cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StarWars Squadrons Official Reveal and Gameplay Trailers - Full PCVR support

RuneSR2
Level 16
Kinda looks way too awesome to be true... (in 90 fps, SteamVR res 150+ %, Reverb G2 - 3080 Tis may sell like hot cakes, lol)

https://youtu.be/w0eRkhR1z6A

xc9supla551x.jpg
gp9rjqht8dc2.jpg
aoh0akf2q43u.jpg
kuqmnw82kd8k.jpg
bgzmxlrrfr2u.jpg

October 2, 2020

STAR WARS™: Squadrons is available October 2, 2020 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Origin PC, Steam, Epic Games Store, and Virtual Reality (VR) on PlayStation 4 and PC with cross-play support.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

210 REPLIES 210

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
RuneSR2 said:
I think people differ a lot, some will see microstuttering, some will not. 
Instead of asking if users had issues, we need to ask what fps range did you measure using fpsVR and exactly what settings did you use in-game and for SteamVR res - and which Nvidia driver did you use. 2c.

I was thinking about doing a Steam/Origin comparison while refunding but I'm feeling so lazy today (been fixing a leak on my Alfa last 3 days) I just can't be bothered.

Refunding Steam and going Origin. Sometimes in life you just need to grease yourself up and slide along the path of least resistance.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

vannagirl
Level 12

RuneSR2 said:
I think people differ a lot, some will see microstuttering, some will not. 
Instead of asking if users had issues, we need to ask what fps range did you measure using fpsVR and exactly what settings did you use in-game and for SteamVR res - and which Nvidia driver did you use. 2c.

I was thinking about doing a Steam/Origin comparison while refunding but I'm feeling so lazy today (been fixing a leak on my Alfa last 3 days) I just can't be bothered.

Refunding Steam and going Origin. Sometimes in life you just need to grease yourself up and slide along the path of least resistance.

So basically you are saying you joined the Galactic Empire.

Got it!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Starfleet

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

pyroth309
Level 14

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

I'd so much like to use Index controllers instead - even if these would just mirror the gamepad. Very cumbersome needing to use Index controller to launch the game inside SteamVR, and then having to switch to gamepad - and then needing to find my Index controller in the darkness every-time I need to access SteamVR menus (does not work with the gamepad) - so I need access to both gamepad and Index controllers, very annoying. Using Oculus Home access to just XBox controller would be enough.

If you were using a Rift, you could use my Auto Oculus Touch to remap the Touch controllers to emulate a gamepad. 🙂

I don't know if it still works but this guy made a tool to map Index controllers to xbox 360 outputs but I see no updates since 2019. May still work.

dburne
Level 16

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

I can't figure out when you are first dropped into a ship - Tie Fighter in my case - you are to press some key to recenter the view. I can never make out what key it is telling me to press. So I just fumble pressing a bunch of keys till finally something takes and it does it's thing. Then I can continue.

The game feels like totally made for my XBox 360 controller - you use this button to recenter (default):

eldb1z9ppa5a.jpg

Ok found my X-Box controller and adapter and got them paired up.
Much better navigating the menus now, thanks for the tip!

I do hope they get mouse cursor support in VR soon - guess that is only a Steam VR thing? Are folks with the Origin copy of the game getting a mouse cursor in VR?

Got all my axis tuned to my liking, I have an extended stick so I went with 100% sensitivity for it.
Now just got to figure out what essentials I need to assign to what buttons on my stick and throttle.
Just playing around in practice with my lasers I did destroy one X-Wing before others nailed me.

Running graphics on Ultra settings and it is gorgeous, and performance seems to be fine for me, Very smooth gameplay.

Edit: Oh and also be sure you have good cpu cooler, this one gives my cores a pretty good workout.
Based on what I am seeing it appears the game makes pretty good use of multithreading. My cores run warmer than with my combat flight sims.
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

RuneSR2
Level 16
This was kinda hard work - but some interesting results. fpsVR works perfectly when started before launching Squadrons. The game worked perfectly today. Not sure I was completely right yesterday - I think you can change motion smoothing and Hz without restarting the game. 

I think this game has some kind of semi-adaptive super sampling - fpsVR readings were not fixed (and much different from what I'd set for SteamVR res), but changed when I changed Hz.

Not sure there's any truth to a 60 fps tick-rate, but the game is really smooth running 60 fps x 2 in 120 Hz. But it's also extremely smooth running 48 fps x 3 in 144 Hz. Unfortunately I did not often get 60 fps x 2 in 120 Hz, but got 40 fps x 3  :# (That's why I don't think Norm from Tested got 120 fps in 120 Hz - but he may have gotten 60 fps x 2 in 120 Hz.)
I preferred 45 x 2 in 90 Hz, because then my res was automatically increased to 147 %. Using 48 fps x 3 in 144 Hz I noticed ss going down to as much as 93% - but those 48 fps x 3 were really smooth, lol.

I ended up with 45 fps x 2 in 90 Hz with motion smoothing activated - it ran really smooth (today) and res 147 % makes all the difference - totally feels like sitting in a real cockpit. Fun thing - I got the same 45 fps using Low or Ultra settings. Might need a 3080 to really push things... 

One thing I noted is that the special setting - something with temporal antialiasing sharpness - which by default is set to 35% should be increased to 100% using LCD hmds - to decrease the blurry effect of temporal antialiasing (TAA).
First I thought that setting was only for non-VR, but it affects VR just as much! It makes all the difference going from 35 to 100 % - textures start to look much more like a real SW movie. This setting does not affect performance. 

Now TAA can be reduced to low quality instead of high (one of the bottom settings in the menu), but that's not a good idea - it does not significantly reduce any blurriness, but shadows now look much more grainy. So leave that setting on high. 

I ended up just using the auto setting for VR - which is High on all settings. But the auto setting does not cover the TAA sharpness - remember to set that manually!

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Level 16
Some shots  🙂 Today the game is 9/10  B)

w5azblvbc9l6.jpg
hdlgyt43yfu3.jpg
8ocjkhwn9tkw.jpg
6qcel8uj6m5t.jpg
i3usutrhskss.jpg
hnr1xbmv8tl7.jpg
nkgcxvka5jyq.jpg
d7j119gy5w22.jpg
bdqwwpjgt4c5.jpg
5v813l6whab9.jpg
0k6vk8t3w1qo.jpgo5mlyhu3nlmk.jpg

dburne
Level 16
Cool I will increase Temporal AA to 100% also.
Been practicing in the Tie Interceptor against a flight of X-Wings.
It is quite challenging for sure. I want to get completely comfortable before trying the campaign and I am a  ways awar from that I am sure.

And so gorgeous in VR. When I blow an X-Wing up in front of me it is almost blinding lol.
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

RuneSR2
Level 16
https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1312415611545321472

Double_Shot
Level 5

RuneSR2 said:

Some shots  🙂 Today the game is 9/10  B)

w5azblvbc9l6.jpg
hdlgyt43yfu3.jpg
8ocjkhwn9tkw.jpg
6qcel8uj6m5t.jpg
i3usutrhskss.jpg
hnr1xbmv8tl7.jpg
nkgcxvka5jyq.jpg
d7j119gy5w22.jpg
bdqwwpjgt4c5.jpg
5v813l6whab9.jpg
0k6vk8t3w1qo.jpgo5mlyhu3nlmk.jpg

I tell ya, Rune, it looks fantastic but I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed at the "mixed reviews" (read: a lot of negatives) at Steam.   In full disclosure, I haven't kept up with this thread, so maybe it's been answered, but what's your overall take-away?