cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR is... not very good.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
I owned the regular game for I while in my Steam library, but I only played few hours because I was patiently waiting for the VR version. Yesterday I purchased the VR DLC on Steam for $10 (and I wasn't very happy about having to give them more money just for the VR support, but ok, whatever), the problem is that the game in VR is probably one of the most nausea-inducing game I've ever played (and last year I forced myself through play session of Half-Life 2 and Alien Isolation, also very nauseating). The game runs very smoothly on my machine (i7, GTX980) but I can't play it for more than 10 minutes without starting to feeling dizzy and uncomfortable. We all know that FPS games are very hard to get right in VR, but they didn't make any effort in trying to make a better navigation system. Every time you rotate the view with the right stick, is like a punch in the guts. I had to close my eyes every time I wanted to change direction, and that's really not what a game should do to you. I know there is a "comfort" play mode, but that basically turns the game into a slideshow of 360° images, without the possibility to move around freely.
I'm really disappointed, I had great expectations for the VR version of this game, but it seems I won't be able to play it. So if you plan to buy this game and play it in VR be prepared to feel sick, unless you have a very strong stomach.
120 REPLIES 120

EthanCommunity
Explorer

Oasistime said:

Now come on Adrian "created from the ground up" is hardly the case. UE4 has built in VR support. You tick a checkbox. I'm sure the team tweaked a few things but I played the leaked VR version and it looked almost identical. Bit of a nerve charging extra for it IMO.

We really wish it was that simple. 🙂

Vasagorst said:

Hi All,

For me the game is beautifull in Vr (ensure To change résolution scale To 100% or more) and fluid.

The gameplay is ok with no Motion sickness (for me) but yes not as it was natively developp for vr.

Adrian,

One issue that has To be solved is the subtitles which are REALLY to close to your eyes as they're just unreadable

So at the moment like i can't Play the game 😞

Thanks for quickly update

Thanks for your kind words, Vasagorst! We will do our best to fix the problem with the subtitles.

Best wishes
Adrian Palma
Support Manager
The Astronauts

Huxley133
Protege
I've just tried this in VR (CV1) and it is wonderfull. The world is just beautiful. I just paid 28 Euros for it in the bundle on steam and its worth every penny! The graphics are insane and it is not juddering, not even a bit?!? 🙂  (I also put the resolution on 100%)

You guys did an awesome job with the VR Version of the game! 

If you move slowly than it is totally fine regarding comfort. 

I really hope that devs don't stop working on such titles only because a few people get motion sick... Then I'm pretty sure Virtual Reality would fail.... 😞 It's so sad that there is so much concern about motion sickness that we only have teleportation games left. Everyone i know that has used Virtual Reality for a long time has no problems walking in these games. Of course at the beginning it felt weird, but you get used to it pretty fast as long as it is not sprinting at 20 kmh. 🙂

Exploring worlds with a gamepad is one of the best things for me. 

Good Job guys and i really hope you continue developing games for VR! 🙂

EthanCommunity
Explorer

I've just tried this in VR (CV1) and it is wonderfull. The world is just beautiful. I just paid 28 Euros for it in the bundle on steam and its worth every penny! The graphics are insane and it is not juddering, not even a bit?!? 🙂  (I also put the resolution on 100%)

You guys did an awesome job with the VR Version of the game! 

If you move slowly than it is totally fine regarding comfort. 

I really hope that devs don't stop working on such titles only because a few people get motion sick... Then I'm pretty sure Virtual Reality would fail.... 😞 It's so sad that there is so much concern about motion sickness that we only have teleportation games left. Everyone i know that has used Virtual Reality for a long time has no problems walking in these games. Of course at the beginning it felt weird, but you get used to it pretty fast as long as it is not sprinting at 20 kmh. 🙂

Exploring worlds with a gamepad is one of the best things for me. 

Good Job guys and i really hope you continue developing games for VR! 🙂

Thank you halfshay477, that means a lot to us! 🙂

Best wishes
Adrian Palma
Support Manager
The Astronauts

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer

I played Alien Isolation with this method for hours on end without a hint of sickness but play with a controller then nausea soon set in.

Interesting, my experience has been exactly the other way round.
I really preferred playing AI with the controller while using the rift.

Luciferous
Consultant

How many people here play non VR FPS games with Xbox controllers? They are nowhere near as accurate as a mouse for looking around? I am not really a fan of consoles and never have been.

Liberte
Explorer

Oasistime said:

Now come on Adrian "created from the ground up" is hardly the case. UE4 has built in VR support. You tick a checkbox. I'm sure the team tweaked a few things but I played the leaked VR version and it looked almost identical. Bit of a nerve charging extra for it IMO.

This.
Sorry Adrian, I'm a GameDev myself, but if you really did put so much effort in the VR version you totally failed to deliver it in this release. Anyway, I've got my refound, so I'm out.

If you cant stand fps mode you should try the comfort one... your words looks very overreacted...

Im also a developer so it is also very strange to me how the hell a person developing for VR can still feel even a glimpse of nausea...? after that many hours in VR I can stand everything from 20 FPS to absolutely no gravity and very fast movement... and I cannot even read in a bus or something because of locomotion sickness.

Adrian great work! astonish implementation especially as it is for Unreal Engine! Im shocked how well game is optimised for VR with so many objects, dynamic materials and light sources... I would pay a lot to see what you did to achieve this... (How many LOD levels did you used??) ... for sure that was a lot of work and only half a year? NICE1 !

Pozdrowienia 🙂 

Oasistime
Explorer
Oculus forum can bury my post all it wants, perhaps the devs would like to explain how they started with a blank UE4 project and created the VR version from the ground up and still ended up with the basic UE4 version plus some text that makes the player cross-eyed. I'm all for supporting devs but I'm all for calling out BS too. Lucky's Tale for example was built from the ground up for VR. This game wasn't.

Percy1983
Superstar
I don't believe this game was built for VR, just a lot of work has been put in to the VR conversion.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

CarpetFace
Expert Protege
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is my favorite launch title.  I agree with ten10's post above, especially about turning your head in the same direction when you are turning you character; it eliminates the motion sickness feeling for me.  I do have a DK2 that I've used a lot so I've gotten my "VR legs", so it may just be something you will acclimate to over time.

EthanCommunity
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Is there someone who has problems with subtitles displayed incorrectly or motion sickness or any other issues at all who uses the consumer version of Oculus Rift rather than the development kit?

Adrian Palma
Support Manager
The Astronauts