cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stormland is a dream come true - with the CV1 ss 2.0 - powered by the RTX 3090 - Thanks Oculus!

RuneSR2
Level 16

I'm in such a great mood after finally testing Stormland with the new rig. Maybe it's just me often worrying too much, but I wasn't sure what to expect going from GTX 1080 to RTX 3090 in Stormland. Well, also upgraded the cpu from i7 7700K to i9 10900K, and the system ram from 16GB to 32GB, but I do believe the main difference in Stormland is caused by the gpu upgrade. Also because I could get solid 90 fps with the i7 7700K if I lowered the res a lot. 

I could not enable real time shadows in Stormland with the old rig, because that would force me lower than 45 fps when using CV1 ss 2.0 (that's 2672 x 3184 x 2 = 17 mill pixels per image). I could play the game using 45 fps just fine due to ASW 2.0 - using Ultra settings, but having real time shadows disabled.

Somewhat to my surprise I got solid 90 fps when starting Stormland for the first time today with the RTX 3090. No reprojections at all when doing fast hand movements - the game was as smooth a silk - and this was with Ultra settings and still forcing CV1 ss 2.0. That's about same res as using the HP Reverb G2 res 100% in SteamVR.

Moving around in solid 90 was simply awesome - in Stormland I've been so used to 45 fps ASW 2.0 that I may have forgotten the immersive power of true 90 Hz. Also you move fast when kinda skating on the clouds in Stormland, and for such fast movements solid 90 fps make a lot of difference. 

Finally decided to take a deep breath and enable what I never could before - the totally awesome real time lighting (and shadows) in Stormland. To my amazement there was no performance impact at all - still got solid 90 fps. Trying to challenge the game by shooting a lot of stuff, finding areas with vegetation and high poly counts, but still solid 90 fps 😮

This was totally mind-blowing - seeing a game I've loved for years as beautiful as it can get with the hmd the game was originally made for. 

When I made the upgrade for the new rig, Stormland was one of the games I hoped to improve. And it did more than that - it feels like I can finally experience one of the very best VR games ever made in all it's glory

I really think Oculus deserves a BIG THANK YOU for making such an utterly awesome experiences possible. Even if the hardware requirements are extreme when wanting the optimal experience. Surely Alyx might be better for most users, but Stormland is open world and provides tons of experiences beyond what any other VR game can do. 

lY9SMlabQPjVVkOg0E.jpg

stormland_nix.jpg

Stormland-Launch-Trailer-_-Oculus-Rift-Platform-0-56-screenshot.JPG

Screen_Shot_2018_04_30_at_2.06.02_PM.0.jpg

top-6.jpg

sc5s6e.jpg

JKFcpZwCGThv9cox5h.jpg

       

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

5 REPLIES 5

RuneSR2
Level 16

Btw, Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond seems similar - but that game was so taxing I used ss 1.5 for the GTX 1080. Just tested it shortly, and I got solid 90 fps all the way - all in-game settings on High (which is the highest, there's no "Ultra") - and CV1 ss 1.5. Will try ss 2.0 later, but that crashed my rig with the GTX 1080, maybe due to 8GB vram. 

Also Lone Echo is similar - but cannot constantly get 90 fps with all in-game settings maxed, but I can with 2xMSAA instead of 4xMSAA. Can't see any difference with the CV1 ss 2.0 when using 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA anyway. 

So the difference in Lone Echo:

GTX 1080 = All in-game settings maxed, apart from no MSAA at all. 45 fps ASW. 

RTX 3090 = All in-game settings maxed, but MSAA set to 2xMSAA. Solid 90 fps. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 16

Btw, this thread is not to say you need a high-end gpu to enjoy this game - that's only for feinschmeckers wanting the (near-)perfect experience. Less will be fine too, even if it's 45 fps ASW 2.0 - also fun to read my old review using the GTX 1080, here it is directly from the Oculus Store 😎

Una5463vngivet.jpg

Better fix that typo - natural shadows are the real time shadows. 

Zenbane
Level 16

"this thread is not to say you need a high-end gpu to enjoy this game"

Yep, most long-time gamers know that graphics don't make a good game. Many of us come from the early days of Atari, Sega, and original NES. Those were some of the best gaming experiences in history, and paved the way for the gaming market as it exists today (including VR Gaming).

Stormland is great, I was able to try it early at a VR convention. And yes, what makes it great is certainly not the grahpics.

I have been messing about with SteamVR settings of late in anticipation of the knuckles arriving, and i had not looked at SteamVR that much over the last year as i was still gaming on the Cv1, but i have fallen in love with the Vive,Deluxe strap and that FOV all over again, and i must say steamVr has come on leaps and bounds, i was trying F4VR on it and it runs great, and that game is a real pig at times, but i am loving all the new SteamVr options, BL2VR, SkyrimVR, PavlovVR and ED, also looks and ran great, so i am somewhat impressed with the improvments with SteamVR over that year, and moreso seeing as my i7 and GTX1080 are middle of the road for VR, so colour me impressed.....now if only those bloody knuckles would move towards the UK so i can fire up HL:A, Saints and Sinners, Talos, ASunshine, job sim and BL2VR which i am looking forward to playing on the Vive with controllers with actual thumbstick. ha

Also Stormland works perfectly with Revive - but that game simply needs oled with some SDE. With lcd I either get an extremely blurry image with TAA - or pronounced jaggies with SMAA (even worse with no SMAA of course, lol). And Index was much more demanding. I still think Stormland is best played with the CV1 - or maybe Vive Pro if your gpu is fast enough.