cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which are your favorite 10 exclusive (=unavailable in the Oculus Store) SteamVR games?

RuneSR2
Level 16

Maybe I was too harsh about Steam in another thread - complaining that SteamVR has little non-garbage VR content, especially when removing all the 2D ports (games not fully developed for VR, but also supporting 2D). Then again, many of the 2D ports aren't bad and provide - maybe - the most content compared to all other VR games except Asgard's Wrath. 

Also Steam is more cluttered - it's harder to find new and great games due to limited categories. Maybe we can help and inspire each other in this thread, there might be VR gems hidden deep in the dark Steam lair which I have overlooked.

In short, which are your 10 favorite exclusive SteamVR games? (These games must be unavailable in the Oculus Store, but it's ok if they are on VivePort or in the Epic Store). 

My exclusive SteamVR favorites would probably be:

1. Half-Life: Alyx (impossible to top this one):

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (by modding this game can be anything you want)

3. Star Wars: Squadrons (supports native Oculus drivers, the best Star Wars experience ever - if you want to fly a spaceship):

4. Doom VFR (really feels like .... Doom! But first after full locomotion was made available):

5. FallOut4 VR (might need that RTX 3090, but it's still a great game):

6. Overload (it's really true Descent in VR - and works with HOTAS):

7. Compound (it's simply fun - and solid 144 fps in 144 Hz even using a GTX 1080):

8. HellSplit: Arena (because it's ... Ghost'n Goblins in VR for adults? 🤣 )

9. Gnomes & Goblins (supports native Oculus drivers, and needs an oled hmd, but it's simply a fascinating world to experience when you get to the last chapter = open world):

10. No Man's Sky VR (graphics aren't that good using lcd hmds, but the utterly gigantic amount of content makes up for that):

Runners up:

Vanishing Realms, Borderlands 2 VR (supports native Oculus drivers), Stride (supports native Oculus drivers), Polybius (supports native Oculus drivers and Touch, use the beta), Garden of the Sea, The Lab, Dead Effect 2 VR, Moose Life (another 144 fps in 144Hz game, even if you don't have the fastest gpu, needs gamepad though), and A Wake Inn (great concept, but I need to play it more).

Both Stride and Gnomes & Goblins were announced in the Oculus Store last year, but suddenly vanished. Note as written above that the Steam versions of both games support native Oculus drivers. 

Btw, for those looking for gems in the Oculus Store, this thread might be helpful:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/List-of-Rift-killer-apps-and-games-by-user-ratings/td-...

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

3 REPLIES 3

RuneSR2
Level 16

Star Wars Squadrons is now 50 % off on Steam, so 20 bucks 🙂

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 16

Finally tried Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, because it's one of the highest ranking VR Only games/apps on Steam - based on user ratings. 

It was a great disappointment to me - clearly the dev has little comprehension of great design. The settings menu felt really cluttered - tons of options that seems to hide that there's no full locomotion. Gun handling felt weird, I like Medal of Honor A & B much better - even Compound is muh better.

The game basically is a shooting (gun handling) sim where nothing really goes on. Felt empty. If this is one of the best Steam VR Only apps, then that is truly sad. 

Even the worst Oculus exclusive are miles ahead of Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades. If I should be positive, performance was ok, even if worse than Boneworks - and textures were ok too. Guns looked nice.

Instant refund to me, probably never coming back. Waste of time. 

ss_c91b8a3b7e3bed26bfb3603cc5a7f086ede247d4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_910bca5cb20a1fcf2cb3ece485f793510f48f3e8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_848205a4bff3668342d083d359365ba3f6ff71fd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_0bd59091bdad9e479d6bd3790187966b21a3cde7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ca00fbe44fb6de4c8b1299105f3d953f307d103b.1920x1080.jpg

     

RuneSR2
Level 16

Note that there's currently a large Steam sale going on - see all the VR games and apps here:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=402&specials=1

Personally I just bought this high-rated game for just $2:

- and I bought a RockStar Game - especially because it should support native Oculus drivers:

- sadly close to nothing is on sale in the Rift Store, seems like Steam is totally taking over. Maybe we soon need a list of all games with native Oculus drivers, because these games perform exactly as well as games bought in the Rift Store.

Also this post isn't really relevant in this thread, but at least the two games mentioned aren't available in the Rift Store for the same low price 😉