cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniper Elite VR has launched in the Oculus Store and on Steam - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Level 15

Today's brand-new launch trialer, but age-restricted:

 

 

Get the game here:

 

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1501313913294054/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_15013139132...

 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/752480/Sniper_Elite_VR/

 

The Quest version is only 3GB, while the PCVR version is about 5 times bigger - at 14GB. So clearly the Quest version has been cut down massively. 

 

System requirements for the full VR version:

 

MINIMUM:

  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • OS: Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
  • Storage: 14 GB available space

 

RECOMMENDED:

  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • OS: Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700k / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon Vega 56

 

RoadToVR rated the Quest version 50%, while Upload rated the PCVR version 80%:

 

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/07/review-sniper-elite-vr/

 

Steam reviews are mixed at the moment, but you can try the game in both the Oculus Store and on Steam for up to 2 hours and refund if you don't like it. I've bought the game but won't have time to test it before the kids are sleeping later tonight, sigh. Some shots:

 

Sniper-Elite-VR-screenshot.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage4-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage2-1024x576.jpg

Sniper_Elite_VR_newimage1-1024x576.jpg

ss_d3b636c48101d8012331c71eee00260b68b67c97.1920x1080.jpg

ss_28d3980a0d6ae0b5a3e205d6e924e5a3c3fc690c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3d43d5088c1ae9d9b0a45af9f4742e90ee45affc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65136a79af30cd9ca8f4fd26112b62f71c22af7d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_00640765c895b7bfcc4cdb6e5a7a19245ed378b6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c876c7939d8e8ae8ba7b8d41aa2ed45f84e8f189.1920x1080.jpg

          

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

36 REPLIES 36


@Nekto2 wrote:

Ok, I'll agree that "successful" was a wrong description. More like you have said "..to allow the new generation of gamers to enjoy them..".

So graphics plays it's role, but it is not main part for game.

 

There some 2D style games. And ... may be ... Farlands in VR?


 

Agreed. I  mean, I never really tried to say that graphics are irrelevant. Afterall, without graphics we can't even "see" the game, right? 😁

 

It's similar to Life itself. We can see the world, but seeing it alone doesn't make you successful. It is all about what you "do."

 

 


@Nekto2 wrote:

One of examples I could think of is "onward". Low graphics lead to gameplay change (you can't hide in bushes and grass any more). But the game is still popular.


Right, but we don't need Bushes that require a $1,000 GPU to render lol

 

Counter-Strike is a better example. It is still one of the greatest FPS PvP games of all time, and is still used to this day in global tournaments with huge monetary prizes. Counter-Strike's graphics are decent, but hardly push the boundaries of a GPU.

 

 


@Nekto2 wrote:

Only type of "games" depending on graphics are ... do not know how to call them.... "travel experience to unknown worlds". They are more like work of art then game. And you need not intensive game play in there. They are "relaxing" experiences with a little of gameplay.

 


The Travel Experiences that I enjoy the most are the 360 Media experiences. Such as those on YouTube taken with a 360 camera. I love the realism, and the fact that they are merely film means I don't need a high end GPU to enjoy the experience.

 

One of my favorite travel experiences to date, is when someone mounted a GoPro to the wing of a Helicopter and flew around Las Vegas.

 

 


@Nekto2 wrote:

There some 2D style games. And ... may be ... Farlands in VR?


Farlands is one of my favorite VR experiences of all time; and my enjoyment has nothing to do with the graphics but the actual features of the game and interactions with the animals.

> Farlands is one of my favorite VR experiences of all time; and my enjoyment has nothing to do with the graphics but the actual features of the game and interactions with the animals.

 

Ok, then we have different tastes 🙂

I was enjoying the scenery of the alien world the most. And those creatures, how detail they were in VR! Their skins were so detail back then and looks so real (those changing colors)!  Even plates inside the ship were so detailed! I have seen scratches on those plates for the first time in VR!

And for gameplay it was not my favorite. I have not tried mach of a "photo games" before, so it was unique, but not so captive as to my taste.

 

> Right, but we don't need Bushes that require a $1,000 GPU to render lol

> Counter-Strike is a better example. It is still one of the greatest FPS PvP games of all time...

 

For me the reason is not in absolute graphics quality. I could enjoy chess game after all 😄  (even simple plastic one)

It's more like "inflation of graphics quality". If you have access to new generation of graphics it is not so cheerful to downgrade. It's expectations. And those depends on the every game independently. I'm not expecting CS to become much better in graphics, but I am disappointed if some game become worse in quality. It is relative quality, not absolute.

