cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vader Immortal looks terrible on CV1 and S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having issues with how Vader Immortal looks on both my CV1 and S and have seen other people reporting the same. The black levels and contrast seem way off. Nothing is truly black but instead just a dark grey. Entire areas appear as a solid grey mess with no lighting effects or gradients. There are multiple times where a character or object fades into the grey in a way that can't be intentional. For example in the opening scene I cannot see the imperial who is talking to me except when he is right in my face, and in the final fight sequence I can hardly see the enemies at all. Ultimately I am comparing how my screen looks versus how the trailers look and there is clearly a substantial difference. I have heard from others that it looks fine on the Quest.

I am trying to see if this is happening with everyone on the Rift S? I haven't had this issue with any other games so far.
11 REPLIES 11

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Sure everything is set to High? Are you forcing some super sampling using Oculus Tray Tool? Still blacks look nice on my CV1, even if the OLED mura can be spotted a few places. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JediNizar
Protege
Can't confirm.. I don't know for me it was DARK and Black, even too dark for me at some points.
for example as Vader entered the prison cell, I couldn't see at some point the empire officer (forgot his name) he was completely hidden in the corner, also i found it too dark in the Temple etc...

I cannot compare with the quest vesion though but for me on the S it is truly black

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Yeah I found it too dark too but I presumed it was designed this way?

I still thought the graphics and everything else looked amazing though.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I'm having issues with how Vader Immortal looks on both my CV1 and S and have seen other people reporting the same. The black levels and contrast seem way off. Nothing is truly black but instead just a dark grey. Entire areas appear as a solid grey mess with no lighting effects or gradients. There are multiple times where a character or object fades into the grey in a way that can't be intentional. For example in the opening scene I cannot see the imperial who is talking to me except when he is right in my face, and in the final fight sequence I can hardly see the enemies at all. Ultimately I am comparing how my screen looks versus how the trailers look and there is clearly a substantial difference. I have heard from others that it looks fine on the Quest.

I am trying to see if this is happening with everyone on the Rift S? I haven't had this issue with any other games so far.

I haven't experienced this. It sounds like there's something wrong with your contrast. Arey ou connecting to displayport or using an adapter? Also, check if you changed anything in Nvidia control panel or whatever video card software you have. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everything is on the highest settings and I am just plugging directly into the video card with the displayport for the S and directly into HDMI with the CV1. I have turned off oculus tray tool. I am using a GeForce RTX 2080 TI.

This game isn't recognized by Geforce Experience so there is no way for it to be running any optimizations on it. I tested playing with the Nvideo settings but that is not even how the Rift works. You cannot change how the Rift displays using those settings, but I tested anyway and adjusting them has no effect. There used to be a workaround to adjust some settings by plugging in a monitor to the port, adjusting it, then plugging the Rift in... but they cut that off in an update a long time ago. In any case I am not experiencing this issue with any other games or apps so I can't see how it can be related to any of my video card settings.

I went through the game some more and really looked at certain things and I am now convinced that the game is just severely simplified to accommodate the quest and basically just ported that way to the Rift. The reason I say this is because you can clearly see that there are no dynamic lighting effects anywhere. None of the lights on the wall actually cast light or shadows they are just an animated glow. I took screen grabs of all of the areas that I felt looked grey and then tested their levels and they register all 0's so they are apparently true black. Everything just gets completely washed out with no lighting effects. They are basically going back to the way games were made 20 years ago which is incredibly disappointing. It explains how they managed to get the game to run well on the Quest but wow it looks terrible to me.

Also as a test I chose the temple as the arena for the dojo and it looks fine. I can actually see the walls all around me. That same part during story mode was completely blacked out. I think it is clearly they optimized this for the Quest and just kept it that way for the Rift.

Brian123
Explorer
I first tried this on a Quest and the detention scene where you first meet Vader looked amazing. Then today on the Rift S, that scene looked horrible. So much grey and no variation. Like, yes, maybe the grey is the deepest black the LCD can do, but it sure seems like so much detail was lost in it.

In the detention areas, looking left, towards the lifted chair, that whole side just seemed gray with no variation. I couldn’t even find the person talking to me at first. Then when Vader came in, it was hard to tell areas him apart from the environment.

Putting the Quest on, man, what a difference for that scene, I could see detail everywhere in that room, even the darkest areas. Details were definitely lacking, like the face on the alien. Heck, even the tool he gives you doesn’t spin when pulling the trigger like it does on Rift S.

Bummer the Rift S has such a weakness due to its LCD black levels, but it seemed really poorly optimized in this game, like details were being crushed.

Edit:

Found YouTube video showing Quest and Rift side by side.

https://youtu.be/v4FQwrp0Uiw

The detention scene on the Rift is almost all black at points, no wonder it looked so bad on Rift S. It’s like their attempt at more realistic lighting backfired vs the Quest’s simplified lighting. When the officer steps back before the door opens with Vader, he basically disappears into black. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@Brian123 I can report that I didn't have this expeience at all with the Rift-S. It was very dark. Like others said, too dark at times. 

Maybe there some setting in your video card setting for the DisplayPort. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Digikid1
Consultant
It looks perfectly fine on CV1.  Don't know what you're talking about.  No gray at all.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
In the end it is personal preference... like in many games where you either play the game with developer recommended gamma settings or light the scene up so you can see what is lurking in shadows even you're not supposed to.