cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Explorers is simply awesome! A must-have if you like space and NASA

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Didn't think this would be something special, and paying $3 for a 5GB 20min movie did put me off for some days. But I downloaded the first movie today - and it was simply awesome. Here's the trailer:

This app has been out for some years for Oculus hmds, but episode 2 is new:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/07/episode-two-of-felix-pauls-space-explorers-series-is-now-avaiable/

Right now you can download episodes 1 and 2 - and Season 2 with 3 episodes is expected later. The app is free, but the movies are not. If you just get the free app (151MB), there are some great 360 degrees photos and you can download the Season 2 trailer (1.4GB) for free.

Not sure ss worked, but I did use ss 2.0 for my CV1 and had no problems - image quality was great, but of course could be even better. Then again, 5GB for 20 minutes seems fairly balanced - quality vs download size. 

You can refund the movies if you don't like them - but I couldn't dream of doing that, the whole family needs to see this!  🙂

20211222_215600.jpg

20211222_215543.jpg

20211222_215649.png

cm2A3f7MVR39gJrp4aeyzR.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

13 REPLIES 13

Double_Shot
Adventurer
Yep.  This is a must-have IMHO.  An absolutely fantastic production and one of the best I have seen in VR for this genre.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Did just watch Season 1 Episode 2 - I'm not that fond of the Russian stories, might delete that one and just keep Episode 1. Looking forward to Season 2. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I must get this, but I can't help but wonder why they are considering a tricky mission to Mars and not just planning a Moon base first. I take it this is to do with the survival of mankind, so why not a Moon base to start with?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Is the app called Space Explorers, or is it an in-app purchase from a Felix & Paul app? Is it region-restricted? When I follow the link from the article, I get to a page on the Oculus store called "Unpublished app - Nasa" and i can't buy it.

tj3pic0ftuk4.jpg

Edit: never mind, searched Space Explorers and got to the proper app.

Edit 2: Does anyone know if the in-app purchases are cross-buy? The app is also available for Quest, so I might prefer to watch it there.

Edit 3: For the record, the in-app content purchases are cross-buy. I bought them on Quest, and was also able to download them on Rift. The file sizes were different--3.3GB each on Quest, and 5GB each on Rift.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Double_Shot
Adventurer

RedRizla said:

I must get this, but I can't help but wonder why they are considering a tricky mission to Mars and not just planning a Moon base first. I take it this is to do with the survival of mankind, so why not a Moon base to start with?

It actually has less to do with the survival of mankind and more to do with just the basic, human need to explore and push our boundaries further and further out.  But I do agree about one thing - I think having a permanent presence on the moon should be our first priority.  From a scientifically strategic, logistical and practical point of view, it just makes more sense.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

xcwv05cr46y0.jpg

First Season 2 episode just arrived - a bit on the heavy side with 9.1GB for a 25 min video, but worth it (a bit grey in quality - might look best using an oled hmd - I use Rift CV1 for these videos, SDE might fool your brain to see higher res, and I could not use Revive for the Index so you may need an Oculus hmd to see these films). Even though these 360 degrees VR movies can be hard on the eyes, I really felt like I've been on the ISS after watching the film.

NEW EPISODE: The ISS Experience Episode 1, Adapt

The largest production ever filmed in space, Space Explorers: The ISS Experience is an epic four-part immersive series that invites you to join eight astronauts on life-changing missions aboard the International Space Station. Shot over two years with exclusive access to the crew, The ISS Experience offers an intimate take on the joy, wonder, and dangers of life in orbit.

Get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/4109168145824350/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_41091681458...

Btw - in case someone wonders what hmd the astronauts used when making these movies and more 😉

Picture published August 2020 by NASA: 
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-astronaut-aboard-space-station-to-answer-girl-scouts-questio...

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The app "Space Explorers" has been updated with the new video Advance (9.2GB, 360 degrees).

Actually not sure when it happened, but I did get an update today for the app - get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/4109168145824350/

These are my favorite VR videos of all - simply amazing. More info about Advance:

NEWEST EPISODE: THE ISS EXPERIENCE EPISODE 2 - ADVANCE

Astronauts perform critical experiments that push the boundaries of life in space as three crew members prepare to return to earth.

Duration: 33 minutes

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Many Index owners greatly dislike Facebook - but I'm sure they love NASA - and I love to stimulate other Index owners with difficult choices - cause they have to use Revive to get access, lol.

And I may get downvoted a lot, but that's just part of the fun 😉

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/mgbral/nasa_space_explorers_just_updated_visit_the/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RoadToVr just published a nice article about Space Explorers:

https://www.roadtovr.com/space-explorers-vr-iss-felix-paul/

I've purchased all the awesome episodes, maybe I should check later today if something new has arrived. New episodes will be added to the app with no need to update the app, so sometimes I miss new episodes for weeks because I get no notice.