cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stutters when moving head

Anonymous
Not applicable
I managed to play a couple of the training levels last night and I love what I see so far. My only complaint is that the game stutters whenever I move my head around. The framerate is fine if I'm still, but as soon as I move my head it skips all over the place.

Is this an optimization thing affecting the beta for anyone else?
13 REPLIES 13

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
Maybe post your cpu/gpu so others can compare. (like if someone with your same/similar hardware notices no stutter)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This is likely to do with your GPU struggling. Have you changed your pixel density at all?  You might need to dial down the options if there are any in the Beta (not tried it yet so can't comment).  I get the same judder exactly as you describe it in Elite and many other games if the supersampling is set too high.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

HVS_Claire
Heroic Explorer
@misterbeebo You may be misaligned with the sensor. Press the back button if that happens again and let me know

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Or if you have any version of AI suite, delete it and that helped my micro stutters and big stutters disappear.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OpticKing
I'm running: 
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr

I can max out every other VR game I have and get close to maxing out Elite: Dangerous without any stutter at all.

@HVS_Claire I've pressed the back button to reset the view several times, hasn't helped. I've also run my Oculus setup again too to make sure it's aligned properly. The stutter doesn't happen in any other game I have, just the Dragon Front Beta.

Gherron
Protege
Same problem here.  I just downloaded and tried it.  I'll do what any self-respecting IT person advises and reboot.

Here's what I have:
i7-4790

3.6GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX970

16.00 GB RAM

The game seems fun, but I started getting a headache because of the stutter when I move my head.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
Yeah, those specs should be perfectly fine. I wonder if there's any conflicting applications causing the stutter, are either of you running any version of AI suite as techy mentioned? What versions are you guys gpu drivers? The latest ones have been noted to cause stutter, perhaps roll back to an earlier version and check if the stutter persists.

Baxter900
Protege
I'd like to add that I've noticed (very tiny) stutters as well when moving my head. I did not however notice these after the tutorials (though that may be acclimating).

Gherron
Protege
I'm not using any other software nor have I done any tweaking.  (I'm not a big IT guy; I just like tech toys, so I tend to keep things plug-and-play as much as possible.)

I'll see what GPU driver version I have.