journey\system.cfg

"r_SuperSampling = 2"

Apparently this adds 2x2 super sampling, whatever that means?

https://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Anti-Aliasing

Try it, you'll like it imho!  Add this line to the config file using notepad without the quote marks.  I don't think it matters where but I added it to one of the graphics titles so I could find it again easier.  Also made a backup of the original config file just in case.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers