cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AAA game Hitman 3 Year 2 has launched with VR support! Reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Level 15

Unavngivet1.JPG

It's now official from the makers of Hitman 3 Year 2 - the game is arriving in VR in January 2022 - this is awesome news indeed!

The game is made by Io Interactive - I guess they saw that Alyx sold more than 2 million copies and got an idea - PCVR enthusiasts may be a tough crowd, but maybe not if you got totally awesome content, we'll see. 

And which HMDs did IO Interactive use for this game 🤔 ... let's see... 😎

Unavngivet2.JPG

Unavngivet3.JPG

Unavngivet4.JPG

- and this does look like a Rift-S, I guess Hitman does not wear white 😎

Unavngivet5.JPG

More info here:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-year-2/

Quote: 

"HITMAN 3 launched with support for PS VR and we’re happy to bring HITMAN VR to PC in January 2022. Full technical details, including the platforms that we’re supporting will be revealed before Year 2 starts on 20 January 2022."

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

38 REPLIES 38

RuneSR2
Level 15

Fun thing, some dudes agreed that Hitman 3 VR uses similar auto-res like Alyx, but if they had spent a few moments investigating they could easily have seen how incredibly wrong they were. Hitman 3 VR does not auto-scale res like Alyx, Hitman 3 VR fully reacts to the SteamVR res setting. 

The RTX 3090 shows incredible strength in this game, and I actually get solid 90 fps also using res 500%. That's about 45 mill pixels per frame (both eyes combined - or nearly 50% higher than 8k res). 

Let's show off what super sampling is all about - seems there's a lot of mumbo jumbo going around concerning the importance of super sampling - and how much of a difference it really makes. 

Click to enlarge and see the full image size - also do not use a phone to view the images, but a pc monitor

Index res 100%

res100-6.JPG

Index res 500%

res500-344.JPG

Index res 100%

res100-2.JPG

Index res 500%

res500 345.JPG

Try to compare her legs and feet...

The difference in clarity is gigantic - and hard to show here, because the res 500% loses a lot of details when reducing these very big images to 1024 pixel width (25% of their original sizes), while the res 100% aren't that far from the original res. I hope the differences in image clarity shine though nonetheless. 

Index res 100%

Res100-5.JPG

Note the golden pattern in the background on the white stone/tile - and compare with the image below:

Index res 500%

res500-7.JPG

20220123010135_1.JPG

Some more res 500% images: 

20220123004627_1.JPG

20220123004445_1.JPG

20220123004525_1.JPG

20220123004532_1.JPG

20220123005055_1.JPG

20220123005115_1.JPG

With res 500% you can nearly read the dials from the outside, lol

20220123005154_1.JPG

Plant leaves look razer-sharp

456456t.JPG

Like Olivia in Lone Echo 2, you can see the tiny arteries in her eyes - awesome

20220123010435_1.JPG

Never thought I'd be able to play Hitman 3 VR in solid 90 fps res 500% - but it works - at it looks jaw-droppingly amazing!

20220123004647_1.JPG

This lady got mad at me for getting too close 🙂 

- and here more than 100 persons are gathered in solid 90 fps thanks to my dear 10-core/20-threads cpu:

20220122222344_1.JPG

Last face - at least for today 😉

20220123010805_1.JPG

Of course this game is 5/5 - I've completed the first missions, and the controls are starting to make sense - and I play both seated or standing up. Works great, just don't turn your body in the real world. 

Maybe I should have bought the full $100 package of Hitman 1-3, buying Hitman 1 and 2 later they cost $30 each making my total price $120, well who cares about that 🙂

I'm starting to be fully convinced that IO Interactive did their very best trying to make the most awesome VR experience - and probably are clueless right now why everyone doesn't love Hitman 3 VR. Then again, some of us are using extremely fast gpus, and the game we're experiencing may be much different from users with slower gpus. Like some of the ladies do look attractive using res 500%, but certainly not in super-blurry res 100%, so res greatly affects how you (=your brain) react emotionally to npcs etc. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 15

After a while, I really don't notice shortcomings in Hitman 3 VR - and had an awesome time in Dubai. Still learning the curves 🙂 

The architecture is really impressive:

20220124230704_1.JPG

20220124231152_1.JPG

The game is very open - even if the locations are limited in size (but still quite a big size) - meaning you can complete missions in many ways and have freedom to do so.

