vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [UPDATED March 17th]

GrimPinata
Honored Guest

New in this update:
- Linux version of vr.training
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in-order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions

vr.training is a first person stealth game inspired by Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2's virtual training missions. Navigate your way through a simulated environment and evade hostile agents to complete your mission.

I can't think of many games that have had more of an impact on me than the Thief and Metal Gear series' so naturally this was the first thing I wanted to do when I got my development kit. Stealth games really hinge on players being given good situational awareness tools and I think the Rift has a ton of potential in enhancing gameplay in this genre. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did working on it. Let me know what you think!

Gameplay:
Select your mission in the main menu. All missions begin with locating and decoding the dossier containing your orders. The mission's goals will be outlined for you on retrieval.

The meter on the left indicates how aware of you enemy agents are. Once this meter fills up, a chase will begin. The meter on the right shows your health. Your goals are shown along the top of the screen. The location of some objectives will be marked in the world with a floating blue diamond. Good luck, Agent.

Controls:
Keyboard
Movement - wasd
Looking - Mouse
Interact - e
Crouch - left ctrl
Sprint - left shift
Map - tab
Pause - escape
Select (menus) - enter, space, left click
Back (menus) - escape
Rotation Sensitivity Up - '
Rotation Sensitivity Down - ;
Reset Sensitivity - \
Volume Up - .
Volume Down - ,
Reset Volume - /

Controller
Movement - left thumbstick
Looking - right thumbstick
Interact - A button
Crouch - B button
Sprint - left bumper, press in the left thumbstick
Map - Y button or right bumper
Pause - start button
Select (menus) - A button, X button
Back (menus) - B button, select button

Debug Keys
f - toggles enemy footprints on/off
p - toggles enemy agents ignoring the player
i - toggles player invulnerability
k - kills the player

Default Oculus menu keys are active (space, z, c, b, etc).

I think it plays best with a controller, but a mouse and keyboard works too. If the bindings aren't your cup of tea, hold the "alt" key right after launching the program to bring up the Launcher window and set your own binds from the Input tab.

Bugs:
- crouching while interacting with an objective will reset the progress bar
- using both keyboard and controller sprint buttons results in super speed (and vomit)
- enemy footsteps can't be heard behind the player

Downloads:
vr.training for Windows, Mac, and Linux at Oculus Share

Changelog:
v0.4 b500
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions
- fixed a bug with enemy path finding that allowed them to enter and shoot through walls
- fixed a bug where players could open the pause menu after death or activating the mission exit
- fixed a bug where time occasionally remained frozen after the pause menu had closed
- fixed a bug where game could get stuck in an alert phase after all enemy agents resumed patrolling

v0.3 b267
- added mission selection
- added difficulty selection
- added a pause menu
- added a fourth mission that can only be accessed when random mission is selected
- using any debug keys during a mission is now reflected on the scoreboard
- changed "Kill Player" hotkey from "Enter" to "k"

v0.2 b169
- added new mission type "Plant Bugs"
- added new mission type "Pickpocket"
- added bullet trails to enemy gunfire
- fixed a bug where an enemy agent's arm could get stuck in the aim position
- added stat tracking and a scoreboard at the end of each mission (current mission stats only)
- objectives should no longer spawn on top of each other
- added "invulnerable" developer hotkey ("i")
- players can now move while interacting with objectives

v0.1 b121
- mouse cursor is now locked and hidden
- re-worded objective text
- interacting with objectives now freezes player movement

vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [Updated March 17th]
70 REPLIES 70

Frito
Explorer
positional hydras would work great with this i imagine....

Dlin!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

drash
Heroic Explorer
Just got a chance to try this. Really cool! Always a pleasant surprise to see a another good demo come out of left field. I found this game definitely drives home the need to be stealthy and take your time getting a good bearing on your surroundings. My first few gung-ho attempts failed miserably. 🙂 This is actually really challenging and am still working on getting to all the laptops. I like the simple yet *very* polished aesthetic and gameplay. And it even looks good in 1280x800.

The only thing I can be critical of is that the mouse cursor flying around bugs me (and breaks immersion). Unless you needed it for something, I'd suggest throwing a Screen.lockCursor = true; Screen.showCursor = false; in there somewhere. 🙂

Thanks for sharing this, it's great fun!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
The only thing I can be critical of is that the mouse cursor flying around bugs me (and breaks immersion).

That's a really good point, I'll add it to my list of things to fix. I suppose it's another reason this demo plays a bit better with a controller.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed it 😄

ThomasPasieka
Explorer

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"ThomasPasieka" wrote:
Would like to give this a spin but no Mac version?

Unfortunately, no 😞

Ganjaroach
Explorer

I really enjoyed this game, It's great to be able to play a game like MGS in the rift! Tilting your head to lean around corners works really well. Being able to hear there foot steps really adds to the immersion plus it helps to know where they are. Having a 3d minimap would be really cool and some more levels with different layouts would be nice. Thanks for sharing and I hope to see more!

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"ganjaroach" wrote:
Having a 3d minimap would be really cool and some more levels with different layouts would be nice.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that video! I'm glad you enjoyed it 😄

I'd definitely love to add more mission types and environments to the demo. I doubt I'll be able to resist picking up a pro license for very long. I actually didn't do much to make the leaning work; the default oculus prefab worked really well on its own. It was mostly a matter of tweaking the player's collider size.

I experimented a little bit with a minimap but I found that the Rift's screen real estate was very precious, and when I did have a minimap, I spent more time looking at it than actually taking cues from the environment. I think with a higher resolution display it would be very do-able though. Dread Halls did a really good job with its minimap.

Ganjaroach
Explorer
It really sucks that you have to have pro unity 3d for oculus rift.. You would think the oculus team would want as much exposure and games as possible. I can understand if someone wanted to sell there game but to just make a demo not so much. 😞

DarkJames
Honored Guest
Does there happen to be a Mac build of this? Looks super cool!
Seeing is believing