vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [UPDATED March 17th]

GrimPinata
Honored Guest

New in this update:
- Linux version of vr.training
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in-order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions

vr.training is a first person stealth game inspired by Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2's virtual training missions. Navigate your way through a simulated environment and evade hostile agents to complete your mission.

I can't think of many games that have had more of an impact on me than the Thief and Metal Gear series' so naturally this was the first thing I wanted to do when I got my development kit. Stealth games really hinge on players being given good situational awareness tools and I think the Rift has a ton of potential in enhancing gameplay in this genre. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did working on it. Let me know what you think!

Gameplay:
Select your mission in the main menu. All missions begin with locating and decoding the dossier containing your orders. The mission's goals will be outlined for you on retrieval.

The meter on the left indicates how aware of you enemy agents are. Once this meter fills up, a chase will begin. The meter on the right shows your health. Your goals are shown along the top of the screen. The location of some objectives will be marked in the world with a floating blue diamond. Good luck, Agent.

Controls:
Keyboard
Movement - wasd
Looking - Mouse
Interact - e
Crouch - left ctrl
Sprint - left shift
Map - tab
Pause - escape
Select (menus) - enter, space, left click
Back (menus) - escape
Rotation Sensitivity Up - '
Rotation Sensitivity Down - ;
Reset Sensitivity - \
Volume Up - .
Volume Down - ,
Reset Volume - /

Controller
Movement - left thumbstick
Looking - right thumbstick
Interact - A button
Crouch - B button
Sprint - left bumper, press in the left thumbstick
Map - Y button or right bumper
Pause - start button
Select (menus) - A button, X button
Back (menus) - B button, select button

Debug Keys
f - toggles enemy footprints on/off
p - toggles enemy agents ignoring the player
i - toggles player invulnerability
k - kills the player

Default Oculus menu keys are active (space, z, c, b, etc).

I think it plays best with a controller, but a mouse and keyboard works too. If the bindings aren't your cup of tea, hold the "alt" key right after launching the program to bring up the Launcher window and set your own binds from the Input tab.

Bugs:
- crouching while interacting with an objective will reset the progress bar
- using both keyboard and controller sprint buttons results in super speed (and vomit)
- enemy footsteps can't be heard behind the player

Downloads:
vr.training for Windows, Mac, and Linux at Oculus Share

Changelog:
v0.4 b500
- added new mission "Defuse Bomb"
- added environment selection
- added "facility" environment
- simulations are now unlocked in order (progression disabled if debug keys are used!)
- added procedural level generation
- added a map (tab on keyboard, Y or RB on controller)
- added hints to the pause menu (look to the left)
- added current mission details to the pause menu (look to the right)
- enemies light up floor tiles that they walk on (area based on simulation difficulty)
- added visual indication to the HUD when in an enemy's line of sight
- added new title screen
- added rotation sensitivity adjustment keys
- added volume adjustment keys
- added several performance optimizations
- removed several key binds that conflicted with default Oculus functions
- fixed a bug with enemy path finding that allowed them to enter and shoot through walls
- fixed a bug where players could open the pause menu after death or activating the mission exit
- fixed a bug where time occasionally remained frozen after the pause menu had closed
- fixed a bug where game could get stuck in an alert phase after all enemy agents resumed patrolling

v0.3 b267
- added mission selection
- added difficulty selection
- added a pause menu
- added a fourth mission that can only be accessed when random mission is selected
- using any debug keys during a mission is now reflected on the scoreboard
- changed "Kill Player" hotkey from "Enter" to "k"

v0.2 b169
- added new mission type "Plant Bugs"
- added new mission type "Pickpocket"
- added bullet trails to enemy gunfire
- fixed a bug where an enemy agent's arm could get stuck in the aim position
- added stat tracking and a scoreboard at the end of each mission (current mission stats only)
- objectives should no longer spawn on top of each other
- added "invulnerable" developer hotkey ("i")
- players can now move while interacting with objectives

v0.1 b121
- mouse cursor is now locked and hidden
- re-worded objective text
- interacting with objectives now freezes player movement

vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [Updated March 17th]
70 REPLIES 70

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"DarkJames" wrote:
Does there happen to be a Mac build of this? Looks super cool!

I'll be activating my 4-month Unity trial in a little bit here, and one of the first things I'll do is get OSX and Linux builds out. Stay tuned!

DarkJames
Honored Guest
"GrimPinata" wrote:
"DarkJames" wrote:
Does there happen to be a Mac build of this? Looks super cool!

I'll be activating my 4-month Unity trial in a little bit here, and one of the first things I'll do is get OSX and Linux builds out. Stay tuned!

Awesome! 😄

Can you not export to other OSs without a pro license? (I've been using Pro at work so I'm not familiar with the differences)
Seeing is believing

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"DarkJames" wrote:
Can you not export to other OSs without a pro license? (I've been using Pro at work so I'm not familiar with the differences)

The Oculus integration won't load in a project without a Pro license and I didn't have a means of testing OSX and Linux builds before my one month trial ran out.

SantiMun
Honored Guest
Grim this is one of my favorite new demos. I'm not sure why yet, but this demo gives me ZERO nausea despite how quickly your character moves. I find that fascinating because most other games that have your character move/strafe at that speed tend to make me feel queasy after a while. I've been thinking about why this is the case and I am thinking it is:
a) the lack of textures is very friendly on my PC (4770k, HD7950 Ghz ed.) and thus the frames are at a happy 60fps
b) the simple green vector-like visuals are easy on my eyes thus preventing any sort of strain I was not aware of
c) you have found the "sweet spot" on movement speed
d) all of the above

Either way your demo has made me more confident that quick moving First Person games ARE possible. I know other people may not experience the same queasiness as myself when it comes to fast movement but I find that most people who have played say, Half Life 2 for example, share my thoughts on fast FP motion and its effects.

Other than the mouse cursor showing up on game start, this is a wonderful demo!

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
"SantiMun" wrote:
I'm not sure why yet, but this demo gives me ZERO nausea despite how quickly your character moves. I find that fascinating because most other games that have your character move/strafe at that speed tend to make me feel queasy after a while.

Either way your demo has made me more confident that quick moving First Person games ARE possible. I know other people may not experience the same queasiness as myself when it comes to fast movement but I find that most people who have played say, Half Life 2 for example, share my thoughts on fast FP motion and its effects.

That's awesome! I'm so glad you don't get nausea or queasiness while playing the demo! I wasn't sure how people that tend to get motion sickness would respond to it. I also had some nausea issues playing Half Life 2 as well as a few other demos. I really love FPSs and it would be heartbreaking if the immersion the Rift offers ended up being incompatible with them. Those are really interesting points you make as to why you might not experience it in vr.training.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with different movement controls. I even spent about a week building a Mecanim driven movement control for the player (it handled more like a tank), but even though it looked cool, it was really impractical and a complete barf-fest. In the end I had a couple friends, who didn't have Rifts, help me tweak the movement till it felt "right."

To your point on simple vector lines and lack of textures, I wonder what effect the higher resolution screen will have on this and nausea.

"SantiMun" wrote:
Other than the mouse cursor showing up on game start...

Hah, that stupid mouse cursor is the first thing I'm going to fix.

museumsteve
Protege
Tried this last night and it was very slick. Good job 8-)

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
Thanks museumsteve!

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
I've added a Mac build as well as made a few small bug fixes and updated the original post. I don't have a mac to test it on, so let me know if it works and all the permissions are intact.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Works great

GrimPinata
Honored Guest
Cool beans. Thanks, rynkrt3!