cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survival v1.4, a retro style VR arcade game

rubixcube6
Explorer

Survival is a simple yet addictive retro style arcade game based on games like "shark! shark!".

Objective: Eat enemies The same size or smaller than you while avoiding the bigger enemies. As you eat you will grow. Score big to level up! Each level gets a bit faster.

-- Keyboard Controls --
Space: Select
Escape: Back
Mouse: Move

-- Joystick Controls --
A button: Select
B button: Back
Left Analog Stick: Move

The game is random when it comes to what size enemies will appear, and their speed. Every time you play will be different than the last.

There are 4 difficulty levels: Easy, Medium, Hard and Insane. Challenge your friends to beat your high score!

Download here (Windows): Survival.zip (V1.4)

Current High Score:

(drash)
Score: 3170
Difficulty: Easy
9 REPLIES 9

drash
Heroic Explorer
Great fun, especially when things start speeding up! 3170 on easy is my best score.

There is not much to nitpick about as this is a very solid experience already. Really only very minor things I noticed along the way:

1. Mouse cursor isn't hidden and gets in the way sometimes.

2. Up and down arrow keys didn't allow me to select menu items, then discovered that W and S work. Not sure if I just didn't read the instructions elsewhere, but it might be helpful to also allow arrow keys to navigate the menu.

3. The "how to play" screen might be retro-style on purpose, but I found it hard to read with the squished font and too-large letters. Maybe it's just me?

This demo is also interesting as a way to closely analyze the nature of the reflections in the DK2's optics, with the black background and bright cubes passing by. It's kind of a neat effect here.

This one has some serious replay value and will probably keep trying to beat my high score in this one. Thank you! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

rubixcube6
Explorer
Nice! so you made it to around level 3 to 5?

Thanks for the feedback! All of those are good points. Hiding the cursor, and adding arrow keys support will be quick fixes. I think I'm going to expand on the How To Play screen by making the squares into cubes, making the text bigger & less squished, and adding more to it like controls and brief descriptions of the screen elements. I love the fact I'm not constrained to a rectangle anymore with VR!

This game is actually the first game I ever made, with Lots of tune-ups for VR Comfort. I finished it and released it to an android based console called the OUYA around May 2013. It was 2D and the game-play is the same. (link) Its also on on the Google Play store with tilt controls.

rubixcube6
Explorer
All fixed!

- No more annoying cursor
- Arrow keys work now
- The How To Play screen has been improved

Download here (Windows): Survival.zip (V1.3)

rubixcube6
Explorer
Updated to SDK v0.4.2

Gigantoad
Adventurer
That's pretty cool! Goes to show what actual gameplay can do, even simplistic like this. What with all the demos out there that are pretty but devoid of gameplay.

Have you tried attaching the cube to the camera instead of the mouse? Kinda like Proton Pulse or Bouncer VR. Would be a nice experiment.

rubixcube6
Explorer
Thanks! I thought about making the head movement control the player, but I found that my neck begins to get tired. This works great in games like Proton Pulse because you rarely have to turn your head really fast.

In Survival, once you get up to about level 7 or so, you have to be super quick and almost constantly dodge the enemies (and that's on easy mode). lol I tried to retain the feel and difficulty of the arcade classics for a bit of challenge.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Yeah, I can see how it would do more harm than good.

rubixcube6
Explorer
Survival v1.3 Update

- Positional tracking has been fixed
- Added a start scene with logo that takes care of re-centering
- Fixed "How To Play" scene's scale.
- Fixed the "Game Over" screen's text so that it is in front of enemies passing by (previously was behind the enemies and was rendering in front)

rubixcube6
Explorer
Survival v1.4 Update

- The eating sound has been replaced with a more subtle sound effect.
- Each enemy makes a different sound when eaten (not as repetitive)

Download here (Windows): Survival.zip (V1.4)