cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE4 Rollercoaster [v1.0 Now with real physics!]

Teddy0k
Explorer
Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v1.0;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4s08nfl9pct339/UE4Rollercoaster_v1_0.zip

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I've been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it'd be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it's pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here's a full playthrough video;

Thanks!

Update v1.0
-Updated to Unreal Engine v4.4.1
-Added fixed timestep simulation to physics to ensure rollercoaster behaves the same at any frame rate
-Added an option to lock the camera's pitch to the track (press c)
-Some more optimizations

Update v0.4
-Added semi-realistic rollercoaster physics, is now a proper gravity coaster
-Adjusted the track to work with real physics
-Changed keypress to Enter key or Gamepad A
-Fixed a bug with the launcher PixelsPerDisplay setting

Update v0.3
-Updated to Unreal 4.3 with Oculus SDK 0.4.1
-Added position tracking support, fixed scaling issues
-Supports Direct Mode rendering, with the output mirrored to the monitor
-Added a front end launcher with graphics settings to help get good performance (I will release this as a standalone plugin soon)
-Optimized the post process code in UE4 for VR
-Added a frame counter to the bottom of the screen if performance is bad

Update v0.2
-Improved spline physics so the rollercoaster is much smoother around corners
-Added a jump over the lamp
-Added a sideways corkscrew at the end
-Added some new sounds
-Ported code to a UnrealEngine plugin to make it easy to share the tools (more on that later)

Editor
I've ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Download the plugin (supports UnrealEngine 4.6.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Source code is up here;
https://github.com/Teddy0/RollercoasterPlugin

Here's a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;

432 REPLIES 432

raahilK
Explorer
@Tannhaeuser Doesnt it work the same way as the DK2 worked?

raahilK
Explorer
GUIDE FOR 3D 360 EXPORT FINALLY - FOR GEAR VR
So, i've been mucking around with this for a while now. Finally got it to work with this plugin.

Quickly, we put a capture sphere, that captures a 360 video (one each from 4 locations), and transmits them to a texture that we put on a plane. We then use the existing camera in the RC plugin to look at this plane and place it somewhere where our capture sphere cant see it - behind the chair. Then once we have our 4 renders, we would need to use after effects (or similar) to - first, merge the renders together, then, set the rotational movements on the 360 videos, and finally export a 3d 360 video.

Heres how (For other interested parties):
  1. In the source code, for change the two attached files as per how they have been edited (Basically comment out anything that refers to a camera).
  2. Download PanoCamo2. This needs to be copied to your Contents folder only.
  3. In the RCPawn blueprint, add the BP_PanoCapture_SBS. This needs to be snapped to the existing camera (and parented) in the blueprint. Also, you need to change the location of  the existing camera group such that it is behind your chair. Our capture sphere (which we will add later) will not be able to see the back face of the plane.
  4. Target only one material from the PanoCam Folder (i used T_right in conjunction with cubeRenderTargetMat_L). The reason i have not used the existing 360 is because unreal was crashing for me. We're going to render. When you open he material, it will have 4 textures combined into one emissive channel. You need to use the same flow (duplicate the first top UVCords, custom and texture nodes) and plug only that into the emissive channel. The objective is to get only one 360 grab as the seams will kill the experience otherwise. You will also need to open all the textures in the PanoCam folder and turn HDR off.
  5. Import the capture sphere into the scene, and place it into a group/empty actor.
  6. In level blueprint, get the position and rotation of the camera (via the RCplayerController) and apply the same to the empty actor at Event Tick.
  7. All done! Now all you need to do, is change the capturing side via the BP_CaptureSphere blueprint, keep assigning T_Right as the texture and render it from all 4 locations. Another important thing within this blueprint is that there will be 4 capture actors. Only be one must be visible/activated at a time, otherwise unreal will crash.
  8. You now have 4 renders!
  9. Compile in After Effects!

Tannhaeuser
Honored Guest

raahilK said:

As the CV1 is my first Rift experience I don't know how apps from external sources are handled. Most of the "tutorials" about that topic are based on older software versions and simply not up-to-date.

ravida
Honored Guest

raahilK said:

As the CV1 is my first Rift experience I don't know how apps from external sources are handled. Most of the "tutorials" about that topic are based on older software versions and simply not up-to-date.

I can't figure it out either

Nyah
Honored Guest
@ all the CV1 users questions... the only way is to uninstall your actual oculus drivers and install an old outdated driver from the DK2 time... I don't have my CV1 here, don't know if it realy run with the old driver.
In short words all these versions are running only on the old developer environement, and we are fighting to update our code to the latest CV1 version.

Dexi
Honored Guest
I really enjoyed the realtime 3D modeling even though I don't have my Rift yet. I know as soon as I get this in Rift it will be even greater'

Nyah
Honored Guest
i'm trying to compile the source for 4.11.
installed vs 2015 and allways ending here

Unrecognized type 'ULandscapeSplineControlPoint' - type must be a UCLASS, USTRUCT or UENUM

Can somebody help me out here ?
Was anybody successfull with compiling the code in VS2015 ?

Nyah
Honored Guest
Tedlz mentioned in his Package readme file about his hack with the lanscape splines. And that the UE4 guys didn't toch this for 4.9... it still worked for me under 4.10... but mabe its now time and they changed something with the handle ofthese splines.

MAybe somebody can clear me up here....

xunknownx
Explorer
i tried to run this roller coaster but it won't shop up in the rift.  i see it on my desktop, but on the rift, i just see oculus home.  and yes, external source is enabled.

raahilK
Explorer

xunknownx said:

i tried to run this roller coaster but it won't shop up in the rift.  i see it on my desktop, but on the rift, i just see oculus home.  and yes, external source is enabled.

Either close the oculus home app, or stop callign the Gear VR the oculus