cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Room VR: A Dark Matter - has gotten amazing ratings - available in the Oculus Store and Steam

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/iySB6jnYwYE

A bit strange, but the game isn't listed in the Oculus Store when I check for "New Releases" - causing me to overlook the game for some days:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1489565597808736/

Instead I have to manually search for the Rift version to find it:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2009355295817444/

The error may be caused by the Rift version lacking a release date (March 26). It's a crossbuy for Rift and Quest, and the Quest version is correctly listed under "New Releases" and has the correct release date.

Now, I do not buy low-poly no-real-textures Quest games, but this does look like real PCVR to me  ❤️

qiyerr2k8wxm.jpg
p1ks0ooj778t.jpg
u222lahxy4bv.jpg
mxfl9s3x55o3.jpg
awuh8s4ebnde.jpg
nyg9ir9sr70k.jpg
rssyy4l7pq9a.jpg

Also GTX 1060 or better as recommended gpu indicates that this is a true PCVR game too. Ratings are extremely high in the Oculus Store, namely 98 % 😮 - based on about 150 reviews. 

Steam is similar - close to 400 ratings and 95 % are positive:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104380/The_Room_VR_A_Dark_Matter/ 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

23 REPLIES 23

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Also truly awesome  ❤️

cljpwhm27pjd.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'm about an hour in. It's definitely pretty cool, I'm enjoying it.
It would have been nice to have free movement, but I guess the node based teleport means you don't get distracted by things in the rooms that aren't parts of the puzzles.
The snap turning has too small of an angle, it takes too many clicks to turn around.

It's creepy with a cosmic horror theme, but not a horror game (at least so far).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary
Sounds cool, I'll have to pick this up. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

It would have been nice to have free movement, but I guess the node based teleport means you don't get distracted by things in the rooms that aren't parts of the puzzles.
The snap turning has too small of an angle, it takes too many clicks to turn around.

It's creepy with a cosmic horror theme, but not a horror game (at least so far).

Official (pro) reviews aren't that good, about 4/5, but user ratings are extremely high - do you think it's because there are many fans of earlier Room games, or is the game quality really sky-high? The trailer doesn't look that exciting, but fairly interesting ... 

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

Official (pro) reviews aren't that good, about 4/5, but user ratings are extremely high - do you think it's because there are many fans of earlier Room games, or is the game quality really sky-high? The trailer doesn't look that exciting, but fairly interesting ... 

I wouldn’t consider 4/5 “not that good”, but more like pretty darn solid.

It’s graphically very impressive, and the mechanics/physically of the puzzles from the original games translate really well into VR. One puzzle in particular seemed really obtuse, and I needed to use the in-game hint system, but it is a really well implemented hint system, similar to previous games. 

I’m a big fan of escape room style games, and I think puzzle fans, even those that aren’t familiar with the franchise, will enjoy it. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
If we only count games with at least 40 ratings, then Room VR: A Dark Matter is now the highest rated game in the Oculus Store 😮 -  not even Lone Echo or Moss can top that - and not even Beat Saber. The game does look good - some in-game shots:

s7142bfr1sv5.jpg
ey0jhekvvsft.jpg
8nsoc51cbo5r.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Today the game still has an average rating of 98% in the Oculus Store - based on 120 ratings. Not sure Alyx would be able to top that if that game was available in the Oculus Store, lol.

I wonder if these awesome ratings are all made of fans of earlier pancake Room games - or if the game really is that good. I'll check myself after Alyx  o:)

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Looks great. I have a backlog. I need to play that Dr. Who game first. I still haven't played Borderlands. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

Looks great. I have a backlog. I need to play that Dr. Who game first. I still haven't played Borderlands. 

Same here, but Dr. Who felt slighly boring to me (works perfectly with Revive btw), and I'm still waiting for the 4K texture res support in Borderlands 2 VR (high-res textures work in the pancake version, but not in the VR version, very annoying). 
Might give Room a try after Alyx, need to see that 98% rating with my own eyes.