cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Talos Principle VR - the very best (or close) VR puzzle game?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

One of my favorite games just arrived in the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1962004113896614

I already bought the game on Steam, so I haven't tried the new Oculus version. 

The game has gotten several amazing reviews, some examples:

2e913s3803mn.jpg

Some shots from the VR version:

ss_febd695bf452d610f7cc1d3bf2e3e224356d4a88.1920x1080.jpg

ss_112cb99cfeb947025a8b233ff69880334cefda78.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8fa626bc978994a8568c04d80845dcf428b4c414.1920x1080.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

21 REPLIES 21

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yes, I've been waiting for this one!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Yes, I've been waiting for this one!

I just checked, and I paid about $20 for the similar Steam package Dec 13 2017, so unless the Rift version really shines compared to the Steam version, $40 in the Oculus Store does seem kinda expensive (then again, the Steam price is back to $40 right now). The Steam version performs great on my system, it's hard to imagine that the Rift version can perform much better - it's a highly polished game. 

My backlog is still way too long - but maybe it's worth a try contacting support and asking for a free Oculus version for users already owning the Steam version: support@croteam.com

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Talos Principle VR has native Rift support - and is on sale for just $ 5.99 on Steam the next 48 hours  :open_mouth:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552440/The_Talos_Principle_VR/

Personally I think it's strange with 85 % off on Steam while the Oculus version still is priced at $40. So $6 or $40 for a truly awesome VR experience - that's a tough choice, right?  😉

BTW, the Steam version runs great, but be aware that the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) super sampling (ss) value will be multiplied with the in-game super sampling value - I guess that's because of the native Rift support (normally OTT ss doesn't affect Steam games). 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Dang! Hopefully this will go on Sale on OH soon. I don't mind Steam so much, but SteamVR gives me ulcers.

Digikid1
Consultant
If it goes on sale on Oculus then I will buy it......but not before that. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

If it goes on sale on Oculus then I will buy it......but not before that. 

Why is that?  I haven’t really seen much diffs between most Steam and Oculus games.  In fact I find Google Earth VR Steam version works better for me.  For some reason the Oculus Store version does not always start up with the touch controllers showing.  Don't know why?  Also I think that the SS with the SteamVR settings work better than Oculus with OTT or ODT.  Again, not sure why? 

However if price is ~ the same I generally buy from the Oculus store.

Right now for ~90% lower price this is a no-brainer imho and I just bought it!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

w_benjamin
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

Dang! Hopefully this will go on Sale on OH soon. I don't mind Steam so much, but SteamVR gives me ulcers.

I have The Talos Principle on Steam and I don't run SteamVR(for any games actually)
With the proper launch setting it runs on the Rift natively.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Purchased this from Steam. Oculus needs to keep an eye on pricing if they want to compete with other sellers..

@RuneSR2 - Thanks for the heads up, it's great when people let use know when they spot a bargain..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus already uses price cuts with the Rift itself at $350 compared to $500-$1000 for its competitors. Steam is simply using the one trick it has in its toolshed, prices on its digital store. Go spend $1000 on the Vive Pro and see if that $6 for this game makes your wallet feel better
😛

The Oculus Store always ends up putting titles on sale. We should know that by now after 2+ years. It would be foolish for Oculus to monitor Steam prices and follow their lead.

I'm sure Oculus does keep an eye on pricing in order to compete, which is why Oculus is doing so well in both the commercial and consumer market. What Oculus should not do, however, is let the competition dictate Oculus' roadmap for success. You don't become a Leader by being a Follower. Suggesting that Steam should lead and Oculus should follow when it comes to Software Pricing is silly.