vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [UPDATED March 17th]

GrimPinata
Level 2

New in this update:
- Linux version of vr.training
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in-order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions

vr.training is a first person stealth game inspired by Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2's virtual training missions. Navigate your way through a simulated environment and evade hostile agents to complete your mission.

I can't think of many games that have had more of an impact on me than the Thief and Metal Gear series' so naturally this was the first thing I wanted to do when I got my development kit. Stealth games really hinge on players being given good situational awareness tools and I think the Rift has a ton of potential in enhancing gameplay in this genre. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did working on it. Let me know what you think!

Gameplay:
Select your mission in the main menu. All missions begin with locating and decoding the dossier containing your orders. The mission's goals will be outlined for you on retrieval.

The meter on the left indicates how aware of you enemy agents are. Once this meter fills up, a chase will begin. The meter on the right shows your health. Your goals are shown along the top of the screen. The location of some objectives will be marked in the world with a floating blue diamond. Good luck, Agent.

Controls:
Keyboard
Movement - wasd
Looking - Mouse
Interact - e
Crouch - left ctrl
Sprint - left shift
Map - tab
Pause - escape
Select (menus) - enter, space, left click
Back (menus) - escape
Rotation Sensitivity Up - '
Rotation Sensitivity Down - ;
Reset Sensitivity - \
Volume Up - .
Volume Down - ,
Reset Volume - /

Controller
Movement - left thumbstick
Looking - right thumbstick
Interact - A button
Crouch - B button
Sprint - left bumper, press in the left thumbstick
Map - Y button or right bumper
Pause - start button
Select (menus) - A button, X button
Back (menus) - B button, select button

Debug Keys
f - toggles enemy footprints on/off
p - toggles enemy agents ignoring the player
i - toggles player invulnerability
k - kills the player

Default Oculus menu keys are active (space, z, c, b, etc).

I think it plays best with a controller, but a mouse and keyboard works too. If the bindings aren't your cup of tea, hold the "alt" key right after launching the program to bring up the Launcher window and set your own binds from the Input tab.

Bugs:
- crouching while interacting with an objective will reset the progress bar
- using both keyboard and controller sprint buttons results in super speed (and vomit)
- enemy footsteps can't be heard behind the player

Downloads:
vr.training for Windows, Mac, and Linux at Oculus Share

Changelog:
v0.4 b500
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions
- fixed a bug with enemy path finding that allowed them to enter and shoot through walls
- fixed a bug where players could open the pause menu after death or activating the mission exit
- fixed a bug where time occasionally remained frozen after the pause menu had closed
- fixed a bug where game could get stuck in an alert phase after all enemy agents resumed patrolling

v0.3 b267
- added mission selection
- added difficulty selection
- added a pause menu
- added a fourth mission that can only be accessed when random mission is selected
- using any debug keys during a mission is now reflected on the scoreboard
- changed "Kill Player" hotkey from "Enter" to "k"

v0.2 b169
- added new mission type "Plant Bugs"
- added new mission type "Pickpocket"
- added bullet trails to enemy gunfire
- fixed a bug where an enemy agent's arm could get stuck in the aim position
- added stat tracking and a scoreboard at the end of each mission (current mission stats only)
- objectives should no longer spawn on top of each other
- added "invulnerable" developer hotkey ("i")
- players can now move while interacting with objectives

v0.1 b121
- mouse cursor is now locked and hidden
- re-worded objective text
- interacting with objectives now freezes player movement

vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [Updated March 17th]
70 REPLIES 70

GrimPinata
Level 2
"drash" wrote:
What I've done is just grab a copy of the libOculusPlugin.so that shows up when targeting and building for 32-bit Linux

Thanks drash, I think that worked. It looks like the file sizes for the two libOculusPlugin.so files are different, so I imagine that's how you'd have to do it.

FictionX
Level 2
"GrimPinata" wrote:
"drash" wrote:
What I've done is just grab a copy of the libOculusPlugin.so that shows up when targeting and building for 32-bit Linux

Thanks drash, I think that worked. It looks like the file sizes for the two libOculusPlugin.so files are different, so I imagine that's how you'd have to do it.

Yup, that's it. The 64 bit .so won't work with the 32 bit binary and vice versa. I usually just grab it from another already-build 32 bit demo, but it is of course better to have it available in the release.

Thanks for your efforts! I've been thinking about doing a brief write-up on the (very few 😉 ) pitfalls of building for Linux, but I'm not quite sure where to put it.

GrimPinata
Level 2
"FictionX" wrote:
I've been thinking about doing a brief write-up on the (very few 😉 ) pitfalls of building for Linux, but I'm not quite sure where to put it.

That'd be pretty useful! Maybe in the Oculus General Development forum? It'd probably be a good idea to have it on something like tumblr and linked in your sig too.

S0lll0s
Level 2
"GrimPinata" wrote:
"FictionX" wrote:
I actually just noticed that the 32 bit version isn't working, since the 32 bit libOculusPlugin.so is missing.

Is it as simple to fix as copying libOculusPlugin.so from the 64bit plugins folder to the 32 bit folder or should I not bother building a 32 bit version?

"S0lll0s" wrote:
Mouse doesn't work, when I move it it continues to turn in that direction after I stop.

Is that in the main menu, in-game or both?

Both. The mouse is working, but the sensitivity is extremely high.

GrimPinata
Level 2
"S0lll0s" wrote:
Both. The mouse is working, but the sensitivity is extremely high.

You can adjust the sensitivity in-game with the ; and ' keys, though that may not be enough if it's already hyper sensitive.

GrimPinata
Level 2
vr.training 0.4 is up on Oculus Share and I've updated the original post with details.

I didn't get it into this update's credits in time, but special thanks to FictionX for helping me get the Linux version working!

FictionX
Level 2
"GrimPinata" wrote:
vr.training 0.4 is up on Oculus Share and I've updated the original post with details.

I didn't get it into this update's credits in time, but special thanks to FictionX for helping me get the Linux version working!

Thanks! I appreciate it! 🙂

I love this game! Can't wait to play it in DK2, peeking around corners (here's hoping you'll implement it!). It's gonna be intense!

Now get this thing on Steam, will you?! 🙂

vertexbreakers
Level 3
I've love this with DK1 !
Do you plan to upgrade for DK2 ?

GrimPinata
Level 2
I will at some point, yes!

TXSamTX
Level 2
I just downloaded this and when I run the program it tells me there's no sensor detected. I've tried running in Direct to Rift mode, and extended, making my Oculus my main monitor. Still won't pick up head tracking. Any help would be great, as this looks like a killer app. Thanks!