cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Wars: Squadrons (Impressions)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
As of now, I've spent over 3 hours in SW:S, and I'm really enjoying the heck out of this flight shooter!

I won't be attempting a comprehensive review (yet) since I haven't finished the full single story campaign, but I do want to call out some great first impressions.

In particular, the character models and realism is rather amazing and rare in VR. Some of the character models are convincingly realistic.

mb5q1ts3l18l.jpg

ocyw6g9qj0ij.jpg

Experiencing VR's "presence" with these characters is quite the special treat. I go out of my way to engage in one-on-one dialogue with each character (as available).

Now, if I had a complaint, it would be that there is no free-form movement. Everything is fixed in place, with Teleportation to predetermined areas. Very much on par with Wilson's Heart (another personal VR favorite). However, there are multiple areas that open up for exploration, and there are quite a few times where I truly felt like I was in a Star Wars universe (or on the set of a Star Wars film).

90r81sz9gogx.jpg

Note that all of these images are coming straight from my machine, and I'm playing this on the classic Rift CV1, with a mere GTX 980.

One of my favorite aspects of this game are the nuances. I love how they load an R2 unit in to the back of your ship. And this droid is very vocal and animated. You can turn your head behind you any time to see the droid being fully animated.

otltvsp485gv.jpg

Other minor details include the use of the Holo-comm inside the ship; where your Commander can pop in to give you orders in classic Star Wars fashion.

u3nn8qo1ziu9.jpg

As for the flight combat itself,

I would simply compare this more directly with Eve Valkyrie. It has a strong "flight arcade shooter" feel to it; with a heavy emphasize on arcade-style. But once you get the hang of the controls, taking out enemy fighters, blasting turrets off huge ships, dodging missiles, and taking on larger than life vessels feels like this title is well worth the price of admission.
145 REPLIES 145

Anonymous
Not applicable
My HOTAS setup:

VKB Gunfighter Pro w/ 200mm extension and VKB Ultimate all metal grip. This pic was prior to having the Ultimate Grip.
Virpil CM 3 Throttle with detents.
MFG Crosswind Pedals.

I use this setup for DCS, IL-2, MSFS 2020, Star Wars Squadrons.

Then I have my Logitech G29 wheel, pedals, and shifter:

Yeah I need to work on my cable management for this one. I have it mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro. Currently only using it with Automobilista 2. However my flight sims have taken the bulk of my time of late, have not even tried AMS2 with the Reverb G2 yet.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Btw, in case some don't know this - Squadrons has it's own Subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/

Nice. Squadrons also has a strong community on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/865566303464450

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm hooked on this game. I've finally gotten to the point where I sometimes *gasp* am the #1 player. Rarely but sometimes.

My biggest mistake was when I first played I wanted it realistic and turn off hud elements. Big mistake. 

Next was learning to not stray too far from the frigates for reloading and healing. Once you take damage return to the frigates. 

So much more. The learning curve is pretty steep in this game. So many different loadouts and tactics. It's extremely intense. 

It's great to have a VR game with great multiplayer!
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I noticed something slightly strange, when testing HOTAS in the pancake version I got some interference (shimmering) patterns in some textures. That was using 1920x1080, but indicated that textures were so high-res that the monitor could not properly show them. Indeed for the cockpits and npcs, I do believe that Squadrons has "ultramersion" (4k-ish) textures - like Alyx and Boneworks. Such texture res really shines using high-res lcd hmds. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

I noticed something slightly strange, when testing HOTAS in the pancake version I got some interference (shimmering) patterns in some textures. That was using 1920x1080, but indicated that textures were so high-res that the monitor could not properly show them. Indeed for the cockpits and npcs, I do believe that Squadrons has "ultramersion" (4k-ish) textures - like Alyx and Boneworks. Such texture res really shines using high-res lcd hmds. 

Perhaps because it was primarily made for VR...
 😉 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

Perhaps because it was primarily made for VR...
 😉 

Or just 4k pancakes or both, lol - I think the devs said they started VR very close to the beginning. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"