 

> It's similar to Life itself. We can see the world, but seeing it alone doesn't make you successful. It is all about what you "do."

 

Interaction with the wold is great and valuable part of experiencing the Life 🙂

But for my taste it is important (fix) what you see. Even I would say "new styles of what you see". Old same become boring after some time and give no joy.  That means I could enjoy simple styled games after game with good quality graphics but only if it has unique style look and "feel". In opposite same "action" become boring for me if there no good style of graphics (like "killing monsters" is not great with bad graphics style, there are lot's of game examples).

 

As an example from VR you could think of a game with room style change. Like "table tennis", "chess" etc. I would prefer room style with the graphics I like most (and it would be more advanced).

From real world you could think of "balancing on board" which is totally different if you are in a room, balancing on a skateboard, surfing on a wave or at the tall building top 🙂

 

So I think it is matter of taste and how great, new and unique is "gameplay".

 


@Nekto2 wrote:

 

I was enjoying the scenery of the alien world the most. And those creatures, how detail they were in VR! Their skins were so detail back then and looks so real (those changing colors)!  Even plates inside the ship were so detailed! I have seen scratches on those plates for the first time in VR!

And for gameplay it was not my favorite. I have not tried mach of a "photo games" before, so it was unique, but not so captive as to my taste.

 


Hmm, well there is so much more to Farlands than what you just described. The "pictures/photos" was a small part of the game. You had to learn each animals behaviors and preferences, in order to get them to interact with you differently. Depending on what you fed certain animals, they would act different and even perform tricks. The "mimic" creature was my favorite. You had to copycat each other successfully several times, and eventually the creature could hear you talk on your microphone and repeat words back to you.

 

There were other memorable tricks in the game as well. The imagery and photo taking was just a small part.

 

 


If you have access to new generation of graphics it is not so cheerful to downgrade. 

 

To me, that would be a difference between a "graphics enthusiast" vs a "gaming enthusiast." There are games released to this day with downgraded graphics yet get high praise an recognition. Such as, Blasphemous. Being a graphic enthusiast is different than being a gaming or VR enthusiast. As both a VR and Gaming enthusiast, I have no problem downgrading graphics if the experience itself is worthwhile. Graphics cannot make up for a bad experience. Just like putting pretty frosting on a cake that was made with rotten eggs won't make it taste better.

 

 

But for my taste it is impotent what you see. Even I would say "new styles of what you see". Old same become boring after some time and give no joy. 

I figure it was a typo, where you typed "impotent" instead of "important." But what's funny is that I would agree that putting emphasis on "what you see" over "what you experience" does create an "impotent" result; based on the definition of "unable to take effective action."

 

I do agree that the "old same" can become boring, which is why we need "new experiences" instead of just trying to make the "same old boring" look different.

 

Your argument indicates that there is value in taking something that is old and boring and making it look different in order to make it less old and boring. But that doesn't work, since "boring" is a feeling that comes from "interaction." Interacting with something is different than merely looking at something.

 

When classic games are re-mastered with updated graphics, it is only for 2 reasons: Give nostalgia to gamers who enjoyed it originally; and attract new players. However, if you already found the game "old and boring" then playing the re-mastered version won't help since the experience is the same.

 

 

Killing monsters with bad graphics can be just as fun as killing monsters with good graphics. Killing monsters with good graphics can be just as boring as killing monsters with bad graphics. Sometimes, killing monsters with bad graphics can be more fun than killing monsters with good graphics. It depends on the game experience itself, not the graphics.

 

Your responses confuse me a bit, since you will agree with me that graphics alone don't drive an experience, yet you will then follow that up with arguing that graphics drive the experience.

Sorry, it was a typo 😞

 

> Your responses confuse me a bit, since you will agree with me that graphics alone don't drive an experience, yet you will then follow that up with arguing that graphics drive the experience.

 

We just have a different tastes. I'm trying to tell that for me there is not "100% superiority" of graphics over game logic or in opposite. For some games (like multiplayer battles) game logic wins more in overall experience. For others graphics is a main part to keep playing (like Farlands, where game logic was not so complex and interesting for me to keep playing on it's own).

 

I understand that your arguments are for the fact that Quest and Quest 2 are great devices. I agree that they are great devices.

And next Quest device will have more power and support for better graphics. Will you tell then that next Quest is bad and old Quest and Quest 2 are good just becouse they have enouth level of graphics? I think no. I think you will upgrade what is good up to capabilities of next Quest 🙂

That is "graphics inflation", when you see better graphics you will think of older not the same as you have thought before. Same were for 2d monitors and games.

