I just want to forewarn you, making a star wars mod for fun and giving it away probably will not set off any alarms at Lucas. Making a star wars mod and selling it via "Donators have a slightly more advanced version" is considered profiting off of their IP.
Lightsaber I was expecting: and it's pretty awesome. (For whatever reason holding a lightsaber here even in this half-baked form felt much more visceral than in the Lucasfilm 'Trials on Tatooine' experience. Maybe it's just that being Vive-controller optimised, so not quite right using Touch, and this feels really 'in your hand' being Touch controller optimised.) But what I wasn't expecting is to enjoy the blaster so much. Big and beautiful to shoot.
And how the Star Wars context makes everything better...deflecting bolts, even dodging them, so much cooler than the default bullets. The teleportation even feels a little better being a kind of 'force power'...almost. Beating up overly talkative droids feels right in a prequel way. Even the intro crawl suggesting a more epic and meaningful mission.
I'm gushing, this is still very simple of course and just pointing the way to a VR Star Wars of the future, there's just something very right about this, it's a lot of fun.
V2 Changelog (due for release soon)
- Menu System for changing colour of lightsaber.
- Some voice changes for the robots to some star wars ones
- Force Powers (BETA)
- Blaster improvements
- Lightsaber improvements
- No longer pushes the bots half way across the map when hit by saber and more realistic to the films
- Darth Makes an appearance with his saber although currently he does not fight but could be implemented but just not in the time i have,
- Tested out changing some bots for SW bots which needs a lot more work so again may consider doing after my challenge
- A few character phrases added from star wars
- Better projectiles but still in need of improvement
- More added to the main map and added a few extra sequences outside
- A few more bits
ETA for download approx 2 days maybe faster