cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best PC game with rift support?

usb420
Honored Guest
I don't own any of the games that support the rift so far. I'm mostly a console gamer so I just don't have very many PC games.

I was thinking of getting either Half Life 2, Mirror's edge or Dear Esther, maybe Skyrim.

Just wondering if any of the supported games are "must-see" demonstrations of the rift in action?
which one is the best rift experience?
13 REPLIES 13

captaintrips
Explorer
the community DOOM 3 BFG edition Oculus mod is pretty awesome... personally its better than some of the official stuff right now (hl2, tf2) which still need a bit of control tweaking and dont seem to have the same feeling of immersion.

sheavymetal
Honored Guest
"captaintrips" wrote:
the community DOOM 3 BFG edition Oculus mod is pretty awesome... personally its better than some of the official stuff right now (hl2, tf2) which still need a bit of control tweaking and dont seem to have the same feeling of immersion.

Where does one get this mod?

captaintrips
Explorer
Full instructions, links, and dicussion all polished into one fine article by the epic Cymatic Bruce... and all right here:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/27/cymatic-bruce-doom-3-bfg-oculus-rift-support-5327

lenawayj
Honored Guest
Team Fortress 2 and Hawken (after a config file tweak) are really it at the moment. I've never got the Perception drivers working correctly so haven't had any luck with Dear Ester, Mirror's Edge, etc. (no head tracking and 3d never lines up)

The other game I'd recommend, because it's one of the few demos that's actually a game right now is Proton Pulse (and it's fun.) Here's the other thread on it: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=600

But it's basically like playing 3d breakout with your face as the paddle. Also the old school color scheme makes it feel more classic, so the low resolution isn't as much of a distraction. (looks more like an old arcade game on a projector)

usb420
Honored Guest
Thanks guys, I actually have Doom 3 already but not the BFG edition. I wonder if it'll work with that?

evil1
Honored Guest
I actually have Doom 3 already but not the BFG edition. I wonder if it'll work with that?

Afraid not, you will need Doom 3 BFG :cry:

lenawayj
Honored Guest
Yeah, the BFG version added stereoscopic 3d support. (which is what they're modding to use oculus)

captaintrips
Explorer
"lenawayj" wrote:
Yeah, the BFG version added stereoscopic 3d support. (which is what they're modding to use oculus)

So I guess that means ever seeing native Oculus support for "Prey" (which uses the Doom 3 idtech4 engine) is out the window :cry:

Shame, Prey was one of those games that almost purely exist to be played on something like the rift with all its mind-messing gravitational/wall walking/warping/portal surrealism.

sheavymetal
Honored Guest
"captaintrips" wrote:
Full instructions, links, and dicussion all polished into one fine article by the epic Cymatic Bruce... and all right here:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/27/cymatic-bruce-doom-3-bfg-oculus-rift-support-5327

Thank you so much! Purchasing as we speak! 😄