cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which game to buy first?

GenetixStudio
Superstar
My Rift order processed today and is shipping out! I've already downloaded the free games and apps but am tempted to buy everything else on the store. I definitely plan to buy Chronos, Project Cars, and The Climb - but will only get one at first - which game would you pick up first? There are a lot of other games I want to try at some point, are there any that you would get before these 3?
17 REPLIES 17

wickfut
Expert Protege

Luciferous
Consultant

1. Chronos which would have a wider appeal.

2. Elite Dangerous (Although this may have a smaller audience as it takes commitment to play this game)

3. Adr1ft (For pure immersion and stunning visuals)

4. Project Cars (but only if you like car racing games. I tend to get bored of them easy). I am usually half way round when I start trying to ram cars off the road and wishing I had guns on the roof.

I have also played some Vive titles with my hydras which are great but the novelty wears off quick. Most are just proof of concepts at the moment. The gallery star seed one looks good but the game play is way too short. Saving that for my touches, touchi err whatever the plural is.

Thug
Heroic Explorer
Another for Project Cars.
Don't write off The Climb if you only have a controller though as it's still very good and well worth a look.
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

flyingsaucers
Expert Protege
I'm also pondering this, as my Rift is arriving today.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Adr1ft, which sucks because I wanted it to be good. I'll probably go w/ Chronos & Farlands.

On a related note, are there any older games that have been retrofitted for VR? I heard about people playing Dishonored in the DK2 days, but I didn't have a headset so didn't get the details. I would love to play Dishonored in VR, as it's one of my all time favorite games.

Luciferous
Consultant

@flyingsaucers I think Adr1ft is incredible. Its like being in the film gravity. I think it is the most immersive game out there. 

The climb does not really appeal to me, maybe if I had touch controllers and it worked with them. I remember playing on the climbing wall in the original Gallery game with Hydras, now that was clever but X-Box controllers I am not feeling it. Maybe if you could also throw things at opponents like goats or spikes.

GenetixStudio
Superstar

I have to say I would definetly get Project Cars first because I have a racing wheel. I wouldn't recommend this game as much to someone without a racing wheel. The nice thing about project cars for right now as far as immersion is it doesn't need the touch to make you feel like you're really there. Once the touch comes out, I might think of getting the climb. Right now it doesn't seem like it'd be that much fun with just an Xbox controller. My vote might be a bit swayed because I love racing games so much though.

That sounds awesome, I have never bought a racing wheel - anyone have a good recommendation for one that works well but is not over $100?

Map63Vette
Adventurer

That sounds awesome, I have never bought a racing wheel - anyone have a good recommendation for one that works well but is not over $100?

That's probably a tough recommendation.  In my book, without force feedback (FFB) a wheel just isn't really worth it.  I bought one years ago for Gran Turismo on the PS2 and barely made it through the first corner before I turned the game off, packed the wheel back up, and returned it.  The Logitech G27 is an older model that is frequently recommended as a good starter.  I think it's around $300-350.  I think there might be some FFB wheels around $150, but I knew I wanted more realistic pedals too, so that was below the budget I was looking at.

Aekero
Heroic Explorer
Chronos is probably the most bang for your buck, and if you're a fan of adventure games, can't go wrong.