cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Caliber FINALLY available in the Oculus Store!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Fresh from the bakery ($25):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2239010642792458

https://youtu.be/02Wnp6KuTyQ

https://youtu.be/wzkTk4wEZ18

https://youtu.be/QY9CDTwNryA

pql78d7ireeo.jpg
g0i0wqua17jb.jpg
h97as106ge05.jpg
8qalk9lpsq1c.jpg
2slan1iicy1c.jpg
asamkv3nn6q4.jpg
3oqa0zdmlz9p.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

11 REPLIES 11

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'm not really fond of early access, but this game seems to be popular on Steam - to some degree. The first review has worried me more than a bit, although 2080 Ti owners may not need to care 😉

xw7dxd3ptxix.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Everything looks better today - would like to see at least 20 ratings though... Currently there're only 6 ratings:

9ecgqztuonmm.jpg

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Games like this are critiqued to the nth degree by their very nature, since these games attract a very strict and dedicated community of Shooter enthusiasts. If a bullet flies through a single wall or a player walks through just one tree... omfg 1-star!

pyroth309
Visionary
I've been playing this the last two days and yea it's a monster. I'm running it at 178% supersampled on medium graphics with the resolution slider thing all the way right. I also have WMR re-projection on and it even dips under 45 every now and then.
The game itself is a bit janky but that's to be expected at this point. It reminds me a lot of the original Rainbow Six games back in the day. I have been really enjoying this though. My AI teammates are kind of stupid and get in my way a lot but for an early access game, so far after about 8 hours of playtime it's an easy 3.5-4 stars from me. I haven't run into any bugs or other glitches that I've noticed other people complaining about. But I haven't finished all the missions yet. It's definitely making me want to get a rifle stock.

I do feel like some of the objectives are kind of simple/pointless but overall it's a pretty fun shooter.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

I've been playing this the last two days and yea it's a monster. I'm running it at 178% supersampled on medium graphics with the resolution slider thing all the way right. I also have WMR re-projection on and it even dips under 45 every now and then.
The game itself is a bit janky but that's to be expected at this point. It reminds me a lot of the original Rainbow Six games back in the day. I have been really enjoying this though. My AI teammates are kind of stupid and get in my way a lot but for an early access game, so far after about 8 hours of playtime it's an easy 3.5-4 stars from me. I haven't run into any bugs or other glitches that I've noticed other people complaining about. But I haven't finished all the missions yet. It's definitely making me want to get a rifle stock.

I do feel like some of the objectives are kind of simple/pointless but overall it's a pretty fun shooter.

It's still early access?? 

What's your hardware?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

pyroth309
Visionary

MowTin said:

pyroth309 said:

It's still early access?? 

What's your hardware?

It is on Steam at least. I got a GTX 1080  and an I5 6600K which is overlocked to 4.5 ghz.

Since I made that post I spent more time experimenting with settings and now running on high with the supersampling down to 120 I think with TAA anti-aliasing on. I had to turn on TAA to stop some flickering of textures I was getting that were totally ruining the game. Decided I'd rather deal with blur than Flicker.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Spent a few hours playing this yesterday and have really been enjoying it. Probably the best VR shooter I've played so far. What really sells it for me is that all the detection zones for grabbing weapons and spare magazines, holstering weapons and reloading fresh magazines into the guns, all just work really smoothly with no faffing around trying to find the right sweet spots etc. So that in the heat of an intense battle I can quickly eject a magazine, whip out a fresh one, load it and cock the weapon ready in little more than a couple of seconds without hardly looking; it feels very intuitive and everything just feels it's in the right place where you expect it to be. In so many other VR shooters, I often end up grabbing the wrong things or really having to focus on looking at where I'm reaching to get equipment and weapons from holsters and belts etc, but this one has all that nailed really nicely. It really helps make the whole experience just that much more enjoyable and as a result, one I want to go back to and keep playing.

The weapons themselves are good fun to use and feel good. All the different weapons feel different enough from each other to make them feel quite varied, so that you can find a couple to suit your tastes and loadout. You can fire weapons single handedly at a pinch if needed but otherwise you'll need both hands to steady the recoil. Sweet spots to grip the weapons to do that, are on the whole very good, making it easy to do so and handle them. Scopes and sights all work very nicely too. The shooting and weapon handling part all feels like it's had a decent amount of time spent on getting it all to feel just right and fun and hassle free to use.

The game itself is essentially a Call of Duty type military shooter affair. Proceed to checkpoint and shoot down a wave or two of bad guys, or press through points to stop the enemy respawn etc. There's often plenty of options for cover and climbing up onto building and things (although I thought the climbing still felt a bit rough and hit and miss at the moment). There's lots of buildings to enter, so you get the occasional bit of CQB. There's also a reasonable amount of variety to the locations that I've played and so far it's never felt cut and paste. I'm not saying there aren't reused assets, just that all the buildings and locations feel different enough from each other that you never get that feeling of "Haven't I been in this building before, back down the road?".

The game has a single player campaign that can also be played in co-op with a total of 4 players. As you complete missions, you gain experience points and cash, unlocking weapons and attachments in the armoury, with which you can load up with before going out on missions. You can also pick up and keep with you, anything you can scavenge from the battlefield in terms of weapons and attachments, even if you haven't yet unlocked them, and if you die you will still respawn with what you were carrying. If you drop them though (dropped stuff disappears after several seconds), you'll have to find some new ones. Whilst the magazine clips have limited ammo (usually 20-30 rounds), you carry an unlimited supply of spare clips in your waist pouches, and you'll pull out magazines for whatever weapon you are holding at the time. You can have two weapons holstered and two grenades (which are really easy to throw btw), and carry a third gun in your hands should you need to quickly make use of one looted from a body. Another nice little touch is that when you holster a weapon on your left side with your right hand, it keeps the orientation of the weapon ready for right handed use instead of auto flipping it for the left hand side, and visa versa.

So, as I've already mentioned, it feels like a good amount of time and effort has been spent getting the meat and veg of the game, the gun play and combat, feeling just right and fun and intuitive to play. And yes, shooting down the armies of bad guys that get thrown at you is good fun, and some of the fire fights can get pretty intense. The friendly and enemy AI could use a bit more work, but it's not terrible. Enemies often hang back behind cover in certain areas, but in others where they advance, they can be funneled through choke points for easy kills in some areas. Often though the sheer number of enemies coupled with having to manually reload the clips into your weapons, means that you're always kept on your toes in single player. Haven't tried it co-op yet, so I'm not sure if it scales the difficulty up in co-op. I've been playing on medium difficulty and it's been nicely challenging without being to tough or too easy. You can take a good pasting before you go down, enabling you to beat a hasty retreat if needs be.

The game is still in early access at the moment, and things like the missions, scenery and AI could all do with a bit of work and refinement, but overall, for an Early Access title, it's pretty good already. The core of the game, which is the guns and shooting, is in my opinion very good and up there with the best I've tried so far. So if you're looking for a fun CoD type shooter in VR, then I'd highly recommend this.

pyroth309
Visionary
Pretty much agreed on all points. Great review. I was also playing on medium I haven't had time to play anything in past couple of days due to being wiped out from work but one of the complaints I do have on medium is how much damage I can take. I'm actually going to try harder next time I play and see if it's any better. But yeah there's something to be said about some of the fire fights they get pretty intense and the shooting mechanics are nailed. Its alot of fun.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hi
Is this cross platform multiplayer with steam users?
Thanks
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