cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT ABOUT OPEN WORLD????

daubbie56
Honored Guest
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW TO PLAY A GAME IN  FREE ROAM OR OPEN WORLD. SPECIFICALLY RED DEAD REDEMPTION  2 IN V/R OR 360????  I AM USING OCULUS GO. I CAN GET TO THE DEMO BUT IT DOESN'T LET ME PLAY!!!!   HELP!!!!!
17 REPLIES 17

Luciferous
Consultant
Well my post was accidental not an answer, I didn't mean to post so put that in my comment as you cannot delete posts. 

I am no expert and never owned one (why I was not going to post in the first place) but the GO is really a device aimed at consuming various forms of media such as films, music maybe a bit of internet surfing , some simple games but that's it. It does not have the capability of playing anything complex. The controller for one would not be suitable.

On the quest (next HMD up) you can either use the link cable or stream Steam from a  PC which means you could play Red Dead but only on something like Big Screen VR with an Xbox controller but you would be only playing it on a virtual screen, in a virtual room.  

Not sure if GO can stream from a PC?

Red Dead 2 cannot be played natively on any headset as it has no VR support. Boy I wish it did, would really fulfill my West World fantasies. You can play it in a fashion using VORPX and a PC with a suitable HMD. Not ideal though adn you have to buy VORPX also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=110&v=g26RRZALjow&feature=emb_logo

To play Open world games like 'No Mans Sky', 'Skyrim' and 'Fallout 4' you would need minimum Quest with a PC of a reasonable specification. 

You may be new to forums and so do not realise that CAPS represents shouting in the mind of the reader in the same way emoticons represents other actions. It is good for getting attention though but normally not the right kind. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

daubbie56 said:

OCULUS GO SAYS YOU CAN PLAY A GAME IN FREE ROAM OR OPEN WORLD BUT THEY DONT EXPLAIN HOW. THERE ARE VIDEOS SHOWING SOMEONE ELSE DOING IT BUT I DON'T CONTROL THE CHARACTER

They probably mean the most basic of games like you get for mobile. You would need a decent PC and the Oculus Rift S if you want to play games like Fallout 4 and No Mans Sky etc. However, Red Dead Redemption isn't a VR game. Interestingly when the game was being made though it did contain some code relating to VR according to one source.

On saying all this here are some games that don't look that bad. Will probably give you some idea as to what the Oculus GO is capable of

Daubbie
Sightseer
ok.....thanks for the explanation....meant no harm! Just hoping to get attention!
Anyway, I will attempt to attach a video about what I am referring to.  If it can't be done, so be it, but someone should tell them to remove all these YouTube videos about doing it. Sorry if I offended anyone!  
Anyway here's the link I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX6Y2wSpcs

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Daubbie said:

ok.....thanks for the explanation....meant no harm! Just hoping to get attention!
Anyway, I will attempt to attach a video about what I am referring to.  If it can't be done, so be it, but someone should tell them to remove all these YouTube videos about doing it. Sorry if I offended anyone!  
Anyway here's the link I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX6Y2wSpcs

That is just the Game Red Dead Redemption played on a Monitor, I saw no mention of Oculus GO in that link. I do love playing this game even on my monitor though.

Daubbie
Sightseer
ok....seems like everyone else is right & I am wrong. Can anyone recommend the next step up in order to do what I want?  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Daubbie said:

ok....seems like everyone else is right & I am wrong. Can anyone recommend the next step up in order to do what I want?  

Get a gaming pc, play the game in 2D. There is no VR support for this game.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Daubbie said:

There is no way to play that game in VR apart from using VorpX.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to play an open world game in VR then try Skyrim VR, Fallout 4 VR and the GTA V VR Mod, but you'll need to get a different headset to do this.

No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous are two more games with plenty to explore and lots of things to do.