cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vader Immortal - better than the movies - best PCVR ever - Rift impressions and reviews

RuneSR2
Level 16
I didn't expect to be completely blown away by this experience - but exactly that happened. My review from the Store:

"This is probably the most impressive VR experience ever created, graphics are generally even better than Lone Echo - and I was starting to give up hope to experience such utterly awesome graphics with all these Quest games appearing lately. This version is NOT ported from the Quest - this is the original and extremely high-end version which was cut down to fit the Quest. The level of polygons are off the charts, and that's why you'll need a high-end cpu to run this game (I'm using an i7 7700K). Vader has so many polygons he simply looks real - he's tall - standing right next to you - as if you were truly there. The movies can't give you such an experence, thus this game/experience is better than the movies ๐Ÿ˜‰ Textures are highly detailed, you're not really going to find better textures anywhere, this is an AAA VR experience. It's short though, but the level of work it must have taken to make this is truly incredible. This is a must-have for the Rifts. Black levels on the CV1 are great, and I didn't notice the SDE, so the Oculus Jedi Masters probably helped the devs to get everything perfect. Forcing super sampling (ss) 2.0 using Oculus Tray Tool made everything look ultra-sharp even structures and buildings more than 100 meters away. But using ss 2.0 was expensive, I got 45 fps on my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080, but it was no big deal - thanks to ASW 2.0. For this experience image quality is way more important than solid 90 fps. 16GB system ram worked OK, I don't think having less than 32GB is a problem. Sound using the CV1 headphones was awesome - like being in a theater. Controls were fine, but this is more like a VR movie than a game. Some tutorials were designed for right-handed persons, and I'm left-handed, but I managed. You get an error when you're too close to walls, which the devs could have done better, but again it's no big deal. All in all - for now - you won't find a better VR experience, even if you're a Trekkie ;)"

You will need a RTX 2080 Ti to enjoy Vader Immortal in 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 (or very high levels of super sampling). I did measure my performance to be close to 45 fps several places, maybe a RTX 2080 Ti won't be enough, but it'll probably be close. Not sure if 32GB is completely wasted on this game, but it worked fine using 16GB though, but my rig has no programs running beside the Oculus software and Oculus Tray Tool. 

BTW, the glove textures are simply amazing, the gloves look like made of some kind of leather and check out the tiny thread - and the patina - there're nearly microscopic stains of dirt on the gloves, it simply looks real. The fighting sequences could be way better, but this is more an experience than a game - so I don't mind the more stiff fighting movements. When that first Imperial Star Destroyer arrived it was totally sharp, you could see all details or close - I don't think that would be possible without very high levels of super sampling, definitely not on the CV1. This is a very dark game, may not be great on a LCD - and it makes sense that people like the black levels much better on the Quest compared to the Rift-S (as described on Reddit). Black levels using CV1 were great, although OLED mura (SPUD) could be observed a few places. 

Ninja Theory, the team behind Hellblade, helped to create this experience:

"Creating a groundbreaking experience like Vader Immortal does not happen without the support of talented folks across our industry. In addition to screenwriter David S. Goyer and our friends at Oculus, we are proud to be working with Ninja Theory, an award-winning developer in the UK, and Epic Games, creators of Unreal Engine."

More info from the developers here: 
https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/vader-immortal-a-star-wars-vr-series-episode-i/

Hellblade is one of the most hardware demanding VR games, but it's also one of the most beautiful VR experiences ever created, it makes sense that Ninja Theory helped create another truly awesome VR experience.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTXโ„ข 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

81 REPLIES 81

Wildt
Level 12
@Alextended - I share a lot of your feelings about the main experience, but the Dojo part is like a nice little SW themed Fruit Ninja, and helps make the overall purchase worthwhile for me.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

adam_poole_313
Level 7
I'm not as enthusiastic about the game as others. The fidelity is great but if you look closer you will see there do not appear to be any dynamic lighting effects. I think that was how they optimized it for the Quest and they never bothered to add them for the Rift.  Its not that the game is "too dark" its that there are no dynamic lights or shadows so everything is either in total light or total darkness. The ultimate result is that black looks like gray and the whole thing just gets washed out. The opening interrogation scene, the scene where you are spying on Vader through the grates, and the final lightsaber scene.... you literally can't even see what is happening at times. I hope all the new AAA titles don't copy this format of just porting the Quest version.

