cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender 2.83 - VR Mode!

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
Blender just released 2.83. Even though I've been anxiously awaiting the release (as I do EACH release)... I was NOT aware prior to downloading it that they just introduced VR mode, using OpenXR. I don't think you can actually easily edit in VR (if at all), but you can at least preview your meshes and get a feel for their true size. Tonight, I got a chance to set it up and get it working (launch it with blender_oculus.cmd, and enable the VR add-on), but it's getting late and I will have to play with it more tomorrow!

Anyone else excited about this? I was wondering how long it would before we saw a true professional-level 3D editor in VR, and it looks like we have the beginnings of one available now!

3 REPLIES 3

bill911stone
Explorer
Thanks for the news. I never got BlenderXR to work  but I tried 2.83 and it works. I then opened an Oculus Dash Virtual Desktop panel and was able to interact with Blender by making a Blender window float within the environment.That means we can edit in VR.

BiovizierMantri
Explorer
If it can do something like I describe below, I would be quite interested...
(copied from my post in General Development)
I'm looking for an appropriate application for doing the following (1 and 2 below). I'd like to take some existing line art I have and animate it, sort of like a moving scene in a window box. I'm fiddling with Quill, but I'm not certain it is the best app to use for dealing with imported flat images.

1) One method I envision is to use a scan of b/w 2D line art and apply it onto a flat mesh that can be manipulated. For example, I have a face rendering that I'd like to apply depth to, so I want to import the flat image onto a grid and stretch and mold it into a 3d object, sort of the way you sculpt terrain in Unity.

2) Another idea is to animate a character from line art by splitting parts of the drawing into separate layers that can be colored and animated. Imagine moving cardboard cutouts of arms, legs, body and face on layers at varying depths. 

Have you worked with imported 2d images in Blender? This project will ultimately be for viewing in VR...

Christine_tina
Honored Guest
I tried for one week to find whats wrong. Everything is correct. I use an Oculus Rift S. I did reinstall Blender(2.83 released) and the Oculus App(latest ver.). Did start the "blender_oculus.cmd" File. The path in "oculus.json" is correct. Did restart my PC multiple times. Did activate and deactivate the Addon. Every time if i try to start VR Session comes this error message    Error: No format matching OpenXR runtime supported swapchain formats found.