 

Are current Quests great to have great game experience overall? Of course they are.

 

Ok, it is not so easy to measure resolution of VR device. It seems that it is (in pixel count), but we have 2 eyes and perceived "resolution" is more then that inside our brain. More so.... if we have oled with fast pixel switching that will increase resolution while head is in motion (mind will reconstract better quality of image from that motion).

Anyway I could feel those differences and know which is better looking and which is not. And for me personally better looking is better 🙂  (if it is not killing gaming with slow frame rate of course).


@Nekto2 wrote:

We just have a different tastes. I'm trying to tell that for me there is not "100% superiority" of graphics over game logic or in opposite. For some games (like multiplayer battles) game logic wins more in overall experience.


Agreed. I guess this would be a good time to ask... what are some of your favorite 2D Pancake games? And what are some of your favorite VR Games?

 

This may help give us a good baseline for our tastes 😁

 

 


@Nekto2 wrote:

I understand that your arguments are for the fact that Quest and Quest 2 are great devices. I agree that they are great devices.


 

Ah, well I should clarify then! So, before Quest, I enjoyed the Rift CV1 for several years. More specifically, I ran my CV1 on a Desktop PC that only had a 980. I was able to enjoy high-end games like Lone Echo without problems. So my main argument is really that... we don't need high-end machines with high-end graphics cards in order to enjoy "the best gaming experiences."

 

Overall, I do not believe that graphics make an experience "great." We had great experiences back with the Floppy Disk and 8-Bit console days.

dburne
Level 15

So anyone have any more thoughts on Sniper Elite VR??

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

Nope, refunded many days ago - not going to pay even $5 for this games on sale. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I’ve been enjoying it. Some of the stealth missions can be quite challenging (or maybe I just don’t have the patience to wait for loud noises like overhead planes to mask the sound of my shots). I think I’ve gone through less than half of the game (maybe 8 of 18 missions), but I’ve played some missions several times to complete various challenges. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

dburne
Level 15

Ok thanks for the feedback - I already have it but have not started it yet, had not seen much posted about it so was curious.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

> So my main argument is really that... we don't need high-end machines with high-end graphics cards in order to enjoy "the best gaming experiences."

 

Agree. But I think it is too much of generalization.

Some people will enjoy, some will not and "best gaming" is depending on tastes.

Ok, it is possible to "learn" to enjoy visuals with less detailed graphics even. (you could learn to enjoy b/w images even after you see lot's of colored images, but that means you will pay attention to other parts and details of images then color).

 

So I do not think that ability to enjoy games with low graphics detail should mean that you should persuade yourself not to buy better graphics cards 🙂

Or that you should stop trying to play games with high details 🙂

I could enjoy both low level graphics games (if I find in them something amazing) and detailed graphics games (for their level of graphics).

Same way there are cool films with great VFX and cool films without any VFX (but great story).

 

> Overall, I do not believe that graphics make an experience "great." We had great experiences back with the Floppy Disk and 8-Bit console days.

 

Ok that is your point. It is up to your taste.

We have had great experience and "live in game" because we have nothing to compare. But now we have choice 🙂

So some people will choose low level graphics (but great in other aspects) games. Some will try to find games with better graphics.

Anyway they cold not afford super computers, so that level of details will not be "most possible in the world" but just "another level" we have access to. Different people will have different access to hardware so they will enjoy games they could have access to.

You could go to cinema with big cinema screen and see what "detailed graphics" really meant in modern world 😄  That will not be accessible in PC games for next ten or more years :))  But we enjoy games nevertheless.

 

So I think that it all relative to individual persons experience.

 

> what are some of your favorite 2D Pancake games? And what are some of your favorite VR Games?

 

That would be too long list to write 🙂

Same way with movies and books.

I think main point is not "the name of a game" but "what is the aspect of game" you are enjoying. For me that is "to see something I have not seen or have not experienced in action before". But... then it will lead to time spent. For some "new" aspects it could be 10 minutes of enjoyment. For others it could be hours. I am not the type of person to spend years in the same game 🙂 Do not like repetitive parts like grinding.

More so I could enjoy video recording of some games/parts or to watch other people playing them (if I like story/graphics but not the gameplay). Game bugs could bring much of fun even 😄 (they give "new" experience)

So games are changing fast enough and replaced with new favorites. Those which were favorites are just good memories and not current favorites. 🙂

 

What about your tastes in games? 🙂