As far as gameplay, the most important aspect should be saber dueling and I think its very lacking. The radius you have to stand in is way too small. Its too easy to accidentally creep to the edge or lunge forward too much and get a "step back" screen right as you thought you were about to score a hit.

Ultimately it does feel like you are in Star Wars film so they will continue to take my money but I really wish they'd take advantage of what the Rift can do.
Oculus Rift S, CV1
Intel i7-8700K
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
16GB DDR4 x 2
4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
Windows 10 Home

saami81
Level 8
Light saber practicing is indeed fun. I like how they added achievements also as Oculus home items. That 120/120 mark achievement requires some skill. Im not sure, if i even can get it.

Wildt said:

@Alextended - I share a lot of your feelings about the main experience, but the Dojo part is like nice little SW themed Fruit Ninja, and helps make the overall purchase worthwhile for me.

MrAnderson96543
Level 4
I would be happy if i could play this game longer than only 5-7 minutes. This is the only game that kills my Rift S. Especially when using the lightsaber. The game continues, but the cameras or even the HMD will shut down. So there is no tracking anymore. ๐Ÿ˜•

This is the only game in my entire gameslist that causes such an error. Hopefully there will be an update sometimes so i can play the experience to the end. ๐Ÿ˜ž

MowTin
Level 11

The ranged drone enemies have an audio cue to let you know they're about to fire so you can turn around but melee enemies don't seem to have a similar cue so you frantically look back and forth (until you realize they attack one at a time so you only need to watch who starts the animation first, then focus on him, then move to the other one after dealing with that combo).

In the last fight, the robots made a sound before they attacked. When I played I thought you had to listen for that sound if you were attacked from behind. But some are saying that you're only attacked if you look at the robot. 

Is the dojo combat different? 

I loved the game as an experience. Especially the interactions with the NPCs. We need more of that in VR.

The devs did seem inexperienced in VR. The moving through walls, the lack of proper smooth turning.and needing to be an a specific spot to trigger events are examples of inexperience. It could also be that it was originally teleport only and was changed late. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

ElusiveMarlin
Level 7

I would be happy if i could play this game longer than only 5-7 minutes. This is the only game that kills my Rift S. Especially when using the lightsaber. The game continues, but the cameras or even the HMD will shut down. So there is no tracking anymore. ๐Ÿ˜•

This is the only game in my entire gameslist that causes such an error. Hopefully there will be an update sometimes so i can play the experience to the end. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Exactly the same for me too. really gutted I cant experiance the entire thing.

I get 10 seconds in the Dojo before it  crashed to amber lights in the HMS and EVERY time I am pulled out of hyperspace at the begining of the experiance it looses all tracking, but the audio continues!

Going to have to refund it  as it is unplayable ๐Ÿ˜ž

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

MrAnderson96543
Level 4

Exactly the same for me too. really gutted I cant experiance the entire thing.

I get 10 seconds in the Dojo before it  crashed to amber lights in the HMS and EVERY time I am pulled out of hyperspace at the begining of the experiance it looses all tracking, but the audio continues!

Going to have to refund it  as it is unplayable ๐Ÿ˜ž

So i'm not the only person who experience this error. And yes. Out of the hyperspace, the screen goes black for a split second and looses all tracking. If i activate passthrough, then i have TV-static, so i guess the cameras are shut down.

I would like to know what causes this error and how i can solve this. For some people it works flawlessly with the Rift S. All my other games are running well without any issues at all.

Wildt
Level 12

MowTin said:
In the last fight, the robots made a sound before they attacked. When I played I thought you had to listen for that sound if you were attacked from behind. But some are saying that you're only attacked if you look at the robot. 

Is the dojo combat different? 
Yes. I'm not too sure about the first few waves, but later on they sure do attack you while you look the other way, and you need to rely on their audio cues.
I just beat the last wave (40) with 3 stars :sunglasses:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
Level 16

MowTin said:

But some are saying that you're only attacked if you look at the robot. 

Pretty sure that is a false rumor. I kept looking at Darth Vader the entire time. Watching in awe as he gave the enemies a beat down. I kept getting my ass kicked by the Robot fighting me because I was looking at Vader instead of my enemy.

Alextended
Level 5
I got my refund thankfully. But I forgot to uninstall the game prior and it doesn't show in the library to do that now. Can I just delete the folder manually? Are there separate leftover files like a save folder elsewhere?