You can also start new levels when you want, thus you can start on level 2 before finishing level 1 etc. This is level (or chapter) 2 in Hitman 3 VR - welcome to England:

20220124232248_1.JPG

20220124232234_1.jpg

- or maybe more fun going straight to Bangkok 🤔

20220124231736_1.JPG

20220124232029_1.JPG

20220124231618_1.JPG

20220124231557_1.JPG

This is the game I'm playing right now - at least until Wanderer arrives in 3 days 🤓  

RuneSR2
Level 15

Io Interactive is sad about the Steam launch - so now they'll upgrade my standard version of Hitman 3 ($60) to the Deluxe version ($90) - for free:

"Our HITMAN 3 launch on Steam didn’t go as planned. We were excited to bring HITMAN 3 to Steam with new content and we knew that anticipation and excitement levels amongst our Steam players was high, especially as the game had been an Epic exclusive for a year.

Ultimately, we didn’t meet our own expectations of a launch experience and we don’t like that our Steam community is beginning their HITMAN 3 journey in this way.

So, here’s what we’re going to do: Everyone on Steam who has already bought HITMAN 3, or anyone that buys the game through to February 19th 2022, will be granted a free upgrade.

-> All HITMAN 3 Standard Edition owners will get a free upgrade to the HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition.

-> All HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition or HITMAN Trilogy owners will get a free upgrade to the Seven Deadly Sins Collection.

Starting on January 27th 2022, this process will begin to automatically roll out via Steam entitlements. Simply launch your Steam copy of HITMAN 3 and the new content from your free upgrade will be waiting for you to enjoy."

RuneSR2_0-1643379693640.jpeg

Source: https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1486718804633665539

I guess that's nice, even if I don't care much for the free Deluxe stuff. Right now I just love walking and enjoying the nature in England 😄

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

When you get back to Hitman 3 VR after playing other VR games, the most striking difference is the extreme amount of npcs in Hitman 3 VR - the world feels much more alive compared to nearly all other VR experience. 

RuneSR2
Level 15

Yesterday I got my free upgrade from the Hitman 3 Standard to the Deluxe version - a price difference of $30, so at least IO Interactive kept their word. 

Did play some more Hitman 3 VR last night, and it's still growing on me - today I'd rate the game at least 9/10, and that's after playing for about 6 hours. Even without the best VR controls, you can do the most amazing things in these games, you have full AAA content available, and it shows. 

Also Hitman 3 feels more than a platform than just a game - inside the game, you can open up for Hitman 1 and 2, and there's a rather large Hitman Store with tons of DLC. 

You will need an extremely fast gpu for the game - and an extremely fast cpu. Here's another dude's take on the game, but he's also using a RTX 3090:

"Obviously Hitman VR wasn't the definitive experience many of us were hoping for, but I ultimately decided to buy it anyway as a long-time Hitman nut. I'm having an absolute blast, but I would only recommend it to a select group of people. For those that are still curious about trying the game, here is what to expect:

1. Need Strong Hardware. Out of the box, the graphics are extremely blurry, but you can fix it if you have decent enough hardware. The key ones seem to be - a) the single VR graphical setting, which must be set to "Best" before you go into VR, b) the game's resolution scaler (change from 1x to 2x), and c) SteamVR resolution, which I cranked up to 500% in this game with minimal performance impact (although I haven't tried going above 80Hz yet). I'm using a 3090, so your experience may vary. I've also seen that it may help to not start Steam VR until after you're already in the game.

