cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Rift Demo do you wish you had experienced first?

lovelyhead
Protege
I am due to receive my Rift in the next few days and was wondering which Rift Demo do you wish had been your first experience of VR?
19 REPLIES 19

Frito
Explorer
Dumpy!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Someguitarist
Explorer
Titans of Space.

Dumpy was amazing too, but Titans is nice and slow and doesn't involve any movement on your part, so you can ease yourself in....

VRoom
Honored Guest
I'm quite happy I went with Tuscany demo. The scale and details are great and it really gives you a taste of what Oculus Rift is all about. It also helps that it's set in real-life environment that we all know, so the scale of objects is even more impressive.
My second choice would be Titans of Space.

Welby
Adventurer
I'll begin with Tuscany because is one of the most calm demo right now 😄 And you can get used to VR environment to not get sick too fast 😄

ZuluPilot
Honored Guest
I can't decide if I should try Blue Marble or Titans Of Space first. Titans seems better for the most part but Blue Marble has this wonderfully melancholic vibe to it that I really love (especially with the Sunshine Addagio playing).
But yeah, these two are definitely the first ones I'll try.

Also from what I've heard I'd say it's always best to start with something with a cockpit to get used to the Rift, so Tuscany might not be all that perfect. I have no basis for comparison of course but Hawken definitely didn't give me any nauseau at all despite me trying very hard to stress test my stomach and I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to the cockpit.

ianmacmillan
Explorer
no contest: Heli-Hell.

360FOV
Honored Guest
Tuscany is the first one I tried and I am glad I did. When I looked over at the house and it was full scale like a VR house should be I was instantly sold on the Rift. I would recommend it as a first for anyone!
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

Ganjaroach
Explorer
Like most people Tuscany was the first I tried and I it's prob the best thing to try first. Every person I let try the rift that's what they do first. Its a visually pleasing demo and really shows the scale and 3D of things nicely after a few minutes you will be able to tell if you are susceptible to VR sickness and to what degree. Most of the people I have let try it didn't have any problems starting with Tuscany. My gf on the other hand got sick pretty much instantly after being in the rift for like 5 minutes. She had to lay down but she gets motion sickness and sea sickness very easily. She is able to play most games that don't have any type of walking or running.

Depending on how strong your "VR legs" are you can then determine what type of games u should start checking out. 🙂 Games like Blue Marble and Titans of Space are great for showing the scale of things in the rift. If you like scaring the crap out of your self Horror games are something to experience it's nothing like playing a horror game on a monitor. The roller coaster demo's are another good way to judge how strong your "VR legs" are.

All in all your first experience in the rift should be something calm and slow so you can enjoy the 3D effect and the amazing scale of objects in the rift. 😄

lovelyhead
Protege
Thanks guys. I received my Rift today.

First impressions:

I never want to play another game on a monitor again! Incredible.

I had low expectations going into it with regard to the screen door effect, motion blur and low resolution. However as far as I am concerned they don't even matter. The experience is just incredible. It is like being transported to another world. The display isn't even as bad as what a lot of people have been making out.

I have so far played (in this order) the Oculus setup demo (which is great for getting used to the Rift as you are fixed in place with only head movement), Tuscany demo, Dumpy Elephants (Crazy weird), Titans of Space (Simply brilliant. One of the most amazing experiences I have ever had) and Riftcoaster.

Forget the PS4 and XBone. The Rift is the real next gen system.

I have played for about an hour so far and it seems my VR legs are pretty sturdy! Strangely it makes you quite hungry! I am sitting eating chocolate cake now!

I will be playing iRacing later tonight to get a feel for how racing games feel in the Rift.

This has been the best £230 I have spent in my life. No doubt.