cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrawings 2 has arrived on Steam - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Level 15

According to the developers, the PC version is the original version with different assets for both islands and planes compared to the Quest version - so PC and Quest version are not the same:

"[...] we developed the game first for PC then ported to Quest. The Quest version and PCVR version don't share the same island (or aircraft) assets."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1485140/discussions/0/2954914688110010409/

After seeing some videos showing the Quest 2 version, the game has indeed been massively improved for PCVR. The recommended system requirements are:

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4590 / AMD FX 8350
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 or equivalent
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 7 GB available space

Fun thing, devs originally stated a RTX 2070 as recommended gpu, but just changed it to GTX 1070. I did write in my review on Steam - and maybe they read it... 🤔

"Using an oc'ed RTX 3090 I'm getting solid 90 fps using Valve Index res 500%, so not sure why devs recommend a RTX 2070. Seems like a GTX 1070 will be more than fine."

Getting solid 90 fps with res 500% (an utterly extreme res of 45 mill pixels per frame combining both eyes) would indicate that I have tons of gpu power to spare in this game, and the game could have looked so much better if it was designed to use modern PC gaming rigs. That said, the game does look nice, and there are dynamic shadows. The sunlight looks great, and you do get the feeling of flying. Compared to Ultrawings, the sequel has more beautiful water, and polygon levels for the islands look similar. I only played Ultrawings using Rift CV1, because that game does not work with Revive. Using the Index, the much bigger fov - and res 500% - do provide a great and extremely sharp (no jaggies) experience.
Still would have loved more polygons for the islands and cities, but ultimately the game is fun and I look forward to getting back into the cockpit. The game works great with Index controllers.

The game is here:

Devs told me that native Oculus drivers are supported - so SteamVR should not start if you start the game from Oculus Home - I have not yet tested that, will do later with the Rift CV1. The game is not available in the Rift Store, but will be there maybe next week.

I took a few screenshots - Index res 500%, but scaled down to 1024 pixels width: 

download.jpg

Nice texture res

download (4).jpg

Also nice texture res here for the gun - but not for the ground

download (9).jpg

Controllers correctly identified - and work great

download (1).jpg
Water looks a lot better than Ultrawings 1 (the original game)

download (2).jpg
Boat aren't high-poly, but look nice nonetheless - you can see the dynamic shadows from the plane

download (3).jpg
See the relatively detailed dynamic shadow cast by the plane onto the runway

download (7).jpg
The sunlight looks great in the game - and some may get the idea that this game isn't for those very prone to motion sickness 😉

download (5).jpg
More sunlight on the wing - and the view distance is vast

download (6).jpg
Even if devs say, islands have different assets than the Quest verison, everything is very low-poly

download (8).jpg

You've got day and night time in the game - here shadows are getting longer as the day ends, and this does look great

download (10).jpgYou do get guns and can shoot down other planes - and also stuff on the ground

My rating probably 4.5/5. Screenshot by the devs:

ss_b80ca9f2ce20c7b142bb61219ca994337139211d.1920x1080.jpg

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

13 REPLIES 13

Rant Deleted by TomC

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

@RuneSR2  OK, now finally available on the Rift Store.  Cross-buy with Quest 2 and best of all it remembers where you got up to with each version (unlike my VivePort version that I needed to start off from the beginning again).  Very nice!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2534202786639297

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

My 10-year old son tried the game with the Rift CV1, but found it difficult to control and crashed the planes several times, lol. But great to see that the game is now available both in the Rift Store and on Steam. 

Played the game last night - not really doing anything, just took a free flight (well until the gas ran out after 5 minutes or so, lol - with the Comet). Ultrawings 2 provides an awesome sense of flying. I was a passenger in a real plane a few weeks ago and noticed how genuine Ultrawings 2 feels - really awesome work by the devs. I really get the feeling of sitting in a real plane when playing Ultrawings 2. Now this may be even better in FS2020 - but I can't run real sims using Index res 500% in solid 90 fps, lol. This is a giant advantage of Ultrawings 2 - you'll get awesome performance, and graphics aren't bad, even if much less advance than "real sims". Not sure any other VR game/sim will provide a better feeling of sitting in a plane...

So my love for the game is growing 🙂

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ya, I’m loving UW2 as well.  Now only using the Rift store version with my Q2 wireless with Air Link.  Took a while (2-3hrs game play) to get the heli in the nyc like regional airport and now I’m soooo happy; lol!