2. This should not be your first Hitman experience. Ultimately, the Hitman trilogy plays very much like a point and click adventure game, where you walk slowly through the environment and interact with items to solve a puzzle. In Hitman VR, you're essentially playing the 2D game... walking slowly through the environment and using a single button prompt to make something happen, jump over an obstacle, or pick up items. If you're familiar with the 2D hitman experience, it's much easier to get used to the controls in Hitman VR. BONUS: You can play Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 levels in Hitman 3 if you go through a process to move them over, so if you can pick them up together in a humble bundle for cheap - go for it.

3. The controls take a lot of getting used to. The controls are not industry standard. You essentially need to play this as a stationary seated experience, do not turn on movement relative to the headset, and just move as though you were playing the 2D game. Even with those limitations, running will still be finicky (click in the left stick to recenter in order to fix it temporarily - orientation of the right controller may have an affect). It is essential to play the VR tutorial. When navigating the menus, note that there are slightly different icons for "A and B" on your left control versus your right. "Grip" is also used a lot in menu navigation. Throwing is odd, in that it requires you to aim with your left and throw with your right - but it works very well with some practice. Soft clicking a pistol or SMG pistol will activate a laser sight to allow for a precise kill. "B" on your left hand will open your inventory, where you grab your item with the right "grab."

4. You often need to save-scum for things to come out right, even in the 2D game. Click the left trackpad to open the menu and manually save. You can also turn on auto saves (by default it is disabled for VR for some reason).

5. If you go in expecting a seated experience with 2D interactions and are willing to live with the caveats mentioned above, the game is a blast. It's a massive amount of beautiful locations for you explore and interact with. It could absolutely be better, given what individual programmers are able to do in their spare time for free with other 2D games, but I'm choosing to have fun with what exists."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/sg682z/thoughts_on_hitman_vr/

RuneSR2
Level 15

Just a fun picture - but not without some truth to it, sadly:

bmcqofx8h5z61.png

This may be another reason to appreciate that we've got Hitman 3 in VR - not many stealth games are left, and Hitman 3 VR is top of the line, even with cumbersome controls. 

RuneSR2
Level 15

Of course nice to see about 1,300 views of this current thread - but also more than 34 replies have been added to this thread over time, so 1,300 views may indicate that very few have read this thread. That's compared to the exposure on Index Subreddit - in a few days close to 30,000 views:

Unavngivet.jpg

My Wanderer post in the same subreddit got 70,000 views in a few days - and about 1,800 in here after several months. 

Seems like we're very few in here still discussing new highest-end VR content, most new threads seem to be from users seeking support for their own specific problems. Not sure that's easy to change - but personally I'd love if we can attract more users in here focusing on sharing great experiences and content instead of seeking support - Reddit is very anonymous.  

Btw, also posted the above in another Subreddit, so my Hitman 3 VR posts have now gotten more than 50,000 views - maybe I should bill IO Interactive for helping to promote their game, lol 🙂

Vindassius
Level 3

Fingers crossed i can get my motion sickness sorted before this releases 🙂

The game has been released - it launched January 20 2022, so some weeks ago. This is a seated game, might work against nausea - or remember to take breaks every 15 minutes for a start - and gradually increase expose. 

I'm more or less immune to motion sickness in VR, so I can't judge if this game is better or worse for motion sickness than other VR games. 

RuneSR2
Level 15

Hitman 3 VR is now 55% off on Steam - so about $25 instead of $60. And get the entire trilogy for $45 instead of $100. 

Hitman 3 VR: https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1829594/

Hitman Trilogy VR: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/672746/

I greatly enjoyed the game last night - actually I just love being present in the amazing world - didn't really play anything - but enjoyed life 😎

thumbnail (9).jpg

Also I went to the beach:

thumbnail (8).jpg

- and checked out some ... fish: 

thumbnail (4).jpg

Met some women 🤗

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

Did some yoga 😇

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

- also there are some really great parties - Hitman 3 VR is king of high-poly npcs:

thumbnail (3).jpg

The game must be played seated - and if you use the controls like the devs intended, Hitman 3 VR delivers a full-blooded AAA VR experience. 

All the above screenshots were taken while I played the game yesterday - I really don't think you'll get much better graphics - nor story content - in other VR games.