cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The (Unauthorized) Charlie Hebdo Gallery

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Trigger Warning! This post contains Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, which may be offensive to some viewers.

CharlieHebdoGallery 700x394 no title.png

Download The Charlie Hebdo Gallery

Here is my first ever attempt at a Unity 3D application... It is a VR tribute to Charlie Hebdo that allows you to enter their world, and showcases some of the work of the courageous cartoonists who were recently murdered by Muslim terrorists. I felt we owed them something. I call it The Charlie Hebdo Gallery.
The rooms on the left are people who are still alive (although the first one was injured), and the rooms on the right are those who are no longer with us. The artists' photos are on the wall next to the door.
This is completely unofficial and unauthorized. The images are mostly taken from their Facebook page and are considered fair use. It is just a small subset of their work, mostly focused on the controversial ones, to give you an idea what it is all about. But remember that Charlie Hebdo satirise everything, not just Islam. Also included are the Danish cartoons that Charlie Hebdo honourably reprinted a few years ago when all mainstream journalists disgraced themselves (and that disgraceful behaviour is what allowed the recent massacre to happen).
I've made all the images life-size and at (my) eye-height, so I recommend playing standing up, and make sure you use R to recenter. Razer Hydra is supported and recommended, although you can't pick up or interact with anything. Hold your hands in front of you at about lap height and press Start on the right hydra to calibrate the Hydras. You can walk around with the Razer Hydra analog sticks, Xbox controller, or WASD (Q and E for comfort mode turning).
I made the whole environment in the style of Charlie Hebdo. I also designed it to run at a constant 75 FPS on low-end machines, so try this out if you can't get any of the other demos to run acceptably on your laptop. Let me know if you can't get this running smoothly without judder. Also let me know if you have any other issues. But it's my first attempt, and I only had a few days (while working on Dolphin VR), so don't be too hard on me. 🙂
I didn't have time to add translations yet, so pardon my French.
Known issue: There is no deadzone on the hydra sticks yet, so you may rarely get some uncomfortable turning when you don't expect to.
See http://www.charliehebdo.fr/ for more, and subscribe to their newspaper.
Enjoy!

CharlieHebdoGallery Charb Cabu.png
23 REPLIES 23

drash
Heroic Explorer
Thanks. Hadn't seen their works or their faces before, but now all of that is burned into my retina.

Also, not bad for your first Unity app -- I see you even have a working clock. 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"drash" wrote:
Thanks. Hadn't seen their works or their faces before, but now all of that is burned into my retina.

Also, not bad for your first Unity app -- I see you even have a working clock. 🙂

Two working clocks, you are wearing a watch. Thank you.

mmmalas
Honored Guest
and yet if they posted images glorifying the Nazis, or making fun of the holocaust, that is not freedom of speech.

makes you think!

acarrilho
Explorer
"mmmalas" wrote:
and yet if they posted images glorifying the Nazis, or making fun of the holocaust, that is not freedom of speech.

makes you think!

Here in Portugal, I have complete legal freedom to glorify nazis or make fun of the holocaust. I'm fairly confident the French enjoy the same freedom. Freedom of speech can't be constricted by anyone's personal sensitivities, but this is something some people simply fail to grasp...
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"mmmalas" wrote:

makes you think!

France doesn't actually have freedom of speech, so I don't know to what extent they could get away with such things. Charlie Hebdo do post cartoons like this though:
http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/reinaldo/files/2015/01/Charlie-antijudeu-1.jpg
http://p9.storage.canalblog.com/90/57/177230/70140371.jpg
http://www.egaliteetreconciliation.fr/IMG/jpg/CharlieHebdo_le_tournage_holocauste.jpg

But there are obvious public safety issues that trump free speech. For example, a significant proportion of France's large Muslim population would see nothing wrong with violently attacking Jews in France (not just over Israel, there is a lot of Jew-hatred in the Qur'an and the Hadith). So it needs to be illegal to encourage them to do so. But at the same time, French people should be able to satirise or criticise Jews and Nazis whenever it will not incite extra-judicial violence.

Falan
Honored Guest
I posted a similar response in Reddit, would a gallery of 9/11 or holocaust cartoons be just as 'acceptable' as freedom of speech? I highly doubt it. Muslims are our enemy I keep having to remind myself that every time I remember the amazing hospitality and kindness of the ones I have lived around.

Look no one cares if you mock Islam, ok it might irritate a few more conservative followers, much like mocking Christianity irritates me a bit. However they can do that without drawing a picture of their prophet - which in itself causes great upset as it is not permitted by many Muslims, even if its not a mocking illustration.

That magazine kicked the nest of some very dangerous individuals who just happen to fall under the ambiguous umbrella of Islam, you would have got a similar murderous response from the IRA in the 80's if you openly mocked something they held dear.

Mock away but why go out of your way to take the extra un-needed step of insulting a whole minority group by drawing something that is against their belief, it's just unnecessary and insight racial hatred for no good reason at all apart from sell extra copies of a failing magazine.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Wow. That is a really stupid post. Would you like to rethink that a bit and edit out some of the obvious nonsense before I answer it?

cerebral
Honored Guest
12 new victims have been sacrified for western propaganda.
Led by the enemy millions go out on the street to demonstrate and stand tight against the new enemy that sometimes
can be a whole country(Iraq). We aren't always that particulary selective. Opinion is a very flexible thing.
I don't want to be the smart-ass, but is terrible what is happening right now and how people will react in future.
My regrets to all honest people out there that have honest peaceful ambitions and are open hearted and minded.
Let evil and lies never contaminate your spirit.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Guys, just keep in mind that political debate is not allowed on the forum. Everyone has their own views and options, and it's doubtful anyone is changing their minds. I don't want to lock this topic, but please try to keep in civil. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV