cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy Oculus Rift inside moving Car

MRD_IOSB
Honored Guest
Hi Guys,

i am currently working on a project which involves using a Oculus Rift headset while inside a driving car.
And i ran into some problems, since this is not really the common use case of this product.

But first to my setup:
All the components are stored inside the car. This means, that i want to track my POV relative to the vehicle.
Additionally i currently use Unity to render my virtual Environment.

Now to my main issue:  The tracked pose is not only the relative pose to the car. The orientation seems to be relative to the real ground, not the car.
Due to the nature of this problem i can't "compensate" for it, without needing some manual calibration from time to time.

My best guess is, that this originates from the solidly written code ẃhich corrects moving the camera, while someone being inside VR.
This algorithm could constantly recognize the movement of the camera and headset and thus compensate for the rotation in the real world, which is done by the car.

I also started the same simulation on my desk. But in there everything is perfectly relative to the virtual car and of course also relative to my real desk.
To clear things up: The tracking should only give me the pose relative to the camera. But somehow it registers the car turning, and corrects the orientation of the pov.

@imperativity answered  a quite similar question here. The question was about ignoring IMU data and writing a custom tracking solution.
-In theory i could manipulate the raw data, so that the accelerations of the car get canceled out.
Is this possible today? Or do you see a potential workaround for my special problem?

In case the problem really originates from the recalibration of the camera position, my questions would be the following:
Does anyone know some way to configure the Rift, in order to prevent this reorientation feature?

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings from Germany,
Tobias
0 REPLIES 0